• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Biggest Box for LMTV

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deshet,

Real world testing is hard to find, but your right about what happens in the field. ... I field test my big ones on courses that the military uses.. (Read on base) in hard turns, slaloms, dirt and hard pavement.
I have run the 1086 AUSSIE (with FULL load )in a hard turn, and power slid the rear in the soft dirt around a corner. Video shows very little top- heavy sway. The truck took more than the driver could...(or would)
Again, Engineer the truck well, and they will be safe... weigh, axles and re weigh .. balance loads, tanks opposite gensets etc.
If you are not an engineer, find one.. try local fabricators, they are usually very adept at telling you that your idea is crazy, and offer solutions if needed.
See you on the trails!

uh oh a home build.jpg

I appreciate all of the comments and insight from everyone.
The thing that I can't seem to wrap my head around is how 3000 pounds can actually affect the stability of a class 6 truck. I understand slight understand 3000 pounds being something that you are aware similar to a 25' boat behind a diesel F350; you no it is there but it doesn't effect the truck capabilities enough to mention.
I have owned internationals 4700 and 4900. Excursions, C4500, C5500 and F450's and it would be hard for 3000 pounds to affect the stability of any of these trucks. My single cab F450 4x4 has a 12 tall steel box and a 20,000 winch up front on a steel bumper and it always seems stable although has tons of weight hanging off the front and rear. I understand the kite effect that the box has with the wind but that effects all trucks the same way that don't have wind deflectors. Is it possible that some are confusing the characteristics of a loaded truck vs an unloaded truck with instability. These trucks were meant to be driven by young inexperienced drivers, I don't think they would have such high success in the Army if they could not endure a lot of abuse, overloading, improper loading, and plain reckless driving. I can only imagine the obstacles that this truck had to complete before it could be added to the Military operational inventory. (I have seen enough on Youtube and heard about enough on Ft. Bragg)
I have spent most of my life around the military and know that MOV see a lot of abuse especially when leadership isn't watching.

I guess I will find out in the near term.

Thanks

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks