• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

blinkers not working

vincentbsll

My blinkers have quit working and I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on what could be wrong. I thought the blinker controller on the steering column was bad so I replaced it today. Tried the blinkers after changing it out and all it does is light up solid on the indication. No flash and no lights on the outside. My headlights taillights and brake lights all work fine though. Any help would be nice as to where to look next.

41cl8m5

I had the same thing a few years ago and found the ground wire going to the fender from the blinker box had a open inside the rubber casing. Everything looked fine until I started to bend the wire and found the break. Striped the ground wire at the break and reconnected it. Now it works like it should. before I did this I replaced the switch......nogo, replaced the blinker control on the drivers fender......nogo. Made sure the light bulbs were good and went to looking at the wires with a meter thats when I found the "open",

Good luck

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check ALL of your grounds. The one at the blinker controller only one of a few that could be bad.

If you check all of your grounds and the system still does not work, find the TMs relating to checking the circuits out and start checking with a multimeter...

That's the way I had to do it and you will appreciate it, afterwards...it is helpfull to print out the 20 or so pages and take them to the truck with you...

Heath_h49008

Mine was/is the wiring going into the flasher unit. (Caught sight of 3 inch sparks... gotta love tracking 24v wiring issues!)

I will have to repin my cannon-plug to fix it and retest the unit. But if it helps it was doing the exact same thing as yours.

F18hornetM

Mine was the flasher itself, mounted on the fender. Its possible its bad grounds, but if they light but not flash, commonly its the flasher. Same with commercial trucks.
ARyankee- that was an interesting article. If I had constant troubles, I'd look for a commercial flasher. So far only the one bad.

Last edited:

vincentbsll

OK so I messed with the ground under the flasher on the drivers side fender. Put it back together and they worked for about 10 sec. I then ran a whole new ground wire and it did the same thing again. Works about 10sec then quits. I know for sure I'm getting power to the flasher pin so no problem there. Anyone think maybe the flasher box on the fender is bad. If so is there a better replacement?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are your brake lights on all the time? I had an issue like yours, the turn lights would not blink stayed solid all the time when turned on, but my stop light was on solid too. Turned out to be the brake light switch on the front of the airpack had fluid in it. Took it off, drained it out, blew it out with air and everything resumed functioning properly.

Last edited:

jbsapp

I had the same thing happen to my flasher module. Would work for a while then when the truck heated up it would stop. Buy a new flasher. Sand any grounding connections and install new star washers.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I mounted my flasher on the firewall instead of the fender. The vibrations the inner fender had, I can see why they go bad sometimes. I mounted mine on the firewall and have not had a problem with one going bad after that. I am not saying there is not a heavier duty flasher out there, but it helps anyway. That is just my experience and opinion. If I have one go bad again, I would like to cut up one of my bad flashers and get the plug from it to i can make my own flasher unit from a commercial unit and not modify my original wiring harness.

maxspeed3

I didn't want to start a new thread as I am having somewhat the same issue with my truck. The turn signals work, flashers, and the headlights work, but when I hit the switch on the floor to turn the high beams on the headlights shut off... Also my brake lights don't work when the pedal is pushed, just the turn signals and flashers like I mentioned...

Anybody have an idea what it could be? Maybe a bad ground, or a fuse burned out? I haven't touched anything electrical on the truck. However I did recently do a clutch swap, maybe I bumped something under the dash. I haven't troubleshooted too much yet, just looking for some ideas were to start at.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check and see if you have power at the headlight bulbs. Run a test jumper across the brake light switch and see if your bubls turn on.

Anybody that is electrical savy, i started a thread that shows how i had a bad solder joint in My turn signal switch that caused me problems. It was a long time ago so i forget exactly what I said in it. But that could be something to look at too. The turn signal switches come apart fairly easy and can be serviced like that. I am sure a lot of turn signal switches get thrown out that are actually good if somebody reflowed the solder and fixed the solder joint properly. The soldering in my turn signal switch was very poor. No wonder why the flashers quit, turn signals quit and push button head light switches fail. If the quality control in the rest of the system is like what I saw in my turn signal switch... i can see why we have problems sometimes. Id rather fix any component that buy new usually... at least I know what I have when I am done. Plus I learn more about the truck.... good stuff!

steelandcanvas

OK so I messed with the ground under the flasher on the drivers side fender. Put it back together and they worked for about 10 sec. I then ran a whole new ground wire and it did the same thing again. Works about 10sec then quits. I know for sure I'm getting power to the flasher pin so no problem there. Anyone think maybe the flasher box on the fender is bad. If so is there a better replacement?
Did any of these suggestions fix your problem?

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto on the "Check your ground" connections at the blinker. I had the same problem and found a bad ground at the fender.

Good Luck............... Gremlins in the wiring are a real pain!

vincentbsll

Ok so if anyone wants to know a cheap fix for the flasher, I went to Napa and ordered a 24 volt 3 prong flasher installed it today and it works perfect. Only $25 fix also. The 3 blades on the flasher were for signal, load, and notification light. Only the signal and load will need to be wired and no need for the original ground. I attached it to the firewall so no more bad vibrations from the fender. Maybe this will help someone else out. I have the part number for the flasher and will repost it later.

Dipstick

I had a problem with my front turn signals not working. It turned out that the connectors for the b.o. marker light and left front turn signal were reversed. I now have working front and rear turn signals. I do have one other issue. My front parking lights don't come on when my three lever switch is in service drive and park. I can get the headlights without front markers or the markers without headlights. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks!