• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blazers dead, need glow plug help

Blake

This morning it was really cold outside and when I turned the key, I knew something was wrong. The glow plug lights comes on and stays on and goes off like it should but the glow plug solenoid doesnt kick in and stay in like it should on the initial cold start. The glow plugs are cycling on and off and not staying on long enough for the plugs to heat up and make the truck start.

is this a controller problem or temp sensor problem? New SS diesel supply glow plugs were put in about 6 months ago and test OK.

Has been working great until this morning.

mangus580

Sounds like a controller problem. If the solenoid is clicking on and off, that means the temp switch is allowing it to activate.

Make sure you are getting power to the plugs when it does switch on. How long does it stay on?

Blake

about 3 seconds on, 3 seconds off. It acts like it does after the motor starts on a cold morning and the glow plugs cycle on and off for a little bit. The light stays on like it should on a cold start but you can hear the glow plugs cycling on and off. I unplugged the controller and plugged it back in and it still didnt help it.

mangus580

How did you test the GP's? usually the controller just wont turn them on at all when it fails. This sounds more like failed plugs, or no voltage going to the plugs.

Blake

unplugged the wire to each plug and test light the plugs.

How would they not be getting voltage if the solenoid is cyling on and off? When the glow plugs were bad before (6 months ago) the light would just turn on and then turn right back off.

mangus580

If the temp sensor on the motor thinks its hot, they would never come on. (at least thats what mine did when it failed). Did you check for voltage? Maybe a resistor failed, or the solenoid failed?

Blake

Ill check it when I get home tonight. I put a new solenoid on it when I put the plugs in it for good measure. I think the controller is screwed up. Probably had its roots with Macintosh

Blake

Im going to check it out tonight when I get home. I dont have the money to throw new parts at it. Ill check it out tonight after work

rizzo

any update opn this problem. I think the temp sensor in my 1008 failed cause the "wait" light doesn't come on and I don't hear the GP's cycling on and off.

comments?

where is the best place to get the temp sensor? I thought I read somewhere that it was different from the civi.

thanks in advance

rizzo

I tried to bypass the thermostat today . nothing happened. the "wait" light still didn't come on.

I jumped the solenoid for 10 sec and tried to start it it didn't start. I did that a few more times and it didn't start.

comments or suggestions?