• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bringing an M35A2 out of the trees and back on the road

targhee trucks

The engine is free

We're back at the trucks for a while. Didn't have much "truck time" today (moved a lot of sprinkler pipe and helped out on the ditch) but I did check the engine in the M35A2 and it is free. So is the clutch. Hoping to get working on it later this week. Yes, I'm going to attempt to drive it out and yes, there will be video.:smile:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starting Dead Vehicles

Targhee I'm new to the green iron as well so this is as much a question as a statement.

I see lots of "fire it up" responses but isn't it best to pre-lube cylinders, dump fuel/air/ oil systems, remove and replace filters, purge and prime fuel lines, clean da tank, get new fuel and a whole bunch of other things I know nothing about?

Just in case someone is reading through the thread 100 years from now and finds my
M135 sitting in the bush (well preserved because of Endura paint) I'd like them to know

"what is the best method to start an engine that has been sitting for a long period of time?".

I'm not saying any of the previous suggestions aren't good. It's just that your engine and I want to know what is best for us.:cool:

targhee trucks

Targhee I'm new to the green iron as well so this is as much a question as a statement.

I see lots of "fire it up" responses but isn't it best to pre-lube cylinders, dump fuel/air/ oil systems, remove and replace filters, purge and prime fuel lines, clean da tank, get new fuel and a whole bunch of other things I know nothing about?

Just in case someone is reading through the thread 100 years from now and finds my
M135 sitting in the bush (well preserved because of Endura paint) I'd like them to know

"what is the best method to start an engine that has been sitting for a long period of time?".

I'm not saying any of the previous suggestions aren't good. It's just that your engine and I want to know what is best for us.:cool:
Plowboy,

Thanks for the question. Actually planning to do that stuff. I like to take my time when starting old internal combustion stuff so I don't do more harm than good. APM 215 gave me filter numbers in an earlier post in this thread. Now if that darn M220 #1 would just fire up, I could get started on this one. :smile:

Jack

Last edited:

targhee trucks

I made a little progress on Friday. Cut down some of the trees and I'm now able to open both doors! Strung together about 200 feet of garden hose, then hosed and shoveled about 40 years of junk and debris out of the cab. Did the same with extension cords and used the shop vac to get what was left. Can't get the power washer to it, so sprayed some Gunk on the engine and hosed it off, but that didn't do much to remove the crud on the engine.

There was a license plate under the driver's seat with a 1980 sticker on it and an insurance paper in the glove box, also with a 1980 date on it, so I'm wondering if that was the last year it was operated. I'm going to check with some of the family members this weekend and see if they have any recollection of when it was last run.

I had hoped to get the tank drained and new filters installed this week, but, that didn't happen, so I'll get on that next week.

Jack

M35A2 clean cab.jpg

M35A2 inst panel.jpg

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made a little progress on Friday. Cut down some of the trees and I'm now able to open both doors! Strung together about 200 feet of garden hose, then hosed and shoveled about 40 years of junk and debris out of the cab. Did the same with extension cords and used the shop vac to get what was left. Can't get the power washer to it, so sprayed some Gunk on the engine and hosed it off, but that didn't do much to remove the crud on the engine.
Amazing what a good cleaning does for the transformation from something found in the woods to "hey, it's a Deuce!".

targhee trucks

Amazing what a good cleaning does for the transformation from something found in the woods to "hey, it's a Deuce!".
Man is that the truth. I've walked past this truck for about 10 years. Never gave it much thought (couldn't see much of it). But now that I've laid my hands on it, cleaned it up a bit and started to think about the possiblities, it's really become important to me.

Jack

waayfast

No snakes. Just wolves and grizzly bears . . .

Not too long ago a pack of wolves came into the farmyard a couple hundred yards from where the truck sits and killed one of the dogs.

This spring a mama griz and her two cubs were seen less than a mile away.

We always travel prepared . . .

Over on this side of the state, standard procedure is: S.S.S.

CCase

Lucky! anything that sat that long in this area of the country could be carried out with a garbage bag. the only things that don't rot to pieces are Deloreans.

care to share on the S.S.S.?

targhee trucks

M35A2 converted to 12V?

I’ve searched the threads but haven’t found anything like this in them. Grateful for any info or advice you can give me. But I’m not an auto electric expert, so use small words. :? Thanks!

There is only one alternator on this truck. It is a 12V 40A. It’s mounted where the 24V alt would have been. The 24 V alt is gone.

M35 12V alt pic 2.jpg

I’ve looked for a location where a separate 12V battery was installed but haven’t found one.

Notice the gauges that aren’t painted white, they’re SW gauges and must have been installed after the truck was changed to 12V.

M35A2 inst panel.jpg

Question 1: the fuel pump and starter still need 24V, so I’m guessing that I install the two 12V batteries as normal, correct?

I'm guessing that the 12V alt is not wired into the battery charge system, so,

Question 2: the two batteries wouldn’t get any charge from the 12V alt, so they must need to be charged separately with a charger, correct?

Jack

Last edited:

gungearz

Are you sure? That really dosnt sound right. It might be a bad 24c pumping out 12v or even a broken wire gining false readings. there should be a plate on the side of it that shows the manufacturer and specs. Have you checked the plate?

Danl

Danl M915A1

Man is that the truth. I've walked past this truck for about 10 years. Never gave it much thought (couldn't see much of it). But now that I've laid my hands on it, cleaned it up a bit and started to think about the possiblities, it's really become important to me.

Jack
The Green Bug Has Set In, And The Hook Is set LOL, Good Luck Keep on Posting

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks