• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying a M1009, would like some second opinions.

SgtHaas

If you have never had one before you are going to learn one of two things.
1: you will learn to love it.
2: or you will hate it, but it takes a lot to hate one. I mean like the truck causing a global ice age.
If it gives you a problem and you are getting made just go chill out and vent your frustration here http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?141165-Who-has-been-mad-at-your-cucv/page3.
Haha yeah, this is my first one. I fell in love with them when I was 8 and now 28 finally found one. So many things that I want to do. Can't wait! This will be my daily driver (short commute ) Needs some little work but nothing too serious.

the skull

Be Prepared. CUCV's like to teach lessons to their owners at some very inopportune moments.
Mine taught me I need battery cable repair/replacement in the middle of a recycling mission.
If in doubt, leave it running. Keep a test light and a couple of tools in the truck just in case
school starts early. But, don't give up.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a nice tuck. If you wanted to outfit it with radios, we have a rear radio rack and antenna guard.

edpdx

Here is the list that needs work;
1. Weather stripping around the driver & passenger windows.
2. Rear window crank.
3. New light bulbs.
4. Alignment
5. Tires
Seller is asking $5,000 for it. I want to know if I am getting a good deal. Seller is not willing to drop in price at all. My bank said the NADA value was $3250 but I know there is a market price difference not to mention they are getting rare to find.

Any help would be great. Before I hand over the cash.
Ask yourself what you'd get with $5,000 instead, and then ask if it has low miles, ask if it looks waaay cool.

If it's not rusted or full of Bondo, or leaking like a sieve, I'd get it.

The seals are a little bit of a pain. The rear crank is easy if you just take a couple of hours to catalog the parts as you remove them. Have the new sweeps, channels, regulator and lockable crank ready. The key on that job for me was to replace the regulator ($110 GM part). If you do this and clean and oil all the channels and plastic rollers, then it roll smooth as butter. If you just replace the crank, the regulator will soon cause the new one to break because of worn gritty parts and worn teeth that slip past the clutch crank.

Get it, you'll never be sorry once you become familiar with it.

Breaker

Well I picked it up today, couldn't be more HAPPIER!!!!!View attachment 569443View attachment 569444
Looks good! First time I got in mine and took it for a test dive I got a smile on my face so big my fiancee looked over and said "you're buying it aren't you?"

They are a labor of love, and just when you think you have everything fixed, something will break. They have a charm to them, and it doesn't seem to wear off. I hope it treats you well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks