• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bobbed 5ton costs

scarab63

These things are hard. Couldn't get the bead to seat.
Dropping the rest off at a tire shop before my hernia is touching my toes.

Last edited:

grendel

I plan to do something similar, but with Peterbuilt air ride rear suspension and MRAP front springs... get it a bit lower and riding a bit more comfortable.

Last edited:

grendel

I can't tell, did you change your rear shackle angle? If you left it as it was, it will kick up with the spring and not return, I.E it will bind without some sort of "kick back device".

Also, as you drive forward, the shackle wants to move back, with the inertia and in the same direction the spring is changing shape in. Any time I do a suspension with shackles, I try to set the shackle at 100 degrees or so to the back of the truck, unless in the front of a truck with the shackle forward on the spring. If you want a softer ride, 120 degrees works great, as the shackle has less resistance to the spring changing shape (getting flatter or longer). It does unload faster and could hit the frame.

This is a good article to read. Yes, smaller springs, but leaf springs all do the same thing. http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/article-93.htm

Pay attention to how the shackle loads and unloads.

This is the pic I mean, hit one bump and there's nothing to take that shackle back down. Your spring would be sitting on the frame.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=606347&d=1454595472

post-147281-13129826371740047214.jpg

Last edited:

scarab63

Interesting. This diagram was in your link which shows what we were shooting for
The softer ride.
But yes , I understand what you're saying about the shackle getting pinned up against the frame.
Maybe I'll put chain restrictions on them, bump stops , or just move the bracket all together in the future if it becomes an issue. For now I think I'm going to continue to finish the project and see if the shackle angle becomes an issue down the road.

Attachments

grendel

Interesting. This diagram was in your link which shows what we were shooting for
The softer ride.
But yes , I understand what you're saying about the shackle getting pinned up against the frame.
Maybe I'll put chain restrictions on them, bump stops , or just move the bracket all together in the future if it becomes an issue. For now I think I'm going to continue to finish the project and see if the shackle angle becomes an issue down the road.
I certainly get the softer ride and frequently change the shackle angle to do that. I just do it the other way, so the spring's tension can pull it back, instead of locking it up. I'd move your shackle hanger bracket to where it says TP70, clamp it down and flex the snot out of the rear.

Last edited:

scarab63

I'm baaacckkk......
Didn't get much work done in the past 3 or 4 weeks. Took her on a couple road tests and some light duty 4x4ing.

Got the bed on today. Looks good I think. 6" c chanel on top of the tractor frame rails to get the bed to sit up higher giving the wheels more space in the wheel wells and keeping a flowing (close) rocker panel line for the cab/bed.

Next on the hit list is cutting the remaining frame rails, big 1/2" plate to box the rear frame rails with a receiver hitch, exhaust (couple different ideas, undecided ) and a few big light bars.

Attachments

scarab63

Frame cut, hitch welded on. Need to fill gap between bed and hitch. Thinking of expanded steel with a big l.e.d protected behind it.

Driven truck about 200 miles w.o. issues. Took the wife for a cruise. She approves !

Right now straight pipe dumps behind cab. I must be getting old cuz it's kind of annoying.

Think I'm going to mellow it down with a mbrp can , stack, and see how that sounds.

Basically wrapping things up. It'll be fully complete with exhaust and light bars soon.

Attachments

Last edited:

grendel

Very nice man. We started on ours. Mainly unbolting stuff. How much frame rail did you have to cut? I think I am leaving the tire carrier in (have a hydro tank there, too) and doing dual stacks.

scarab63

About 18" of frame was cut. I left 6" gap between cab / bed for exhaust if I decide to go that route???....

I may try running the exhaust all the way down the inside of the frame rails and putting a rear stack at the back of the bed a little taller than the cargo racks. Just something a little different. Got a few ideas rattling around upstairs still.

ScubaCat

Picked up a marine drop side bed today- don't know what i'm going to do with it but I got one now. Scarab63 i'm at the point where you were yesterday but still waiting on my driveshaft and now its raining so no work done on 5 ton today:sad:
What's the diff between a standard drop bed and a Marine one?

infidel got me

What's the diff between a standard drop bed and a Marine one?
Marine drop side beds have 4 individual drop down sides. A regular drop side bed only has two. The Marines style bed is designed to haul shipping containers and has locks incorporated in the bed to lock them down. The sides are higher on the Marine style bed also.

jatonka

My 923 4x4 uses a 12' deuce bed and really matches up nicely in proportion to the whole truck. There's a pic on the front page of my website. PM with questions or comments.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks