• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Boredom project, LB7 dirtymax turbo on a 6.2

Superhondaz50

Hey all, figured I'd post up my boredom project. The goal was to use cheap parts, and do zero permanent mods to the M1038. Just upfront, I have HF welder and can't weld the thin stuff well so no hating on the welds, everything else is fair game. Got a LB7 dirtymax turbo, a box of pipe and some Chinese add ons. Built a pedestal to mount it, here some pics from day 1. Made a down pipe, and the two up pipes. Waiting on some V bands and a few other things. Will add more posts and pics as I go along.

Attachments

Last edited:

Superhondaz50

Here's all my gauges,the Motorola is an old NIB military 24v alt tach, anyone know what it was originally intended for? Realistically I won't use the tach, not sure if it even works . Also got my 24-12 stepdown box.

Attachments

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your made in China welder means you risk spreading Carvid-19 to your local truck population. Make sure you use an air filter and park 6 feet away from other vehicles.

Awol

I love it!

I'm all about hot rodding anything and everything. Make do with what ya got, and let it rip!

Superhondaz50

Installed my plenum today. This one is from KB diesel, cost is about the same as a used 6.5l intake, but makes installation super easy. Plus I get more freedom in positioning my intake tubes. Ran the air intake to the turbo. Had to order a few more silicone fittings though to finish this up.

Attachments

MattNC

This is pretty cool and I love the experimenting. My main reaction was to where the turbo sits. I'd either build a big custom doghouse with tons of insulating mat on it, or put a cast iron top on it and make hibachi shrimp because there's some serious heat right there!

Superhondaz50

This is pretty cool and I love the experimenting. My main reaction was to where the turbo sits. I'd either build a big custom doghouse with tons of insulating mat on it, or put a cast iron top on it and make hibachi shrimp because there's some serious heat right there!
Haha yup, I'm gonna build a custom doghouse, gonna be double lined, kinda like a insulated cup, with heat proof glass sandwiched in between, also gonna have some shields around the piping. And glass sleeve on nearby cables. It's definitely gonna be hot, but the .gov turbos sit in the same spot, just more ergonomic in design.

Superhondaz50

It did a little tody, super hot and windy. Got the oil pan drained, need to remove it to add a 10an bung for the oil return. The LB7 turbo is water cooled, so I got those pipes and clamped today. Top pic is where I'm pulling water from, then I'm returning it the the radiator/catch can line. Hopefully got the flow right.

Attachments

Superhondaz50

Few more things done this evening. Finished the air intake plumbing. Got the oil feed together, might replace it, it's cheesy Chinese, not sure if I like it. Lastly I got the downpipe tapped for the EGT gauge, and the probe installed.

Attachments

Superhondaz50

Started running the intercooler piping this evening. Trying to do minimal mods to the inner fenders, so I routed the piping to the outside, then will go in through a 2.75" hole I'll out in the inner fenders to get to the intercooler. Also tapped the intercooler pipe right before the plenum and installed the fitting for the boost gauge.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks