• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed 5 ton

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is hoping like crazy to you. There can be tire hop from the tires or there is sprag hop and when it's sprag hop the front end just about would come off the road. As said with the bigger tires air pressure is you friend. I run 45lb and the ride is not bad but you can feel a little side walll flex in the turns but you get use to it. There is also them problem of high unsprung weight and the tires having a little flat spot from sitting. It takes more then a couple of miles to get this much rubber warmed up to the point they might relax a bit.
Did you get one of the USMC dumps?
Looks good and have fun.

MIKES 5 TON

ya it was originally a dump has 11348 miles great condition motor and drive train wise, i have 75lbs psi front and rear now so i am going to try 50 front 35 rear , just put all new belts and hoses on, flushed the entire system aned , all fluids changed truck is like new , just need to do something with the bed almost dont want to beat on it now lol. next weekend ill have it at horse hole mud bog inglis fl ill get some pics ..............thanks for the help

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you cut down you bed yet on that bober? Looks like it is not cut in the pics.
I have a bobed 818 and 105 bed. I have noticed sometimes when I am pulling someone out of the mud or the right conditions she hops. I know we build them for ease of driving and reduce weight but I feel the truck could use and carrie no problem more weight. Sounds a little out there but water bags seem a good choise if water and a pump were close?
The next truck mod will be one of the USMC 816 and leave it a tandem. I will remove cab cover and add front lockers and front locking hubs. I think the extra axle, dump bed and front winch will be just enough weight to take care of that little problem.
Not to hijack be my M920 dropside Deuce bed on 53' does real well in the mud if it don't get deeper than Half way up the diff. if it's thick mud. The bed gives it some good weight over the whole frame rails. The outher way it works well is the fact how long it is and short run holes. The front wheels clear of the hole by the time the rear diff is just hitting the hole. Wish I had all three axles with lockers and front locking hubs. The truck would be pretty strong.
It's been said on the board before if your going to bob anything your best to atleast put lockers in the rear.

Last edited:

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
James, on your dump you talk about lockers and lock out hubs. Are there different type lockers for the 5 tons and do they make lock outs for them? I'm not enlightened on the 5 ton equipment. Sounds just like what I was thinking about next truck. Ron

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a few of the USMC 816's and will just rob one of the rear diff's to put in the front. Believe they are Detroit. Thought there talk of air lockers but I have not seen that axle yet. As for the front lockout's heard they are out there just and arm and leg. Got some super singles for that truck to.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boy was I confused. I thought they were some kind of air lockers that were just on the 5 ton axle. Would you use the detroit locker in both the rear axles? I've never heard of 5 ton lock out hubs, that would be good. It would be alot of money to get it all set up, but man what truck. Thanks

Kalashnikov

What are your plan for the rear Detroit from the dump? How come you chose to bob a dump instead of an 818 or an 813?

Definitely a nice lookin truck.

MIKES 5 TON

Used a dump becasue thats what the guy i had i traded lol, it has the detroit in the rear the extra rear is at a friends and still has one in it also. Pete did you sell your bobbed 5 ton havnt seen out by the road down there. As for you guys talking about lock outs the monster trucks use to have them back in the day and you can find them now and again still but you better break out the wallet they run about 5,000!!!!!!!!!!!! And as for hooping ya they tend to do that but i think its because of the weights loss, i took out the cross memeber above the rears also so mines even lighter got it weighed and its at 16,000#'s i planed on mounting a spare to the rear of the bed baha style and putting a head ache rack on it and track bars i think that would be enough to fix that problem thanks for all the complaments

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PB Blaster works great on the lug nuts, just have to let them soak for a day or two. Still got mine, got it priced high enough so no one buys it, and I can still play with it. But have to keep the "for sale" sign on it to keep the bookeeper happy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks