• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying a M1009, would like some second opinions.

SgtHaas

I looked at the M1009 today and drove it around in 2wd 4hi & 4Low did a multi point inspection, checked just about everything. All is good. Transmission is good, starts great, sounds great, steering is good, suspension is good, new exhaust, break lines and breaks are good, underbody is clean, No RUST AT ALL. It just needs a little TLC like most MV's.
Here is the list that needs work;
1. Weather stripping around the driver & passenger windows.
2. Rear window crank.
3. New light bulbs.
4. Alignment
5. Tires
Seller is asking $5,000 for it. I want to know if I am getting a good deal. Seller is not willing to drop in price at all. My bank said the NADA value was $3250 but I know there is a market price difference not to mention they are getting rare to find.

Any help would be great. Before I hand over the cash.

uploadfromtaptalk1435886775101.jpguploadfromtaptalk1435886825515.jpguploadfromtaptalk1435886872604.jpg

cucvrus

It is a toy. I think it is a good price. It is less expensive then a Honda 4 wheeler. It can go 80 mph and you can drive it thru mud and not get wet. Beats the Honda in that respect. But beware you will be working on it from time to time. Hands down it is a fun vehicle to drive and turns a lot of heads and makes people ask questions. The things you listed are minor and relatively inexpensive with the exception of the tires. Keep it stock it will hold its value amongst collectors. Chop it up it becomes less valuable to anyone. That is my opinion on the deal. Buy it. But keep an open mind it is a 30 year old vehicle. Not a toy for a man with shallow pockets. I hope it is not your daily driver. If it is keep your boots at the ready. You will have a few bugs to work out till you are 100% confident that it is reliable. I have 4 M1009's and they are all reliable to a point. I am forever vigilant and doing updates and PM on all of them.

Last edited:

rsh4364

Where else can you find a full size 4wd Diesel vehicle that's capable of 18-22 mpg,has a huge cool factor,and is simple enough to actually work on with out hooking it up to a computer?You didn't mention mileage on the 1009,I recently purchased one with 38,900 miles advertised for 3,800$ only to find out it actually has 73,000 on it.

Last edited:

SgtHaas

Where else can you find a full size 4wd Diesel vehicle that's capable of 18-22 mpg,has a huge cool factor,and is simple enough to actually work on with out hooking it up to a computer?You didn't mention mileage on the 1009,I recently purchased one with 38,900 miles advertised for 3,800$ only to find out it actually has 73,000 on it.
It has 32000 on it .

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don't buy it I will. They are great trucks and that one isn't even broke in yet. I bought mine in 2011 with 70,000 on it for $2600. Did some body work added accessories and have about $6,000 in it now. I drive it every chance I get "in the summer" and wouldn't trade for twice that.

donalloy1

Love my O9! She is Daily Driver and rarely lets me down. Glow Plug Relay and Glow Controller Card are the only items that have struggled with. After a couple years they just fail? Keep a couple laying around for GP. The rest has been normal service related items that you would expect with any vehicle that is operated daily. Watch service points like a Hawk and get to know electrical system intimately. Other than that she is a blast to operate. Thank you for your service by the way. Semper Fi!

BOBCAT

I agree with everything posted above, and would also point out that most mechanics were probably born about the same time this truck was and are not very familiar with them. These trucks have no place to fix a diagnostic computer.

I really like mine and use it has a daily driver. From what I see in Virginia and North Carolina, $5000 is a bit steep. I paid about half that for mine, with 20,000 on the clock and the overdrive transmission. Just a month or so ago I saw one on a different site in good running condition, with 10 wheels and tires, 2 motors, and a bunch of other stuff for $1750. There are a bunch around here though and maybe not that many in Augusta. Maybe he just doesn't want to sell it though. I probably wouldn't sell mine for $5000 either.

Good luck and have a great 4th!

welpro222

I just picked up a m1008 with 67k for $2100, but it has a leaky IP. The thing is with these truck, they r worth what people are willing to pay for one. As with any older vehicle, they are not making these anymore and the government is running out of them to sell.

The original owner of mine paid $1700 for it back in 2001 with 23k on it. So they do hold some value and increase in value, but you will just loose some money in repairs.

rsh4364

One thing to note,if paying a premium price for a low miles cucv, do everything you can to verify miles are correct.Sometimes just googleing the vin # will tell you a lot.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the opportunity to drive one that I was delivering to another guy, my observations on it were as follows! RPMs always seemed TO HIGH, it was the noisiest vehicle I had ever been in (it was noisier than my stock Deuce) the motor seemed pretty much gutless, and this one was supposed to have only 28K on it. The steering was loose! The good points are as follows. fuel filter was easy to change! yea thats about it! For what its worth and this is only my opinion and it should mean nothing to anybody else BUT ME, I have not time for these toys!
KK

MarcusOReallyus

Transmission is good, starts great, sounds great, steering is good, suspension is good, new exhaust, break lines and breaks are good,

What breaks could possibly be good? Other than a break from work, of course.

Why would you want to buy a broken vehicle at a premium price?

rsh4364

Was just looking again and wondered why that 1009 looked familiar,went to a auction site and checked my watch list.That truck was listed on egay a while back,miliage was listed at less than 50k,rebuilt trans.It topped out at 2,550$ and bids died off.Looks like a nice solid truck,I would go 3200-3800$ on it.After verifying miles.

Last edited:

richingalveston

Rust free is hard to find, that will bring a premium on a stock cucv today. I paid 3200 for mine in 2011. GL truck, drove from tx to Barstow to get it. It was rust free but unfortunately it got beat up by the GL forklifts. So after the body work and $1k to pick it up, I had $5k in mine.

I would by it at 5k if the body was perfect, no rust and it runs good. Everything else you will end up fixing at some point if you keep it long enough.

As far as keeping it stock, that is up to you. I bought mine to improve it and make it what I want. There are still plenty of museum pieces out there they do not need mine.

Rich

MarcusOReallyus

As far as keeping it stock, that is up to you. I bought mine to improve it and make it what I want. There are still plenty of museum pieces out there they do not need mine.
Bingo. If you own it, you do what you want with it. Museum piece, daily driver, workhorse, showboat, hotrod, whatever. It's your call.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As to your points: dried out gaskets are very common. Replacing the rear window crank is a pain in the neck, but doable. I bought a replacement reproduction crank handle for under $40. 3 through 5 are routine maintenance. If you buy the truck, read my sticky on replacing the steering tie rod. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?125140-M1009-Tie-Rod-End-Replacement-Project
I can't judge whether that M1009 is worth $5000 from the pictures you posted, so my advice is to find a local MV club in your area. Someone in the club might have experience with CUCV's. If you can find someone, ask him to take a look at the truck with you to see if it's worth $5000. Ask around in that club if anyone knows of a M1009 for sale in good shape. If it turns out to be a no-go, watch the Classifieds section here. I would rather buy a truck from a Steel Soldiers member than take a risk with someone that lists trucks on a popular auction site.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I was buying it, I'd want to get it for $3500 or so.

If I was selling it, I'd start it at about $5500 and expect to get $4500 or so.

So, it is neither an exorbitant price nor a screaming deal. If a M1009 is what you want, that one looks ok. Pay no attention to the odometer reading...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks