• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Block Heater Install

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

Just installed Kats 11612 in my 009, no runs, no drip, no errors. On 4th hot cold cycle and all seems good. I'll provide update when I finally do plug it in. Used my nut driver and once hand tight I gave it a 1/4 turn with socket and all seems good to this point. Hope my trany holds up!!! Lol

Nuke113

Ok so now that my 1028 is running and moving again I plugged it in last night and this morning the block was nice and warm so the second Kats heater seems to have been a success. Also installed a set of 60G's today which seemed to make the starting much nicer.

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

Finally plugged my oil pan and block heater in today and both worked great. Oil pan was nice and warm and the engine and intake were warm to the touch. All worked great and truck started up within 3-4 seconds. Block heater not leaking and all seems good. It took a week and half gallon of added coolant to let all the air bleed out of cooling system. I'm glad I waited before plugging it in.

HoosierDaddy

Boy do I feel fortunate. Just bought my 1028 and we get hit with -2F and colder weather. First attempt at a start this cold was a chore but I got her figured out. The last two cold starts have been relatively easy.
I'm actually a bit amazed at how well this thing starts in the extreme cold. I think it runs better at start up than my 7.3 did.

Lesson #1 , if the starting procedure calls for you to floor it while cranking it is not just a suggestion ... it is mandatory!
PO had installed a manual GP switch but the "wait" light still works so I time the light and repeat the gp cycle one more time then crank. (2 gp cycles in total)

First thing I will do is swap out the oil to 0w-40 syn. , that was the single most important thing I did with my 7.3 Powerstroke to help cold weather starting.
Otherwise , item #1 is to be sure your GP system is operating properly , then do the heaters.
I really think sharecroppers advice that warming the oil is probably more or as important as warming the coolant.
I might try the oil heater first just to test the theory.

av8rnik

plugging in my block heater for the first time tonight. I have run the truck for about two weeks without using the heater to make sure i got all the air out. Recovery bottle for fluid has been at the same level since mid-last week so i think it is good. For some reason i am still nervous something will happen. I have it set to run for 2 hours, it isn't getting that cold tonight. Fingers crossed...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks