• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought an M35A2, with a unique addition

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Palfinger PK5800 came on the cargo variant of the STEYR-based Heavy Logistics Vehicle, Wheeled (HLVW) of the Canadian Forces and these were assembled in Canada. Wajax (company famous for wildland fire pumps) also assembled the Palfinger cranes. I am not sure whether the PK5800 was used on any US military vehicles (probably was).

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No...but a pic of that data plate might....does it say M35 or M36? The frame has the number stamped into it near the driver side front spring hanger. Does it match the number on the data plate in the cab? If not, the whole cab might have been swapped...
Also, was the frame cut and lengthened? There would be plating inside and outside on both sides for this.

Danspomer

No...but a pic of that data plate might....does it say M35 or M36? The frame has the number stamped into it near the driver side front spring hanger. Does it match the number on the data plate in the cab? If not, the whole cab might have been swapped...
Also, was the frame cut and lengthened? There would be plating inside and outside on both sides for this.
I will check all of that out this coming weekend. Thanks, everybody, for your most welcome help! 👍

Danspomer

Wow! You even have the wooden pad to go under the outriggers to spread the weight if you are on soft ground or asphalt! (The pad with the white handle, Lower right). You should have a pair of those.

Don't know for sure what shape it is in, but it appears that you have all the parts.
That’s actually a wheel chock. But I’m sure there is “other stuff” in there.

Danspomer

Can I post short videos on this forum? I have a walk around video that might be very informative.
The video I have (one minute long walk around) shows no modifications to the frame. Straight and clean all the way back. Only four holes drilled to accommodate the crane mount.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The video I have (one minute long walk around) shows no modifications to the frame. Straight and clean all the way back. Only four holes drilled to accommodate the crane mount.
Maybe eventually... What we do now is post the video to YouTube, then create a link here.

General rule is to NOT post links - posting the image. Videos though are a "special" case for the time being.

Having a video to look at would definitely be a plus!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It’s a wonky video. He went from vertical to landscape mode with the camera, so you’ll have to adjust accordingly. But it shows everything.

I felt like if somebody had been watching me watch that video - they would have thought I was a dog - with my head cocked off to the left :)
No worries though. Saw that you have locking hubs on the front of your truck. As I understand it, those are mileage savers and will help on "wear and tear" on your front axle.

I saw the spot earlier: Rusty spot and 4 holes in the frame. I think I saw some mention that those are the mounting holes for the crane.

I have a few books for Hiab cranes. I have nothing for the Palfinger. I did rummage around on the Web, but so far I haven't found PDFs. It may be that if you talk nice and mention your concern for Safety - they might help you find a PDF. The right way to mount it could be important as well as a load chart so you don't overload the crane. Phone call is going to be better. Most often, I get ignored with an email asking for technical for an elderly crane...

On the picture, the 4 bolts have "hooks" that might fit the 4 holes in your frame. My concern is that most "kunckle boom" cranes have a piece that sits on top of the frame. The outriggers generally slide in under the frame, then a set of long bolts connect the two pieces together. I could be completely wrong, but I just don't think that the "J-Bolts" (in the picture of the crane in the bed) are the factory bolts. I could be wrong. If all four are perfectly formed, I would be really wrong (and that will be okay!).

Finding the Installation Guide or some sort of technical manual could be a real benefit.

Danspomer

I felt like if somebody had been watching me watch that video - they would have thought I was a dog - with my head cocked off to the left :)
No worries though. Saw that you have locking hubs on the front of your truck. As I understand it, those are mileage savers and will help on "wear and tear" on your front axle.

I saw the spot earlier: Rusty spot and 4 holes in the frame. I think I saw some mention that those are the mounting holes for the crane.

I have a few books for Hiab cranes. I have nothing for the Palfinger. I did rummage around on the Web, but so far I haven't found PDFs. It may be that if you talk nice and mention your concern for Safety - they might help you find a PDF. The right way to mount it could be important as well as a load chart so you don't overload the crane. Phone call is going to be better. Most often, I get ignored with an email asking for technical for an elderly crane...

On the picture, the 4 bolts have "hooks" that might fit the 4 holes in your frame. My concern is that most "kunckle boom" cranes have a piece that sits on top of the frame. The outriggers generally slide in under the frame, then a set of long bolts connect the two pieces together. I could be completely wrong, but I just don't think that the "J-Bolts" (in the picture of the crane in the bed) are the factory bolts. I could be wrong. If all four are perfectly formed, I would be really wrong (and that will be okay!).

Finding the Installation Guide or some sort of technical manual could be a real benefit.
this is good stuff, and I thank you so much.

This is all I have.

Attachments

Danspomer

So, yes, it’s a five ton bed. I’m also convinced it’s an M36. With the crane and all, I’m trying to put my mind into the place this previous owner had.

A deuce is big enough by any standard. But the cost and effort to throw a 5 ton bed on deuce, with a crane? WTF?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks