• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken start bolt

cliffyp

I have an annoying vibration right at idle that I've been trying to find. It sounds like its coming from the starter area. I crawled under the truck this evening to just start checking/tightening bolts. The butt end of the starter, pointing towards front of vehicle has a little bolt/stud sticking through a bracket. I went to tighten it and it just sheared right off. The following diagram doesn't label the bolt, but it is what nut(5) and washer(6) attach to.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362018886.069906.jpg
Is this a bolt that is replaceable or is it a built in part of the starter body? Other than possibly vibrating, is running the truck going to be harmful to the starter without the support? Unfortunately it will be several days till I'll have time to do anything about it. The truck can sit if need be, but I'd rather drive it if its basically irrelevant.
Thanks for the support!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Without the support bracket attached you run the risk of breaking starter bolts, broken starter or a broken block. May seem extreme but it has happened.

is your starter fat or skinny. (Direct drive or gear reduction)?

the bolt is removable and replaceable. You need to get one from a starter rebuilder.

cliffyp

First time I've messed with the starter. No frame of reference for whether its fat or skinny, reduction or not. As far as I know it's stock. Nothing else on the truck is altered.

I assume the starter has to be removed to replace the bolt? Does the started have to be opened up to get at it from the inside? What do I tell a rebuilder I need? Is there a name or number for it?

acmunro

Prob the best way for you to Identify if the starter is Direct drive or reduction is: The diagram you supplied is the Direct drive. The support bracket has the bend as shown. If it is a reduction starter the correct bracket is really just a straight piece of angle iron.

If your starter is the direct drive model the stud that sticks through the starter brace is really a long bolt that goes through the starter to hold the starter asm to the starter nose. If you explain I think the rebuilder would under stand.

If your starter is the reduction type If I recall correctly the stud is just screwed into the housing. You would have to extract the broken stud and replace it.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck

cliffyp

I did some looking at pictures and it appears I have the older style direct drive. The pictures of the reduction definitely are clear that the bolt is external on a raised hump. None of the pics of the direct drive were clear enough for me to tell where it originates from.

Who would have guessed such a tiny piece of crap bolt is so important to the starter, darn designers should have used beefier stuff.

acmunro

You're welcome. Good luck. I don't think you should have any problems finding one. If you do I should have one from a bad starter laying around.

Hasdrubal

The longer stud with the threaded extension for the mount bracket is part #1975326. They're available, its an easy job to replace, no need for a rebuilder. Let me know if you're interested, I can PM you the link.

cliffyp

The longer stud with the threaded extension for the mount bracket is part #1975326. They're available, its an easy job to replace, no need for a rebuilder. Let me know if you're interested, I can PM you the link.
I wasn't going to have the rebuilder do the work, just source for the bolt. I'll take a look at your link.

charlietango

I kept running into issues with this bracket when I first got my 1009. It was missing the bracket, but at the time I didn't know it even existed. Starter came loose on my twice. First time i didn't realize what was happening and it ate the gears off the pinion due to not seating correctly. Thought it must have come loose to me, slapped myself for not checking EVERYTHING. Bought a new starter and bolted her in. Torqued it down all nice and tight. 3 days later, same noise. Now I know I had a problem. Did some searching on here and voila! missing the front bracket. Apparently VERY important. got one, bolted her up and I haven't touched the starter for 4 years now.

I'm lucky I didn't break the starter bolts. Good luck! Hope it works out

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never attempted to remove the stud from the starter while it was still installed. You may be able to do it. Just make sure the batteries are disconnected first. Not that it will be an issue but why chance it.

The TM 9-2320-289-34P, figure 40 has the diagram and the part number. TM 9-2320-289-34, chapter 4-5 has the starter repair instructions.

"equipmentpartssales" on a favorite auction site shows to have some. They have 10+ sets left. Part #1975326, $18.00

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an annoying vibration right at idle that I've been trying to find. It sounds like its coming from the starter area. I crawled under the truck this evening to just start checking/tightening bolts. The butt end of the starter, pointing toward front of vehicle has a little bolt/stud sticking through a bracket. I went to tighten it and it just sheared right off.
This just happened to me today as well. There was rust dust visible at the nut. I know I have retightened it before. This time, it broke.

Already have new starter bolts in the spares box.

I may just lower it down and try to replace the top motor bolt without removing the wires.

If I have to disconnect the wires, I'll do a full rebuild while it's off.

I do have a good local rebuilder, so I should be able to get what I need local.

Yes, I'll disconnect the batteries.

I need to get a spare direct drive starter, for times like this. PMs welcome.:wink:

btw, I found this and 2 other threads fast and easy by simply searching for the bolt part number listed in the -34P.

Last edited:

phil2968

I just replaced the flywheel this weekend with a NOS from Saturn. The original had only been in there since 08. On the fifth start it ground. It had no shims. Went to Auto Zone and got shims. Added one 1mm and it still ground. Added the other 1mm from the pack and so for so good. Shims is important it seems.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just went out and decided to try removing the long bolt(broken).

I first removed the support bracket, then I was able to break loose the long bolt. Next I removed one starter bolt. I then held the starter up and removed the second bolt, and slid the long bolt out. I then lined up the starter and threaded one bolt back in by hand to hold the starter up(so I did not need to disconnect the wires).

I'll go look for the replacement long bolt tomorrow.

cliffyp

I found that a piece of all-thread cut to length worked well as a temporary replacement for the longer bolt while I waited for the one I ordered to come in. Slid it through the body and tightened it, then added a nut. Left an inch or so of tab sticking out which went through the support bracket, then another nut. I drove it that way for about a week till the real one came in. It worked perfect, no rattle or vibration. I would imagine it could be a permanent replacement, but I went ahead and put the real one in when it came in.