• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed engine swap and hydo powersteering

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
........ I did a mod to mydrag link to index it back a tooth that gringeltaube had figured out to give the steering the right geometry.....
I think you should explain to the rest of crew what simple mod was done to the pitman arm and why...... ;)

Here some pics.....

G.

Attachments

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
after you weld the drag link, i suggest you split a piece of chrome molly tubing and weld it over the link by welding the seams to the link, but do not weld the ends. keep in mind if you ever get a dot inspection, they might be quite upset about welded steering components. in many cases you can thread the link after you cut it and screw an adjusting sleeve on it. this would satisfy the dot and also be useful in fine tuning position.

tom

JasonS

I think that the best method (and what I plan to do) is use the cad file and CNC mill to drill out the holes of a new frame stiffener. Using the original steering box holes for aligniment, drill out the rest of the holes using the frame stiffener as the template. I'd probably free-hand the large sector shaft hole OR machine some spacers to mount the steering box inboard 1/4" and not have to cut the extremely large hole.
Got my frame stiffeners back from the machine shop today. Thanks again to Jon and Gerhard for their help.

Attachments

cuukvee85

Ok, Here is the latest. I got the res mounted and all the hoses figured out and ran. I decided to use 10w/40 engine oil for the fluid and got it going today. The steering is great pretty much one finger when stopped. Now just have to paint the new fenders, grill and put that stuff back on. The next investment will be the winch just have to go to Maine to pick it up. :jumpin:

Attachments

cuukvee85

OK, It has been awhile since i posted any pictures so here is where im at. I finished putting together the front of the truck and yes it is now w/w!!!! Removed the trailer bed again to needle scale all the rust and old paint off and repainted the chassis. Just have to finish some body work on the cab and paint it and the bed and she will be done for now!!!!

Attachments

cuukvee85

it's has been a while.

hey I haven't had much time lately to update the progress on truck. I ended up putting the bed back on before painting it. Ran out of time before winter came. Unfortunatly I'm going to have to sell the truck due to unforeseen reason if any one is interested please pm me

thanks Jon

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks