• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bringing a XM211 back to life

crewchief

For those who havent looked in my other post about me needing a starter i thought id post this pic up and more to come when i get back out there. We got this given to us so we can plow snow. Its a super great old truck and was all complete minus the starter. I pulled the carb off to rebuild and am going to have to run a temperary tank and fuel pump until i can get this to my shop to get the tank cleaned and sealed. I have a question about the 24 volt system. This older guy who gave me the starter said that only the starter is 24 volt and the rest is 12. Is that right? Right now the truck only has one 12 volt battery in it but the other cables and tray are still there for the other battery. Thanks and enjoy the pic. The truck has had a long rest and now its time to get back to work.

Attachments

crewchief

Thats what i thought! I guess when you get to 85 years old you can forget some things. But he was just telling me his Battle of the Bulge stories and how he ran a 50 cal on top of a tank after the first days were done. He was in the 509th airborn and he parachuted in behind lines and when they had lost alot of men he was told to man the 50 cal. Its great hearing all these stories.

APM215

I love to listen to storeys like that, I can only imagine how it would have been to be there.
It's ok If he cant remember the voltage of a truck built 50 years ago.
I would take him for a coffey and just listen to his storeys all day.

I can't wait to see more pictures of the truck.

KaiserM109

... This older guy who gave me the starter said that only the starter is 24 volt and the rest is 12. Is that right? Right now the truck only has one 12 volt battery in it but the other cables and tray are still there for the other battery.
That could be right. It is possible that some time in the last few decades someone DID convert a lot of it to 12 volts. I looked at doing that and would have except the starter was the big problem.

There is even a wild possibility that they cranked the old beast with 12 volts. If the battery was a big one with a lot of cranking amps it would probably spin the engine a little and if it was in good shape that might be all it would need to start. There is no telling how stuff was "farmered", as my son likes to describe some of the things my dad did with bailing wire.

Good luck. I'm eyeballing an M211 and an M215 sitting in a field North of here.

poppop

I drove my truck to Taccoa Ga. for the dedication of a Musuem for the para-troops that trained there. We displayed at an air field close to there the next day. The Motel we stayed in was full of old Para-troops and Citizens of the Country's they landed in. The stories we heard at Breakfast were priceless. I finally said something to an old guy about being a Hero, He said I am no hero, these guys landed in my backyard and liberated me. That one over there asked me for an apple and I said help yourself. He said they had secret radios and knew the Amercians were comming but did not know where they were. Streams of Germans were passing their house and he asked one if they had seen the Amercians. His reply was we have seen no Amercians, only fire and steel. That was my first face to face meet with some SS members. Great as that was I will never forget sitting next to and talking to these old guys that were prepared to give their all to keep us free. God Bless all our service Men and Women, past and present.

butch atkins

i have the NOS ,NIB fuel pump rebuild kits for the factory in tank fuel pump ,new fuel pumps are 125.00 + if you can find one ,genuine original Carter rebuild kit is 30.00 total cost to your door ,PM if interested,good luck on your project,keep posting and dont be afraid to ask for help or advice about your truck restoration,all SS members will be glad to help , Butch

crewchief

Great info guys. And butch i will let ya know when i get it in the shop and will be contacting you about a fuel pump kit. Im going to be heading up this week sometime do some more work on it.

butch atkins

cleaning,sealing gas tank

hey have you got anidea on how to seal your tank after cleaning it,?i had mine vatted in 700 degree acid bath to kill the rust,and clean 55 +yrs of gunk,the vatting process melted the solder at the fuel neck,had some guy try to solder it ,job looks f@#$%*.,what is your idea on sealing tank ,let me know if you can ,thanks,good luck on your project, Butch

offroaddiesel

thanks crew chief, at present she is getting cleaned up and sometimes soon she will be painted od , once i sought out the others 211 . my wife is making a new top and new seats.iam in hope to be ready to paint in a few weeks , thats how i willspend my vacation, offroaddiesel

rainbow

What all is ilncluded in the gmc fuel pump repair kit . I cannot find the rubber plug that goes in the bottom that goes over the pertrusion in the bottom of tank. would be interested if enough parts are in rebuild kit my email is gerork@msn.com

crewchief

hey have you got anidea on how to seal your tank after cleaning it,?i had mine vatted in 700 degree acid bath to kill the rust,and clean 55 +yrs of gunk,the vatting process melted the solder at the fuel neck,had some guy try to solder it ,job looks f@#$%*.,what is your idea on sealing tank ,let me know if you can ,thanks,good luck on your project, Butch
We usually pressure wash the tanks out good then take a blow gun and stick it in there for about an hour to get rid of the fumes (trick i learned from guys who take out underground tanks before they cut in to them). Then i cut the tank open and we sand blast it clean. Then reweld the piece back in there.There is a chem that you put inside your tank to coat it and seal it. I cant remember the name off the top of my head but it works great and leaves the tank with a white rubber coating on the inside

Parker2

Some radiator shops can clean out the tank and recoat them with some kind of liner. No cutting or welding.:-D
I had this done on my forklift with a very rusty fuel tank.

butch atkins

fuel pump repair kits

hey , have original Carter rebuild kits,part # P1574, for the Carter P604S fuel pumps,you will also need the following parts to do this job,cal Memphis Equipment CO,901-774-0600,you will need following parts to do this job,GROMMET #7412722,rubber grommet you asked about, Gasket#7412719, fuel tank to hanger plate filter plate gaskets, GASKET #8327750,fuel pump filter plates,you need 2 of them, you could probably cut these 2 gaskets out of gasket matl and get by,the fuel tank hanger gasket is amust have,as is the rubber grommet,and on the top of the tank is a special vent fitting that has a 4 1/2 psi escape valve ,make sure tou clean,this part so you can blow thru it or tank will build up excess internal pressure,good luck on your project,send me a PM and will exchange info so you can purchase pump,thanks for replying,Butch

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks