• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed Deuce, the concept & performance

miltruckman

I am preparing to bobb my deuce.

But before I do, I thought it would be good to ask those that have done it and other owners how they like their trucks. And about it's performance.

How do they go down the road? A bumpier ride or a smoother ride?

Is turning radius affected?

What would be the load carrying capacity be? Assuming a set of front deuce springs are used.

Is off-road performance better or worse?

Without 10 tires and three axles on the road, gas mileage should be better. Anyone figure out what they are getting?

Road speed will also change depending what size tires are used. What would you get with 11.00-20's, 12.00-20"s, 14.00-20's?

What tire sizes can be used (how big can you go?)without rubbing in the front when the steering wheel is turned all the way to the side? (When the front suspension is not modified.)

how large a tire can you put on the original rims?

How is braking affected when an entire axle w/brakes is removed without cutting the trucks weight by 1/3?

What does a bobbed deuce weigh?? (I am planning to use a M105 bed) Maybe it does cut the weight by 1/3?

I would like to hear any and all concepts and experiences from you bobbed deuce owners out there.

Thanks,

Bill
Michigan

beaubeau

I have bobed 1 deuce for a customer. I think it went well. First of all, do you need 10tires and wheels for what U are going to do? Then you actually lighten the weight, shorten the wheel base for better turning radius, and yes it rides much better and more effecient. You can Single it or keep the Duals on back. The deuce is really Overated for most Civy activities anyway. Plus look at the Extra parts you have left!!??

snoplay

#1) bumpier offroad ride
2) turns better
3)could not over load mine
4)yes & no rear to light put 2 55gal barrels of fuel at rear of bed to help traction made a big difference (mine also has locker in rear) but moves very well in tight places
5)Got 11 mpg loaded and w/ 105 loaded
6)with 395-85-20 goodyear MVT 55mph at 2100rpm
7) same tire , stock rim , slight rub in a bind
8) stops great
9) #11,400lb tires are 360lb on rims ea
10) Love mine!!!

Attachments

SasquatchSanta

Though I don't build 'em I have to agree with Offroadworks.

I made a 60 mile round trip from Orr MN to Crane Lake today and it was a pure joy. I put the tach at 2K and listened to symphoiny coming from the fire deck. Every once in a while, on a grade, the turbo would decide to whistle for a while. With twin mufflers and no water pump fan the engine's sound is great.

There's nothing like a multi --- the original flex-fuel

Jakob

When the truck is bobbed, does the location of the front rear have to move? I'm thinking of bobbing my truck, but I want to keep it cheap and simple. I want to bob it so I can reuse the same driveshaft, brake lines and etc. I'll be cutting down the bed that's on it since the front of my bed is rotted out anyway. I can do all the labor in my driveway, in concept though, doing it this way all I should need is the springs and maybe some steel/hardware to mount the springs and attach the axle to them.

55Cameo

If you are not lifting the truck then you don't have to do anything to the front except wheel an tire if you are changing those. Just ust the hangers and springs from the front of another doner Deuce or a 105 trailer for the rear, cut out the rivets and put the new hangers on with bolts, do not try to weld them on. You will have to drill a lot of holes to mount them, but it's not to bad.

russ81

When I bobbed my truck I squared down off of the frame to the center of the front axle. Marked the frame, then cut everything loose. That way when I went back witht the axle I had a center line to go back to. After laying out, drilling, and mounting the spring hangers I installed the axle. The drive shaft mounted up perfectly.

Jakob

russ81 said:
When I bobbed my truck I squared down off of the frame to the center of the front axle. Marked the frame, then cut everything loose. That way when I went back witht the axle I had a center line to go back to. After laying out, drilling, and mounting the spring hangers I installed the axle. The drive shaft mounted up perfectly.
Perfect, that's exactly what I wanted to know, thanks.

russ81

Got the wheels from Boyce Equipment in Utah. They are 20" x 12" wide with 6" of backspacing. The Tires are 16x20's. got them off e-bay for $175 each, so I bought 5. Always need a spare! The things had never even been mounted before. Absolutely brand new. Of course they cost me $100 each for shipping, but what they hay.

randyscycle

russ81 said:
Got the wheels from Boyce Equipment in Utah. .
They look like Marsh wheels to me. Should have bought them directly from them. They are really great to work with and the markup would have been a little less severe.

They built my M715 wheels and had them here in 10 days.

russ81

Randy
your correct. They are Marsh. I didn't know any better when I ordered them. I was dealing with Boyce, and he said he could get me custom made wheels. Live and learn. Boyce was really cool to deal with though. So, I don't have any real complaints.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks