• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed deuce speed

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Years ago I was at the USMC base in Yermo, Ca. I bought an M37 on sealed bid. Next to the DRMO yard was the motor pool.

I moseyed over and talked with a mech, and he led me out back to a fenced yard full of hundreds of Multifuel engines on pallets.

All had rod failures with the center web blown out. His feeling was there was a design defect when Hercules copied the MAN design.

He referred to them as 'lightbulb engines, 'cause you never knew when it would burn out'.

DG

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Years ago I was at the USMC base in Yermo, Ca. I bought an M37 on sealed bid. Next to the DRMO yard was the motor pool.

I moseyed over and talked with a mech, and he led me out back to a fenced yard full of hundreds of Multifuel engines on pallets.

All had rod failures with the center web blown out. His feeling was there was a design defect when Hercules copied the MAN design.

He referred to them as 'lightbulb engines, 'cause you never knew when it would burn out'.

DG
Yep I never worried about airing the block believe that is why God created the Cummins 6BT and Jeepsinker to show us how to fix the problem.

Dipstick

There's a lot of good information in this thread. I live in a mountainous area and so there are hills that my Brutus will not pull in 4th or 5th. I usually run my engine to 2,500 rpm before shifting into 4th or 5th, because my rpm will have dropped off too much before I can complete my upshift if I don't. There are some long steep grades that occur just after traffic lights around here. I know I can only pull them in 3rd, so I don't even bother trying for 4th or 5th. I get in the right lane and do 2,100 in 3rd all the way up the grade. Keep in mind my engine is bone stock. It has not been turned up or bypassed and seems to run fine. I run 11r-20s and at 2,500 rpm I seem to run about 52 mph. Maybe my aging eyes aren't reading the speedo correctly.

I previously mentioned uphill grades. Well, there's always a downside to uphill grades. Of course there are traffic lights or stop signs at the bottom of these downhills too. I write this as someone who has experienced a total and sudden loss of all braking while while stopping for a traffic light on a slight downhill. I blew my air horn and managed to downshift to 2nd gear and crawled my way for a quarter of a mile until I could safely pull over and used my newly rebuilt handbrake and a snowbank to stop my truck. I was lucky traffic was light due to an impending snow/ice storm. I mention this to illustrate that I understand the limitations of Deuce brakes and I drive with caution on all grades up or down. I always try to anticipate conditions and drive with the assumption that a traffic light will likely turn yellow or red on my way down a grade. I usually back off the throttle at the top and engine brake down. I never try to beat a light.

As I previously mentioned my Deuce runs 11r-20s. Their maximum rated road speed is 55 mph. I read in another thread, that there is a DOT rule that states " If the maximum speed rating of a trucks tires are limited to 55 mph, then the truck can be driven no faster than 55 mph". Makes sense to me. So taking into account Deuce power, weight, brakes, and suspension design, I drive my Deuce like what it really is.....a military vehicle that is one half farm tractor and one half truck.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Deuce is a nice ride, Go Slow.
You wannah go fast then get a commercial vehicle.
Even the Wifes' grocery getter will do 0-60 in sick seconds.
Even an old Volt is 0-60 in 7 seconds and does well over a hundred using battery.
Multi fuel trucks are a dying breed.
Keep destroying them and ours will then cost that much more. A lot more.

Last edited:

Dipstick

Deuce is a nice ride, Go Slow.
You wannah go fast then get a commercial vehicle.
Even the Wifes' grocery getter will do 0-60 in sick seconds.
Even an old Volt is 0-60 in 7 seconds and does well over a hundred using battery.
Multi fuel trucks are a dying breed.
Keep destroying them and ours will then cost that much more. A lot more.
Amen Frank! Parts for Deuces and 5 tons would be harder to find and much more expensive to buy. It's simply a matter of supply and demand. Long live the Multi-Fuel!!!

DavidWymore

DG
Please expound on the "center web"

Thanks!

V8srfun

These are the 2 most used performance dampers I know of. I wonder if they would make one to fit our trucks. they would probably want a cad drawing for actual size specs and I have no clue how to do that.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...Keep in mind my engine is bone stock. It has not been turned up or bypassed and seems to run fine. I run 11r-20s and at 2,500 rpm I seem to run about 52 mph. Maybe my aging eyes aren't reading the speedo correctly....

That should be about 57-58mph. Speedo is going to read about 10% to the low side at any given speed.

Dipstick

All had failures between cylinders 3 & 4. Blocks were wrecked.

Dennis
Sounds like a design weakness in the crank, block or main bearing caps at that point to me. The middle of the crankshaft is where you'd probably encounter the most crankshaft flex and strain.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with you. Weak rod bolts could definitely be the cause. Good thought!
The weak rod bolts (regular hex head) were in the past credited for many connecting rods escaping to the outside of the engine block. The recommendation from many threads on this forum has been to drop the oil pan and replace them with the stronger 12 point ones, available for Oliver/White 130/150 tractors, if the military had not done so in a previous rebuild.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks