• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bouncing deuce

L7apk

Can anyone lay any light on this, getting up to 40-50mph in some situations the truck starts to judder/bounce. you have to ease off and then feed the power back in and its ok till the next time. I don't think its the wheels out of balance as i've swopped them around.
It bounces you up and down in the seat, most annoying. Any suggestions would be welcome, someone suggested putting a winch on the front? :?
anyone else have this problem. A friend of mine had a shop van reo, this also suffered from it, but now its sold.

Boatcarpenter

Could it have anything to do with cold tires with slight flat spots on them? Does the bouncing go away after they get warmed up? Just a thought as that happens to me under certain conditions.
BC
( I know, busy again steelandcanvas :D )

bottleworks

Re: RE: bouncing deuce

May or may not be your issue, but an easy check...

Bottleworks said:
You may have an issue with the rear axles fighting each other. If the circumference of the tires between the rear most axle and the middle axle, the axles will try to spin at slightly different rates. Because they are ridgedly connected, (with a drive shaft), they are forced to spin at the same speed. This then makes the wheels will hop.

You can remove the drive shaft between the two axles to confirm/deny this issue...

L7apk

bottleworks said:

Bottleworks said:
You may have an issue with the rear axles fighting each other. If the circumference of the tires between the rear most axle and the middle axle, the axles will try to spin at slightly different rates. Because they are ridgedly connected, (with a drive shaft), they are forced to spin at the same speed. This then makes the wheels will hop.

You can remove the drive shaft between the two axles to confirm/deny this issue...
Yeh , it does feel like that, although the tyres do have similar wear on them . I will remove the prop shaft and see if it makes a differance, thanks

L7apk

Boatcarpenter said:
Could it have anything to do with cold tires with slight flat spots on them? Does the bouncing go away after they get warmed up? Just a thought as that happens to me under certain conditions.
BC
( I know, busy again steelandcanvas :D )
No, it does it all the time, even after a long trip when the tyres are smokin :driver:

DanMartin

RE: Re: RE: bouncing deuce

Just pull the rear driveshaft between the two rear axles. If that's your problem, you can either measure the height of all of your rear tires and try to better match them to different sides of each axle (there is a thread on this somewhere here), or get a rear lockout for one of the axles (again, yet another thread).

You might also make sure you're pressures are correct, and look for blisters on the tires that may indicate a problem that could lead to a blowout (this is bad).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Heard of an issue like that once and an extra flap was found rolled up inside the mounted tire.

FreightTrain

Banned

Check your inner tires.Might have one flat.I can vouch for that.sitting there they all LOOK aired up but get a tire thumper at a truck stop or a miniature baseball bat(I used the smallest child size aluminum bat from wally world a few years ago.).

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter

If the two rear axles start "bucking" each other, you'll get that harmonic bouncing. It's almost perpetual. That's why letting off of the throttle and than rolling it back on cures it for a little while.

If you find a way to unlock the rear axles that works best for you, it should disappear. I chose to install a single lock-out hub on the forward rear dual (driver's side), to cure my wind-up. It inproves several issues on the truck.

There are many threads on unlocking hubs and axles here!

CliffW

bottleworks said:

Bottleworks said:

Make sure all the rear tire are at the same pressure in them.

beaubeau

Most any truck with Twin axles will give U the Hopping at certain speeds. Especially the Walking Beams like Deuces and Others. I have felt in even with Single spring Rayco Susp., and even with air susp. I thought it was great when I had a girl rideing with me and the rig started to hop!I would hold it at that speed for a while longer.

jeli

Re: RE: Re: RE: bouncing deuce

FreightTrain said:
Check your inner tires.Might have one flat.I can vouch for that.sitting there they all LOOK aired up but get a tire thumper at a truck stop or a miniature baseball bat(I used the smallest child size aluminum bat from wally world a few years ago.).
Wally World for us Yanks...Tesco for you.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: bouncing deuce

beaubeau said:
I thought it was great when I had a girl rideing with me and the rig started to hop!I would hold it at that speed for a while longer.
[thumbzup]

cranetruck,

You might be right! (You most often are.) :wink:

L7apk

Ok, thanks for all your replys. I've checked all the tyres and pressures and they all match perfect. I've measured the tyre heights and there all within 1/8". So then i test drove it with no change, it still bucked. So then I removed the rear propshaft and test drove it. It drove a lot better with no bucking. So what due reckon is causing it.
I'll try the front alignment as suggested by cranetruck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tire height and tire circumference is a huge difference. An inch of tire height difference makes for a lot of cicumference difference. My suggestion is go to the top of the deuce forum and click on the deuce tips and tricks sticky. The 4th entry deals with tire matching. This is essential for long tire life. Just do it with equal tire pressures.

Jimma

I just drove mine home from Ft. Jackson and it bounced the entire 160 mile trip if I went over 45. I had to hold it at 45 the entire trip. I have to start the process of trouble shooting this issue.

Capt.Marion

Am I blind/going crazy/all of the above or are all the stickies at the top of the Deuce forum gone? It probably happened with the switch to the new site I and I just never noticed...