• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bolts all over my body...

redline300

So I am starting on the body work for my M1009 and am wanting to take the millio bolts off that are ALL OVER my body panels! Trying to figure out how to get the washer part of it off without taking the whole panel off so I can access the backside. Maybe I had been serching wrong but I wasn't able to find anyone discussing this. Also, would I have to weld the holes or could I fill them in with POR 15 and still be able to smooth it all out and paint over it?

***Remember I am female and this is my first project. I a learning a lot and fast! I love every minute of it and apprecite all the info I have found and the nice individuals who answer my questions...Thank you!

Attachments

Last edited:

onegmjack

I see the bolts you are talking about. Are they stove bolts? Or can you put a wrench or socket on them?Could you post a close up picture of the bolts?

redline300

So here are the bolts close up. A couple look like they have been cut off to the best of someone's ability. Also, on the tailgate there is a rubbery thing sticking out(photo (2))....Not sure what it was...and where do I find the missing peice in my grill?

Attachments

onegmjack

Can you unloosen the phillip head screws?Do you thinks if you remove the screws that the panels mite fall off?The screw at the top in the last picture,would need to be ground on off with a grinder, would have to be gentle not to grind away the metal of your panel.I agree if it was my truck I would want them gone. In the first picture,I think the space is where the 24 volt connector went to boost the truck,if the batteries are down.On the the Deuce it's a slave or NATO connector,can be used to boost,run 24 volt impact,drill,lights and other things.Back to the screws can you see them on the inside or do they go all the way threw?If you were closer I would help you remove them.You mite clamp vice gripes to the ones not ground down,pull out as you turn them.Good luck,let us know what happen.

cjcottrill

From here they appear to be sheet metal expansion anchors. I have been able to start a long bolt in the threads, hit the bolt head sharply with a hammer to expand the socket, then grind or saw the head off. Be careful, you will leave a pretty good dimple in the sheet metal. The nut insert then falls in the body panel to rattle and roll around for ever. Really hard to get the insert out. You can take a bodyshop sander and sand the flange off, but then again, the insert drops between the body panels. good luck.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remove the screws and drill the inserts out if they're metal. If the inserts are rubber, you might be able to cut the heads off with side cutters. You may have to hold them with VISE GRIPS while drilling. Pretty simple. The best way to fill in the holes, if you seek perfection, is to weld, then finish the metal smooth.

Upon closer inspection of the photos, they look like metal inserts. If you grind them, you risk gouging the sheet metal around them. I recommend drilling.
The button fastener in pic 5 is probably just screwed in. Use pliers or VISE GRIPS to remove it.

Last edited:

466Navastar

theyre call riv-nuts and can be seen at this site ----http://www.enfasco.com/frame4.htm

the drilling - or gingerly grinding is what a body shop would do

being a beginner - Im thinking you might want to have a pro weld those holes-----no sense making golf ball sized holes with a welder -if you dont know what youre doing yet....or practice on some scrap metal

redline300

The screws I can loosen but not pull out all the way. The washers that aren't painted down also move but don't come completely off. They do not go all the way through.

epitts

being a beginner - Im thinking you might want to have a pro weld those holes-----no sense making golf ball sized holes with a welder -if you dont know what youre doing yet....or practice on some scrap metal
This is good info, having just tried to weld some holes myself. I made a bigger problem that my friend had to fix. :oops:

jamesfrom180

Small fender washers or punch outs from electrical boxes are my go to for filling holes in firewalls. I am not sure those are riv-nuts but if they are they will be identical to the antenna mount hardware.

I keep a small piece of flat stock around that I tack the punch out to and set in the hole then I lightly weld three spots to secure and break the bar off. This when done with care makes it line up really well. Then I either run a bead or stitch weld to control heat and grind flat. requires alot less filler to smooth out. On a flat finish like that I wouldn't even need to fill after welding and sanding flat. Learned this using flux core arch welding. Much easier if you have better tools but can be done with a $100 welder or $50 torch.

Ripcord01

looks like Frankenstein there sitting on your driveway! Are the screws and bolts on both side of Franky? You might try LMC truck parts for a grill. Good luck and Welcome to SS!