• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Breakdown Beacon on Site Needed

M813A1

That looks Great !!! Good Work Mangus580 !!! That looks to be the best thing to do !! I like it !! I think it will be a Biig Help for everyone !!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I can see the benefit to SS...and to make it better, I would ask anyone that has a breakdown to think through their request for help.
This is a daily issue in my business....especially with the 911 calls. You must be as specific as possible...exactly what do you need help with?

There are about 20 questions that need answering when dealing with trucks...all important.

Should we develope a format? A "Call for Fire" type operation? I vote yes.

mangus580

I can see the benefit to SS...and to make it better, I would ask anyone that has a breakdown to think through their request for help.
This is a daily issue in my business....especially with the 911 calls. You must be as specific as possible...exactly what do you need help with?

There are about 20 questions that need answering when dealing with trucks...all important.

Should we develope a format? A "Call for Fire" type operation? I vote yes.
PB a template might not be a bad idea...

Got some suggestions? I know on another forum I am on, they have a list you have to answer when you are having starting/running troubles...

Granted, it seems for this, its not usually the person with the problem making the post....

gunboy1656

Only one hurdle I see with this setup, I don't normally carry my laptop with me when i run out, and have very few phone numbers to call someone to get the notification started.

I really do like the thought of having this just in case.

GoHot229

This light thing, need not be to grand, but mabe a bright outline around the members avitar who's state coresponds with that state where the broke-down member is, then up in the left by (notices) a font to click on that would take you to the outstanding post for help. Also if your not logged in, it would not be vissable, it would not appear for guests.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the blue flashing lights, gets your attention quick. I also like the template idea, may weed out the guy who can't get the truck in his driveway started, and, there needs to be rules about folks posting " i'm in Hawaii but if I was there in New York i'd help".
Overall it's a great idea.

dittle

Template Idea with the KISS method in mind. You could add a ton to it but at some point you get info that is worthless.

Name and/or SS member name:
Phone Number:
Vehicle Type:
Type of help requested:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
great idea, just to bad we did not do this sooner, and PB is right , there are questions to be answered so the right recovery help can be had.

another idea, dont know if this is even possible, because we don't carry our computers with us, is there some way that we could have a auto call by area code or something like that, for example , I'm in the 770/678 area codes, i would be called if someone needed help in those areas, i could say if i can respond or not (push 1/yes-2/no) and remember not all respondes need a MV, example -a flat tire and the jack just puked its guts. To make this work, we all could put our numbers in a SS phone data base and the area codes we could respond to, then when a call for help comes in, the area code where the help is needed is entered and the calls are made..

maybe im thinking to much this early in the morning, this is what THREE cups of coffee and a lot of time on your hands will do

littlebob

Great Idea and all good other ideas. I think Mangus has it right by asking beforehand, so we can all give input and offer suggestions and potential flaws.
Although I don't want put my cell number out there on the net, I have met other members that have it that could contact me if there was someone near that need help
if I had a lot of details.
I think if we all take the time to meet our neighbors, someone might be on line that they contact by phone.

I like the idea of a template something to fill in so the appropriate questions can get answered.

Also, if possible make it something to subscribe to like a thread that generates an email ... usually when I am on I have email running to check my in box every ten minutes.
Maybe a way to send a text message to phones or email .. again random thought for discussion

Here are some random thoughts of things that might go on a template.
Location / including closest major intersection.
Nature of the emergency.
Nature of help needed, parts, tow, storage.
Maybe priority .. high, med, low
Type of vehicle.
Name of member / real and screen.
Method of contact for further info

Rick

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I don't normally carry my computer with me I do have a list of several SS members phone numbers in my wallet. I figure I could get ahold of atleast one of them and they would access to the internet.

I'm all for this but we need to make sure it doesn't get abused. If the alert starts getting a bunch of non emergency threads posting in it and the light is going off all the time people will just start ignoring it. Kind of like the boy that cried wolf. There doesn't need to be a bunch of causual comments about the problem posted in the alert either.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I don't normally carry my computer with me I do have a list of several SS members phone numbers in my wallet. I figure I could get ahold of atleast one of them and they would access to the internet.

I'm all for this but we need to make sure it doesn't get abused. If the alert starts getting a bunch of non emergency threads posting in it and the light is going off all the time people will just start ignoring it. Kind of like the boy that cried wolf. There doesn't need to be a bunch of causual comments about the problem posted in the alert either.
That's a major concern Ty. We are trying to come up with a viable method of it's use with safeguards against it's misuse. This will certainly get implemented before too long.

GoHot229

Well it seems that if someone is broke down and a member here and aware of the breakdown system here, it might be noted that it will take some time, mabe a fiew minuates, mabe an hour or more to get the help needed. But that help will likely come or a message that none could be found. Were all going to have to be pro-active to make this work, or at least those participating in the project, of whom I imagine there will be an ample number.
There are 465 pages of members here on Steel Soldiers with most pages containing around 25 members. That still amounts to a couple thousand active..ish members here. I'm all for it, and will vollenteer my time and contacting of rescuers coresponding with rescuees, whatever pro-active thing needed.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks