• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Boost issues?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should not be exceeding 15 lbs of boost. More will definitely over temp.

Also, once you think you have it set where you like it, if you load the truck or drive up a big long hill, it will be too high in that case.

The fuel rate is load dependent and will vary.

10-12 psi is pretty safe.

Who wants to let off the throttle when trying to climb a hill?

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go up a hill.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where is your pyrometer tip?

Streetgliderx

Mine is located in the rear bank pre-turbo. This is a brand new gauge from Hewitt. I wasn't expecting it to miss the pressure by much. I live in some hilly country and so far I can just relax the throttle and keep it around 1000-1100. It will however hit 1200 quick in a hard acceleration. I'm probably gonna drop a flat or three but for now it's fun to watch

brianp454

I think Lt Dan and I have similar results. It looks like maybe your IP was tweaked up a bit prior to bypassing the FDC so it naturally may have responded a bit more with excess fuel. Can you make a video of you driving that shows the exhaust?

The general rule with bypassing the FDC says you can turn the fuel up a bit and the droop screw down. I've only bypassed the FDC and did not mess with the fuel and it seems like I may be able to over-fuel\get black smoke if I jam the 'throttle' hard at lower RPM's. AT higher RPM's I think it can take more fuel as it rarely gets over 14 psi and 1150 deg. F. I have a K thermocouple pre-turbo and I tried different thermocouples and even calibrated gages and got the same results. I have a youtube video showing the smoke after bypassing the FDC.

I'll have to tell you in a day or so when my new tach cable gets here. Mine broke last week.

Streetgliderx

Yeah mines a Hewitt K thermo pre turbo. I can hit 1200* any time I wish right now. It comes on quick. I may also buy a 15lb gauge cause I'd like to see the full range used. I will get the wife to chase me around and make a video soon

Streetgliderx

At the moment no I do not. I do know that before the cable broke my truck would turn a consistent 2700 no load. I could easily hit 2600 driving and hold it. To my knowledge the FDC bypass won't change the governor settings? But when my new cable arrives this week I'll be sure to get new video

Ryan123

Ive been thinking about swapping in a detroit for a long time now. However I just said WHAT THE HECK ill just see how much this little baby can put out. so yesterday I went and got a boost gauge, already had a good digital pyro. I CRANKED the fuel up like 7 flats of the nut. she ran very well but still had some wiggle room. So I cranked it another 4-5 flats and now i get 20 psi of boost at 1150 EGT smack dab behind the turbo_Oh and I had already cranked the fuel up a bit before that. Anyone every put a big turbo on a deuce? like a detroit diesel turbo much like the one pictured?This turbo is AT LEAST twice as big as the deuce hair dryer. Im thinking of doing that with an Air to water cooler setup from here http://www.frozenboost.com/product_...=1007&osCsid=cf57e9e804308d03b551f49a0696078f. should be able to do a cable on the FDC to control boost and egt's with an aftercooler it should keep the egts down and be able to produce around 30 psi pretty easy. much more than that I think I might blow the head off the poor girl.

20140308_153912 (2).jpg20140308_153759.jpg20140308_154033.jpg

Streetgliderx

I got 4 turbos of various sizes sittin round. I'd be interested to see how a bigger turbo plays out. I also wonder how well a good ole C turbo can preform if it was intercooled? If I knew I could just intercool mine and turn it up a little more I'd be one coal Rollin SOB. cause I got some intercoolers and I can fab!!!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not good on the ciphering but there has to be a limit on how much you realy can blow through a Deuce. Just because it's bigger don't mean it all can be used but see is believing I guess. Someone said the Deuce turbo's don't make much boost but it shure sounds like they do.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's not forget about the coolant controlled intake manifold.

All this has been covered in the past(many times). A bit of research may save you a bunch of time and money and effort.

I have to ask, what is the goal?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[QUOTE=doghead
I have to ask, what is the goal?

To tweek or not to tweek that is the question. I think there for I thunk.

Idk about a intercooler. There really is no room to put it unless your redoing the whole front end which to me is to much work. My truck right now runs freakin awesome. It will pull out faster then traffic from light to light. The highway is the problem. I drove to work this morning and 60 was it at about 2500 or so. I kept it at 55. Once I get my bigger tires I'll be golden.

I turned the fuel up about 6 flats last night. It smokes a little not like a diesel pickup with a chip. I can definitely flirt with 1200 now but only on a long hard hill. I think I can go up a bit more yet but I'm pretty happy with it no. It performs well and smokes enough to make me happy and the squiters not so happy lol.

I can't wait to lose 3000 lbs and bigger tires.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks