• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broke axle

50BMG

Broke an axel ,had to drive it home in front drive about 3 miles.my question is how do I get the iner part out?I have an ARB air locker on that diff.Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Broke an axel .my question is how do I get the iner part out?I have an ARB air locker on that diff.Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Middle or rear axle I guess? You can try to take the axle from the opposite side out and run conduit all the way through, so if your lucky you might be able to pull the stub out, but in reality, you'll probably have to pull the pumpkin.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends where its broken & if there is anything that you can get a hold on that is sticking out from the splines. Different truck but I once got a stub of broken axle out by using a piece of ABS plastic pipe, slightly smaller size then axle, making a longitudinal spit in the end & taking my jack knife and putting a bevel on the inside so it would get started sliding onto/over the broken stub. The split providing enough spring in the tube to grip the broken stub.If its too short, still use ABS, but large enough to easily slip over the broken stub & slide this tube flush against the pumpkin from the broken side. Reach through from the other side with conduit & push stub into the ABS tube to catch the pieces. (I might have had a 15 to 20 angle on the end too)

Good Luck

In the past I have used a wire with a loop on the end that will tighten when pulled . Put the loop over the axle hold it in with long screwdriver or a rod and pull .

KsM715

I can't help you with the stuck parts however, I am curious, does this truck still have both rear axles? If so do both have air lockers that are tied together? Or is the truck bobbed? Just wondering why you had to drive out in front wheel drive? With the air locker couldn't you just engage the locker and keep driving the truck like it had an open diff? Wouldn't the locker drive the one good axle?

50BMG

I would like to thank you all for the great ideas,I will start on this as soon as it gets warm outside.My deuce is bobed,the axel broke trying to pull a ATT pole truck out of a ditch.I didn't want to engage the locker thinking it may do more damage to the axel.

50BMG

No I didn't get the pole truck out,he was buried up to his tool box on the right.But I also can't get the broke piece out.It broke off about 6 inches from the hub.I took the right axel out,put a 1 inch bar through and hit it with a sledge,did not budge,any suggestions.

50BMG

I think you're right FREDO,but I'm still gonna have to get the axel out in order to get the gears out.I have a spare diff,but I need that ARB locker out.I can't understand what's holding that stub in.

pigpen60

My answer for a rear is, wack it, wack it good. Hook a wire loop on it and give it a tug. If you cant pull the opposite side and drive through your going to have wack it, pry on it to get it loose from the spider/side gears. Pulling the punkin is pointless since you have such a long piece in there. Like someone said earlier its probably twisted in the splines. Good luck! Take pictures! And I could be wrong!

Last edited:

50BMG

I was afraid you guy's wouldn't have good news for me.I really appreciate all your help and thank you.I don't know how to post pictures, but I will post on end result.THANK YOU ALL

50BMG

Well I got it out,there was no damage to the splines,I have no idea what was holding it.I took my tractor, a small 28 hp MF and armed it with the Gannon onto a 1 inch steel rod 4 times,it finally came out, slid the ďuece sideways a foot.Thank you all.I think PIGPEN 60 was rite,beat the **** out of it!
Armed is not what I wrote,it's supposed to be ramed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks