• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought two M37's today

gonorth

Attended a local auction today. I have been trying to get this guy to sell me one of his three M37's for over 20 years. He always said I would have to wait for his auction after he dies. Well he didn't die but he had his auction and I bought two of the three.

Neither has been run for probably 20 years but I know they ran ok the last time they were used. I am hopeful that after putting in new fuel and some batteries that they will start.

The nicer one was made in March of 1954 but the title says it is a '53. Is that possible or should I try to get the title corrected?

Attachments

wikallen

Wow, those look nice.

I saw a M37 sitting next to a garage on CR19 just north of SR30 west of Stewartville. If you are out for a drive sometime, just head out 52, and just as you get passed 90, Look for CR19 to head south. Take that towards 30. The place is on the west side of the road, maybe a mile north of 30.

Armada

Neither has been run for probably 20 years but I know they ran ok the last time they were used. I am hopeful that after putting in new fuel and some batteries that they will start.
Nice trucks! If they've really sat for 20 years I would put some oil in the cylinders and let them soak for a few days first before trying to crank. Even if the motor turns by hand there might be some rings stuck to the piston.

Mike_L

Nice score.

I'd get the titles fixed. My 1954 (March delivery) also came from MN (Waseca). The title had the hood/tailgate number on it for the VIN. I got that fixed when I moved into Indiana and retitled it.

Hope to see more photos.

gonorth

Yes, they have been indoors for more than 20 years, a cement floor and good dry building. Thanks for the tip on squirting some oil in the cylinders. They had a mechanic on site for several days trying to get stuff running (lots of old trucks but mostly not military) and he got some running. Others they had marked as to if the engines were froze or loose. These were marked loose so I know they will turn. Not sure if they cranked it with battery but if they did it was probably 12V, these are still 24V. They may have just turned these by hand.

Wilkallen, I might just take a ride today, after all it would be a 'sunday drive'.

The recovery went well. My trailer does not have a winch but there was a local wrecker on site. He backed his boom over the front of my trailer and winched them up for $20 each. Money well spent. We put them on backwards because they balanced nice that way and made unloading a lot easier. The nice one I got has a brake stuck or something. We had a hard time getting it off the trailer, even with the trailer on a slight hill. My 4 wheeler winch won't pull it on level ground, even with blocks on the atv wheels it just pulled the atv to the truck.

I even hauled the third truck home for the competing bidder. He was nice enough to quit early on the first choice for me so I did the same for him on the next choice. (turns out we both wanted the same one first) The last one I got went cheap. It is in decent shape but I think the paint and the top not being on turned people off. The soft top is inside of it, not sure if it is any good.

More pics later today.

I need a gas can holder for the nice one, any suggestions on where I can get one?

Attachments

Last edited:

Eric's hifim37

Awesome, it is amazing what is sitting in old barns,buildings & garages just waiting to be brought out !

It is a good thing they were stored inside back there they would have been rusty junk, out here they get fried :-/

More pictures please !

Eric..

dozer1

I was actually at that auction in the morning and looked over all that stuff. Heard about it on the radio and they said MV's so I had to investigate. I didnt stick around for the auction cuz my wife had a busy afternoon planned for me. Congradulations on the purchases. I am curious as to what all those MV's went for if I could be so bold as to ask. esp the 2 old deuces.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great find, I always seem to miss the local auctions, I know what you mean about the wait, the owner of this M37 died several years ago now the wife won't sell until after her death( and the M37 slowly melts into the ground).
James

Attachments

poppop

Speaking of whats in barns have you seen this. It is a couple years old and I will try to post it but am not good at computer stuff If nothing shows up well I tried.

OK so I can't do it. This is the story Old guy in Portucal dies and his estate is being sold. An American is retiring and buys this property for half the value. On the property is a huge barn with the steel doors welded shut. A few months after they move in they decide to cut into the barn to see whats in it. It is filled with antique vechiles, several hundred in all. The pictures are at www.intuh.net/barnfinds/afa70.htm.

OK I think the link works. Would you crap you pants or what when you opened that door.

Last edited:

gonorth

This is the third M37 sold at that auction. A heck of a nice local guy got it too. Retired Navy. His first military vehicle. This is in just a little worse shape than my better one. Tires had chord showing, no spare, and top included but folded up inside. I like the color of this one better tho. Radiator had an obvious leak.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks