• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Block heater

muttly

Has anyone installed a phillips temro 1000watt block heater in their 6.2 engine? I put one in my m1008 last year and never used it. Installed one in my M1009 last month and it failed right away. I then checked the one in my m1008 and it was open (infinite resistance) also. I requested and received a replacement heater but before I installed it I made a few checks. The new heater had 14.8 ohms resistance and drew 8.5 amps. I filled the cooling system with new 50\50 antifreeze drove around until the engine was warm. I topped off the radiator the next day and energized the heater with a 110 volt 60 hertz GFCI circuit. Checked it the next day and found the heater failed open again. The defective heaters were installed as per instructions and show no outward signs of damage. I have contacted the factory in Minnesota and they confirmed it was the correct heater for the application, and have no answer as to why they have failed. I suggested that maybe the 1000 watt heater was too much and was told to try the 600 watt heater. My confidence in this product is waning and before I take another glycol bath I thought I would check for feedback from the CUCV gurus.

TheMod

I just went through the same situation with Kat's heaters in a customers old diesel tractor. 3 failed in a row after first use. I run the same heater in my M1009 for the past 3 years and never had an issue. It turned out to be a bad batch or bad luck. The 4th one has been working great for the past 2 months.

I'd say give it another go

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

muttly

I just went through the same situation with Kat's heaters in a customers old diesel tractor. 3 failed in a row after first use. I run the same heater in my M1009 for the past 3 years and never had an issue. It turned out to be a bad batch or bad luck. The 4th one has been working great for the past 2 months.

That stinks! I really don't like to get glycol on me. How can something be sticky and slimly at the same time?

Jeepadict

I've seen similar things over the years. Single-use failures are an anomaly, exercise their warranty until ya get a good one. Test it in a bucket of water or metal pipe full of water before having to keep getting a bath in Glycol.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

muttly

I've seen similar things over the years. Single-use failures are an anomaly, exercise their warranty until ya get a good one. Test it in a bucket of water or metal pipe full of water before having to keep getting a bath in Glycol.

I did test the last one but it didn't pass the 24 hr test

Jeepadict

I did test the last one but it didn't pass the 24 hr test
Prolonged tests like that should have plenty of heat dicipating ability so the element doesn't overheat. Before I install mine I give a momentary plug with the element dry in my hand...really hot in seconds. Never had an issue with any block heater plugged in for days on end.

My fire department has an 03 F-550 chassis cab with 6.0L Powerstroke for our airport crash rescue truck. The manufacturer tied the block heater together with the shore cord battery charger so it has been plugged in since they took delivery...17 years of being plugged in, still stays toasty warm.

muttly

Prolonged tests like that should have plenty of heat dicipating ability so the element doesn't overheat. Before I install mine I give a momentary plug with the element dry in my hand...really hot in seconds. Never had an issue with any block heater plugged in for days on end.

My fire department has an 03 F-550 chassis cab with 6.0L Powerstroke for our airport crash rescue truck. The manufacturer tied the block heater together with the shore cord battery charger so it has been plugged in since they took delivery...17 years of being plugged in, still stays toasty warm.

I bench tested for a moment in a tub of water to get a baseline amperage reading. What I meant by 24 hr test was after I installed the heater, filled the cooling system, ran the engine until warm, allowed to cool, topped off coolant and then plugged it in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks