• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broke Down in Billings Montana - Need to find a shop that can replace wheel cylinders

Carlo

I would think is this case there would be a ton of blow by coming out the blow by tube. Even at idle you would see the vapor coming from the presure out of this tube. Is there no car wash close you can unhook the trailer and wash that motor so at least you know?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'd see a lot of vapor/oil, blowing out the road draft tube.

Carlo

Doghead is right. I had a hole in a piston on a John Deere loader and the oil blew out the draft tube and if I pulled the dip stick it would blow out there also.

Wash that motor so you can find that leak and put your worries to rest.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, Thanks All! The symptoms you all described would be what I would expect from such a problem, which is not what we saw at all. I don't think its an oil ring by any means, but he got my Dad worried for a few. So thanks for putting that possibility to rest [thumbzup]

I honestly believe like doghead mentioned in a previous post, that it is most likely the front main seal.
The truck is currently in their (the repair shops) locked security lot, so I can't get to it today. But tomorrow they are going to use a heated power washer which they use on semi engines, and wash the motor down and track the leak from there.

Once I find out anything for sure, I'll post an update.
~Peace

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget to inspect the oil line from the block to the IP. A few members have posted leak issues caused by ether a bad hose or cracked fitting.

o1951

Question:

A friend of ours was talking to my Dad on the phone and he put in his theory of our oil leak problem....
If an oil ring went bad on a piston, and oil in the crank case was being pressured by the piston compression, what would be the symptoms of such a problem??

Wouldn't this be noticeable seen even at idle? Like oil 'bubbles' coming up out of the fill port or other areas?
Would take more than an oil ring - have to loose compression rings to get that kind of blowby. I think you would hear some piston noises, and like Doghead says in post 42 - lottsa blowby out draft tube.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember, a cup full of hot oil can spread around, and look like a freight train wreck. Also it doesn't take a lot of oil on the pavement (when parked), to make a foot size puddle. In the old days, it was not uncommon to have an engine use a quart of oil, every 100 miles. Once I drove a 211 down to Dawson Creek (1500 miles each way), and used 27 gallons of oil on the trip. Plus STP, of course. Nothing really wrong with the engine, but the rings never seated. When I got home, I did an in frame overhaul, honed **** out of the cylinders, and it was fine. Lots of these trucks have never been worked very hard, and they just sit around and idle hours. That coupled with deferred maintenance. Those Guys at the truck shop will fix you up, and you'll be on your way. Just don't over wind it when shifting, and don't drive it over 50 MPH.

Rusty nuts

Maybe you know this trick: Get a piece of cardboard & grease or oil it up, put it under the duals/with hub, and use it to slide the whole thing away from the axle end, to get to your wheel cylinders. Use the jack, to adjust highth, just right. It works slick.
Another way is a piece of plywood and some wood dowel or metal tubing... Moved easily and a lot cleaner although you do need a hard surface.

Heavysteven

Did you check the oil canisters?

You guys are making me nervous I have a lot of vapor from my draft tube. No oil though I figured it was from long idles and lack of use.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update:

The Hansers truck shop we took it to on the weekend and left the deuce in their lockup lot, when we went back there monday morning, the service manager didn't want to do the work. So we went to I-State Truck Center, and talked to their service manager Sean, drove the deuce over, and they replaced all 6 wheel cylinders last night (as their mechanic shop runs 24hours with day and night crews)
We went back this morning, and the truck was done! They looked for oil leaks, and found several small one's, but apparently the larger one is the oil pan gasket, they didn't do anything about that. The center tandem axle hub on the drivers side was also leaking, they did pull the cover and rv that.

Total cost was around $1450 :burn:

We drove the deuce back to walmart parking lot, hooked up the trailer, got back on the road. We only drove about 20 miles from Billings to Park City Exit to a fuel up at a truck stop. When we were stopped at the fuel pumps, I walked around to the driver side door, and out of the corner of my eye I saw smoke. aua

I stepped closer to the drivers front wheel, and there was smoke coming out from behind the rim, and the some paint has been burned off. Felt of the rest of the hubs, and found the center passenger side tandem was also pretty warm.

Called I-State back, told them what we had found, they sent out one of their techs in a service truck. The tech that came was Matt, he wasn't the guy that worked on the truck, but he was nice guy and seemed to know what he was doing. After he jacked up the front axle and then the center axle, he believes that the drivers front axle may have a bearing that over tightened or ??? and the passenger center axle is brake shoes dragging on the drum.
He apologized for the problems several times for us once again being delayed in our trip, and said they'll get it fixed.

He called his manger, and recommended that the deuce be towed back. They called an independent semi towing company, and we are now waiting on the tow truck to arrive.

We have disconnected the trailer, and have the Deuce transmission in neutral and transfer case in neutral.
I'm going to do some seraching, but I think that is all needs to be done to enable the deuce to be towed, but I have never towed a deuce before.
So if someone else knows for sure, Please make a post.

Thanks All,
Will update later when able
~Peace

Carlo

Wow I was afraid of that! You waited all weekend and the tech does want to help you! I was thinking about you guys all weekend and was hoping to hear you were back on the road. Are you sure you dont want them to pull the pan? They might not have a new gasket but there are some great temp sealers that will hold you till you get home.

Our prayers are with you. Keep us posted, please.

o1951

Since pan gasket is under minimal pressure, probably could brake clean oil off in vicinity of leak and squeeze RTV in and around leak area. Should get you home and last until you get a new gasket.

Heavysteven

Watch those guys sounds like they pulled the hubs. Remember there is a piece of cork that goes in the rears.

Make sure and clean your axle breathers. If they pulled the hubs did they check the oil level in the axle.

Well hope you get it fixed. That's a lot of money.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank for the tips guys and all the help, it is Much Appreciated.

Yeah this shop is a major fail in my book, will make sure to never go back nor will I ever recommend I-State Truck Center to anyone. We met another guy there who had just had them install a new turbo charger on his semi, at the tune of $4500, he was there to pick up the truck but he found that it wasn't running right....

Anyway, I was looking in the Deuce TM's and it seems that the oil pan will come straight off without having to remove anything else. Looks like we may have to pull the pan in the parking lot and use permatex gasket maker to get it repaired.

If we could find someone that could haul the deuce to trout creek montana, I might just hire them. As we are told there are major mountains beginning in Livingston, so it looks like no matter what we're going to have to drop the trailer the deuce is pulling either there or maybe in Bozeman, and come back later with our pickup and get it. Right now the pickup is pulling another heavier trailer. The deuce has had a hard time just with the 'hills' we have already encountered, but with the mountains ahead, its not just going up, but going down the other side. My Dad is driving the deuce and he's 72, so the hills has been a bit stressful for him. Unfortunately, I can't hardly fit in the deuce (6' 4") good enough to operate the brake and clutch safely, especially if I had to react quickly.

If anyone knows someone that could haul a deuce, let me know.
Will update later
~Peace

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There aren't any mountains in Montana that your Deuce can't handle, with the trailer on. The only problems that you might have now, is your attitudes. Just fix that pan gasket, if you want to, and go for it. So what, if you go up hills at 20 MPH. You'll never get into trouble on hills, if you go down them, in the same gear, that you go up them in.

In the short driving that you have done since you left the shop, has the engine been leaking more oil? Are you sure that the pan is leaking? Oil is cheap. You aren't the first that has had an oil leak in a Deuce. You can make it!

plym49

My Dad is driving the deuce and he's 72, so the hills has been a bit stressful for him. Unfortunately, I can't hardly fit in the deuce (6' 4") good enough to operate the brake and clutch safely, especially if I had to react quickly.

~Peace
Here are the tricks for a tall person to drive a Deuce:

First, adjust the pedals. Two 9/16" wrenches and you can shorten the height of the brake and clutch pedals from underneath. You will need a piece of coat hangar wire to hold the pedals down whilst you adjust them.

Second, remove the seat back. Completely. Throw a towel over the steel frame for your backrest. (You always travel with a towel, don't you?) :)

Third, adjust the height of the seat bottom to taste.

You will fit behind the steering wheel and you will be able to operate the pedals.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks