• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big upgrade at little cost?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
.....obviously it was info posted on a extreme condition with lots of heat built up and power applied and a engine builders opinion with lots of experiences. to help with the discussion show me a counter argument instead of rhetorical question.....

I haven't had too many of my MVs run hot, are you having issues that make you want to modify your truck? I just don't see a reason to mess around. I've flat towed an 813 from Indy to my house and didn't have issues with the truck running hot, I don't understand why the mod is needed, but I don't understand lots of things. If you just want to tinker, I understand that!

On the egt side, have you done any of the air filter mods that some of the others have done? Helping air in to the motor helps a lot. I guess you could put an aux radiator over the tool box and plumb the trans lines to it, seen it done a lot for rock crawlers.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Fuel dilution/cloud/waxing happens in cold environments and long COLD idling instances .....I live at 400 elevation where my temps range from 110F to 30F ill just add a additive during the winter...

"IF" my truck starts to show signs of wet stacking Ill make necessary changes to stop it
DO NOT LOWER the coolant Temp, the military trucks run cool to start with, YOU are WRONG about only being at 400' , in fact the engines could use a bit HIGHER operating temp.

You ASKED for ADVICE, it was given to you from people that OBVIOUS know more about this issue or you would not have asked for advice, you have been given some VERY GOOD TRUE ADVICE, I am sorry that you do not AGREE with this advice so next time DO NOT ask for advice if you already know more then the advice givers about the issues, if you want to argue about the ANSWER that is given you by EXPERTS not being the RIGHT answer, I could be still married to my X and get the same thing about not giving the correct answer.

Your truck, do what ever you want to do as what we say will only be a waste of time as you know more then we do.

A KGR approved this message, a NON KGR is waiting on standby.

fattboy123456

I haven't had too many of my MVs run hot, are you having issues that make you want to modify your truck? I just don't see a reason to mess around. I've flat towed an 813 from Indy to my house and didn't have issues with the truck running hot, I don't understand why the mod is needed, but I don't understand lots of things. If you just want to tinker, I understand that!

On the egt side, have you done any of the air filter mods that some of the others have done? Helping air in to the motor helps a lot. I guess you could put an aux radiator over the tool box and plumb the trans lines to it, seen it done a lot for rock crawlers.

No issues was just pondering its quite clear in my very first post i was just asking.......

fattboy123456

DO NOT LOWER the coolant Temp, the military trucks run cool to start with, YOU are WRONG about only being at 400' , in fact the engines could use a bit HIGHER operating temp.

You ASKED for ADVICE, it was given to you from people that OBVIOUS know more about this issue or you would not have asked for advice, you have been given some VERY GOOD TRUE ADVICE, I am sorry that you do not AGREE with this advice so next time DO NOT ask for advice if you already know more then the advice givers about the issues, if you want to argue about the ANSWER that is given you by EXPERTS not being the RIGHT answer, I could be still married to my X and get the same thing about not giving the correct answer.

Your truck, do what ever you want to do as what we say will only be a waste of time as you know more then we do.

A KGR approved this message, a NON KGR is waiting on standby.

Lol so many of you guys must just cut and past responses
Yes its my truck and I know thanks!
I can disagree with every post i want thanks dad.....
Just because most of you are scared to think out side the box dont put me in yours LOL (its sucks in there)
And if I ask for advise or start a discussion and some one says something false or retarded im going to troll them on it Get over it

I dont need opinions I need facts! like i said above if you haven't done it or had personal experience doing it I dont need your 2 cents keep it

Yes I love to tinker and improve I love to make mistakes and learn.....I dont like to live in bubble wrap with foil on my head

Love you all just some a little less :D

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
WE gave you FACTS which you do not want to believe, You ASKED for advice, we gave the advice you asked for which you "KNOW" is wrong, so WHY waste every bodies time if you are already a expert, you think our answers are cut and paste, boy do you have a lot to learn, our answers are gathered from YEARS of experience, I think your dad has a lot to teach you, one thing is do NOT insult people that you are asking advice /help from "Just because most of you are scared to think out side the box dont put me in yours LOL (its sucks in there)" ." And if I ask for advise or start a discussion and some one says something false or retarded im going to troll them on it Get over it" why ask if you already know the answer though what you know is wrong so think the correct answer is wrong.

What does "troll" mean or your think this is a fishing site.

LOL Lost On Loser is what our trying to help has turned into and yes as you know from first hand experience, I would guess it does suck to be there.

I see you becoming one of our most valued members in a very short time.

Last edited:

infidel got me

I think that most of the replies that you received were from members trying to protect/help you to not waste your time or possibly damage your engine. As stated- a lot of members on here have a lot more knowledge/experience with the upgrades discussed. Just my 2cents worth.

red

Since you don't like the answers from these MV people post up on another forum that has more of a vehicle modification section and thinks outside the box more often. Pirate4x4.com, cumminsforum.com are 2 large ones that come to mind.

Cold diesel engines are not as efficient until they warm up to 180-200 degrees operating temperature. That's when the materials have expanded to make the best seal. Maximum safe EGT's vary depending on piston, head, valve, and block material. The aluminum pistons in the NHC250 engine begin to deform/melt around 1100-1200F sustained temps.

If these trucks had a undersized radiator or low flow water pump a lower temp tstat would be beneficial to allow full coolant flow earlier. Neither the m809 or m939 series have these concerns UNLESS you have a problem like a plugged cooling system. They ran in Iraq at 140+ degrees ambient temperature without overheating, your temps in Cali are not an issue for the truck.

red

If the trans is overheating pick up a auxiliary oil cooler and plumb it in. For less than $150 you can set that up.

For more engine power on the cheap get the air filter upgrade and run a 6" straight pipe exhaust. Different fuel button and the dual fuel line mod. Keep an eye on your EGT's

JohnnyBM931A2

If the trans is overheating pick up a auxiliary oil cooler and plumb it in. For less than $150 you can set that up.

For more engine power on the cheap get the air filter upgrade and run a 6" straight pipe exhaust. Different fuel button and the dual fuel line mod. Keep an eye on your EGT's
He's already done all those things (except dual fuel line mod, since he has an 8.3.) He wants more on top of what he already has.

Csm Davis

I believe where fat boy is looking to shave off some heat makes some sense if as his article and gimp pointed out that a drag race engine will be better with cooler Temps but not any engine running for more than a few minutes like ours or any street driven vehicle. As others have posted the running temperature of a street driven engine will be better hotter but what you want to cool if possible is the air going into the combustion chamber, it does get some heat from the intake walls but much more from the turbo and where you draw in air. I have played with cooling the air charge in many ways and lowering your coolant Temps is not advantageous unless you have an over heating problem.
Now ram air and intercoolers and getting that hot restrictive aftercooler out of the intake will help. I have thought about even cooling the aftercooler separately until I can afford to upgrade to a Volvo intercooler.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks