• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BRDM-2 street legal.

kcimb

A couple big mirrors, and closed-circuit video of blind spots would do.

Changing out the Russki motor & trans would give you a reliable ride.

Just leave it alone till registered historic, if you can.

I know there is other armor in Cal, road licensed. Ferrets, saracens, V-100, eTc.
The original Engine and trans is perfectly reliable. They run fantastic, just need to learn to double clutch as the trans isn't syncho'd in the first2 gears

Hummer Guy

How can I make the BRDM-2 that I’m planning on buying street legal, the vehicle is in good condition from pictures that I‘ve seen, and its being imported from the Czech Republic, could it be made street legal in the state of California?

-I want to use it to replace my car.
-Everyday use.
-Street legal
those are my goals, does anyone have any sort of advice to get it street legal, since I contacted the DMV, and they said “A tank cannot be registered” according to the DMV they call it a tank and said it couldn’t be registered as road legal in california, does anyone have any ideas on how to make it street legal?
You can get it registered in Vermont and have the registration/plate transferred over to your state. Using it as a daily is going to be a whole different thing though, it can be done but its going to take a lot of work. I'm currently in the process of trying to make mines a somewhat decently comfortable vehicle to drive. Upgrades I done: LED lights (fully on the inside/out), electric A/C unit, changed the seat pads so I can sit lower and look out the windshield instead of the periscope, 4 way camera system (A life saver), currently changing the radiator for an aluminum humvee radiator if I can't get it to fit (Im going with a chevy aluminum radiator), electric fuel pump (The mechanical ones done almost pooped itself out), and newer styled air filter.

Future upgrades I want to do is 20inch rims with the same bolt pattern so I can fit modern day tires, the old russian tires are really not that good and develop flat spots very fast, not to mention, they can be a pita to get, next upgrade I want is a engine or electric driven power steering pump. The pump is currently on the transmission which means you lose power steering once you go in neutral or press in the clutch. Last upgrade for more comfort is a better transmission, I'm not the biggest fan of 2nd being unsynchronized, bad thing is you can't even float it because 1st, 2nd, and reverse requires you to be on the clutch because of its interlocking mechanism.

A honorable mention for a dream upgrade is to have the belly wheels removed and a side door cut in

Once I actually finish everything with it, I will be driving it quite a bit, Im not too worried about MPG because I drive like a grandma in MVs besides the humvee

Attachments

teletech

You can get it registered in Vermont and have the registration/plate transferred over to your state. Using it as a daily is going to be a whole different thing though, it can be done but its going to take a lot of work. I'm currently in the process of trying to make mines a somewhat decently comfortable vehicle to drive. Upgrades I done: LED lights (fully on the inside/out), electric A/C unit, changed the seat pads so I can sit lower and look out the windshield instead of the periscope, 4 way camera system (A life saver), currently changing the radiator for an aluminum humvee radiator if I can't get it to fit (Im going with a chevy aluminum radiator), electric fuel pump (The mechanical ones done almost pooped itself out), and newer styled air filter.

Future upgrades I want to do is 20inch rims with the same bolt pattern so I can fit modern day tires, the old russian tires are really not that good and develop flat spots very fast, not to mention, they can be a pita to get, next upgrade I want is a engine or electric driven power steering pump. The pump is currently on the transmission which means you lose power steering once you go in neutral or press in the clutch. Last upgrade for more comfort is a better transmission, I'm not the biggest fan of 2nd being unsynchronized, bad thing is you can't even float it because 1st, 2nd, and reverse requires you to be on the clutch because of its interlocking mechanism.

A honorable mention for a dream upgrade is to have the belly wheels removed and a side door cut in

Once I actually finish everything with it, I will be driving it quite a bit, Im not too worried about MPG because I drive like a grandma in MVs besides the humvee
So, what I hear you saying is you really wish your BRDM was a PSZH-IV!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks