• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying M923 on CL vs GL

hambo

I am interested in getting a 5 ton after I purchased a m35a2 last fall. I was going to try to win one on GL but I also didn't want to deal with the headache of inspecting the truck since my closest lot is far away. I also didn't want to deal with the EUC form and people stealing parts while I waited. However, I found an M923a2 with a cargo tarp and bows near me for $7200 on CL. Would this be a better idea than trying to get one cheaper from GL? Thanks

brasco

I don't think $7200 sounds too bad if it is in good condition. You might get a better deal on GL but maybe not. If it is close and you can inspect it, I would say go for it... you may be able to negotiate a better price too.

You can also take it for a test drive.

Don

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

Make sure the seller has a solid title (not an SF-97) in hand before you show him the color of your money.

I've seen them sell higher and lower than that. If it has a hard top and is in good condition that is not a bad price. Super singles are expensive, make sure the tires have good tread.

hambo

It has a soft top unfortunately. But the ad says clean title so I think he has the title. It also has the cargo cover so that makes it worth a little more I would think?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has a soft top unfortunately. But the ad says clean title so I think he has the title. It also has the cargo cover so that makes it worth a little more I would think?

Look at the title. Make sure it really exists. If not, cease all thoughts of buying that truck.

Nice m923a2s sell for $5500 to about $9500. Here's my value equation, yours may differ:

The truck in poor condition - $2k, sell a part or 2 and scrap it
Cargo cover and bows etc - $1k, easily added later
Hardtop - $800, but I like a soft top just fine.
Winch - $1k, adding it later is not a trivial exercise
Super singles - $500, they are easy to add to a truck without
Proximity - $1 per mile. The truck that's 1000 miles closer is $1k better.

Now you have to figure in a value for being in better than poor condition, and a value for the fact that you can test drive it, because that's worth something too.

A2 generally worth more than a0 or a1. The big differences there are CTIS and 50% better fuel efficiency. Adding the CTIS or 8.3CTD isn't practical. If these are must-haves then you start with an a2.

Another way to look at it : estimate what the truck would bring on GL, and then add in value for what the detailed inspection and test drive is worth. (A known - good truck is about $1k higher than GL auction value to me, your valuation may vary) the reason the GL trucks are cheap is because you risk getting a Dead truck.

There is no EUC on most 5tons. Pick it up within the 10 day window.

Last edited:

74M35A2

Truck sales are live again.

I bought my M925A2 off an individual who first bought it from GL. Sure, I paid a few grand more, but the risk was near zero, and for me that was worth it as I just wanted a single good running truck, and that is what I got. From an individual, you can actually test drive it, and that made all the difference to me. I am not a GL expert, having never done it, but I have read stories of that going both way, meaning "starts and runs" was a hole in the block, and "doesn't run" was just a dead battery. Everything in between also.

On the extras, it is almost always cheaper to buy what you want up front, rather than adding it later. Trying to add to the level you want, you need to add shipping costs, and most things will be incomplete and you need to spend a lot of time hunting all the small stuff down. Adding a winch to the front of a 923 to make it a 925 would be an example there. I wanted factory singles, working CTIS, winch, and the turbo 8.3L. The M925A2 is the more expensive of the 923/925's, but I would do it all over again without hesitation. Since buying it, I have not had to work on it, I just drive it.

I've put 4000 miles on my 925A2 since buying it from tractors0130 on here last October, and I could not be happier.

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hambo,
GL has a lot of inventory to move in the next month or so. Indy and Sparta are relatively close and have good contacts to preview a truck for you. Half the fun is the recovery. You may save a few K$$. Just a thought.
JC

Sephirothq

The nice thing about CL is you can go see it in person, take it for a test drive hear it run, check for any problems and then may or may not buy it

GL is you get what you see maybe not, and no promises. Alot more risk from GL. Some people have gotten lucky and some have gotten burnt.

Enjoy.

hambo

Thanks for all the responses. At this point I think I might go look at the CL truck and see if it has a title and is a solid runner. If its not everything im looking for then I'm gonna try my luck on GL

TacticalDoc

Most can get a good truck for 4k on GL. If nothing was done to it like being serviced or removing the CTIS I would consider paying 5k for it. If other things were done to it then I might pay more depending.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks