• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bumper number etiquete

Ressoldier

KK- Honor your friend with his unit ID. I am sure your friend will appreciate you wanting to honor him that way and probably even more if you tell him you want to do it. The main point I was trying to say and John S-B was saying is for those of us that have served, it is better to use numbers from a unit we served with and not try to claim affiliation to a different Unit that may have been "high speed" compared to yours. We call those type of soldiers PX Rangers because they might be a support element but will go get the badges and tabs at the PX to wear on a uniform when trying to impress others. Don't claim to be or have been someone or something you are not.

If you are numbering to Honor a friend or family members service then that is fantastic. If you have/ know the history of your vehicle and trying to honor its heritage then also great. That is just my 2cents but as others have said it is your truck.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
does anybody have PIC. of USAF bumper markings from 66-68 vietnan, thanks

SteveKuhn

I'm putting my question in this thread mostly to acknowledge I've read all the foregoing comments on numbers. Semigloss nearly finished, I'm coming close to making a decision on bumper numbers. I have a photo 'as auctioned' that matches CARNAC's VIN Info. Mine's the truck on the right in the photo.

I've also found clear bumper numbers on the curb side for 10th Mtn and in being in touch w/ some NYARG historians from that learned that it got there from NYARNG when the 27th Brigade was assigned to there in the 80's 'round-out'. They also corrected for the '/' instead of '|'. I might find another layer under that history, but I doubt it. Right side numbers are illegible.

So the decision before going to work on stencils:

1. I can use the 133MT numbers as in the photo, but
  2. had the thought that it might be nice to use the truck's service history in 2 lines instead. Left side gets historical left side numbers, chronological, top down; right side gets the full final assignment, curb side top, driver's side bottom. It would look sorta like this (no green lines - needed to separate the sides in this post):

NYARNG 27BG ---------------------------------------------------------NY HTC 106MT
--10MTN3/108 --------------------------------------------------------------133MT 405

Just thought I'd put the idea out for comment. Anyone?

Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

Amer-team

That is neat that you know the history of the vehicle and instead of honoring only one unit, you have the chance to honor 4 of them. I say keep with it.

I do not know the history of my 42 GPW, so it is generally painted in my uncle's Engineer unit from WW2, but lately if called upon to do a display, I will repaint the numbers to some unit that is significant to the group that we are displaying for. It is very gratifying to see the faces of the Vets when they see their unit on the vehicle.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The simplest answer I can give is it's your truck, paint it the way you want. If you want authenticity, there's plenty of threads that'll tell you the info you need. Since you want to go out on your own, my thought...go for it. I just finished painting mine and marked the bumper with my old unit and then marked the truck number with the tail number from my CH-53A. Have fun and show your pride[thumbzup][thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks