• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CA DMV!!!! get out your wallet!

SMOKEWAGON66

SOOO i bit the bullet and went to the CA DMV yesterday. all in all wasnt bad, i got a month-long moving permit for my 109, and paid all the fees to get it registered and titled. although i do hate CA for its rules and sneeky ways of getting more money out of anyone that has anything other then a "sedan" . i had to register the deuce as a class B weight vehicle (15K-20K lbs) which cost me like $500+ a year in "weight tax" as for the rest, title, registration, etc, etc i ended up paying $712. that coupled with the just over $2K a year insurance....getting to be a pricey hobby lol...ohh well...gotta pay to play sometimes.:rant:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should have registered it Historical Vehicle unless you planned on using it for commercial/daily use. Way cheaper and no one that I know of has been hassled with historical plates. What part of Cali are you in?

SMOKEWAGON66

You should have registered it Historical Vehicle unless you planned on using it for commercial/daily use. Way cheaper and no one that I know of has been hassled with historical plates. What part of Cali are you in?

i live in so cal...near the desert. i inquired about historical plates and yes it is cheaper and less hassle, but i do intend to drive the truck to other then "just parades and carshows" as the DMV explained lol..too many restrictions on the HP's so....but once i get the van box converted into living quarters, i can re-register it as an RV and then the weight class wont apply and the registration will go back down to near "auto" levels.

Craig C

Should have reg'd it as a housecar to begin with, this state sucks when it comes to fees. Nothing more than TAXES for politicians to put in their pockets or their friends pockets.

Matt, do you know what section that is abt the wt fees and being handicapped....would love to know that one.

Flyingvan911

I paid $12.00 for a Kansas temp tag and $104.50 a year for a BL24 (beyond local 24,000 lb) plate here in Missouri. Our historic plates are also very restrictive.

SMOKEWAGON66

2k for insurance? am i reading this right?
yup... 2 thousand. im sure its cuz i have tickets and none of the ins. companys i talked to even knew WTF i was talking about when describing the truck to them lol...they said since it weighed so much and wasnt registered as an RV that i had to have a commercial policy (750/1mil payout) ...once its converted though and its registered as an RV that will also drop...but being that ive been in cali all my life, i wasnt suprized at the fee's and am used to being bent over by beuracrats to own and operate unusual things. its just like gun control...all these policys do is make honest law abiding citizens pay more at the expense of all the jerks who do things illegally:deadhorse:

bratpackdad

Wow you got ripped...go through AAA and get Historical Vehicle plates...you could have saved $600
I drive mine all over all the time and never have an issue. You are allowed to drive around, fuel etc.
It's not that restrictive.

unimoger

Looks like you want to throw money away! I registerd my UNIMOG Radiobox as a camper/van, same class as an RV and historical plates. Lots of advantages to it beside the $$$ savings. You can keep a firearm in the back and can drink in it also without being ticket for an open container among other things. My insurance is only $32 on TWO unimogs! As for the HV plates ANY use of the truck for MV club use is legal. You just have to be creative about the use!

OSO

My M328 which is my avatar. Has collector plate only one . Insurance just paid $271.00 per 6mo. Commerical policy unlimted miliage . Now the plate cannot use a daily driver , NOTE this truck is So large kinda hard not to notice when on the road .

Attachments

Gunnar1071

I didn't see anything in the TS' profile about age, but under 25 or 9 years driving experience, Cali insurance rates are insane.

I need to call AAA and see what insurance would cost me.:confused:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks