• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab air leveler valve dumping air

everything petrol

I'm having some trouble with the cab air leveler valve dumping air out of the rubber grommet pictured below. When I first got my hands on the truck there was electrical tape wrapped around the box several times holding the air back. Thx Superman for pointing me in the right direction of the manufacture (Power Packers).
I was able to order a new valve and after installing I still have the same issue... air continues dumping from the grommet. Could the air system or control box be over pressuring?
Still waiting to hear back from Power Packers so any suggestions help.

1997 M1078
IMG_3866.jpg

Last edited:

everything petrol

They both lift when activated but seem to sit rather high. I know the bags are suppose to be adjusted to acomadate a 2.6 to 2.8 inch gap. Trying to adjust the height doesn't do anything and air continues to leak out.

everything petrol

So I finally had some time to check the lines and I found two that were swapped. The exit line from the T fitting and an output from the cab leveler. One thing I've come to terms with on this truck is never get too prematurely excited about anything. After swapping the lines and hoping for the best, I flipped the switch... bags inflated but air continues to leak out. Definitely not as much as before though.

For some reason the bags seem to be over inflating causing the cab lever arm to overextend and dump air.
IMG_3902.jpg
IMG_3907.jpg
If the leveler ever goes higher then the red line air starts to dump.
IMG_3900.jpg
When I have the airbags activated and disconnect the linkage from the leveler arm in a neutral position no air comes out. The second I were to raise the arm to the linkage air would start coming out again.

I'm wondering if something's causing excessive pressure in the system making the airbags over inflate. Possibly the pressure protection valve off the wet tank or the air governor off the air pump?? Not too sure... need to figure out how much pressures building in the wet tank. Should be between 120-130psi.

I remember reading somewhere from power packers the leveler valve itself should have max 100psi.

The saga continues

kenet3621

I have an air leak from my cab leveler also. Mine leaks air regardless of "arm" position. Any tips on how to replace or repair the leaking fitting?
Photos attached....

AirLeak (3).jpgAirLeak (2).jpg

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I'm still working on one. Figured out the leveling valve is actually made by Barksdale. Costs a lot less than the Powerpacker branded version. I have one truck no matter what I do or swap the airbags inflate to the max and the darn level valve leaks. It's not the level valve swapped that twice. Replaced the clippers check valve behind the manifold control. Verified lines on other trucks. Tried the system with less air pressure.

coachgeo

The airbags over inflate. Only place air leaks is the leveler once it's maxed out.
were on the leveler does it leak?... where the air line inserts? (hence the question on pin hole on air line right where it screws on) or out a seam in the valve casing.. or where the lever arm goes into the case or?

Thinking that line pressure goes up in the air line when the valve maxes out and cuts off the entry of air into the valve. Therefore the air is bottlenecked in the line now and may then seek easiest place to go... aka.... pinhole in air line if one exist. Mentioned it might have something to do with air line cause sounds like it's the only thing you've not changed so far. Granted if it is not leaking at the line where it enters into the valve then?????

But then again... that does not address over inflation hmmm. Once bags are over inflated do they settle back down to correct pressure via leak ing air to normal psi then maintain that and the air leak stops.. orr??

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
So for some reason the system has 2 air feed lines one to the cab level valve and one to one of the airbags and its supposed to have a check valve at this line where it meets the airbag feed, per the parts tm. I am thinking its either for over-pressure or its a drain down line. I spoke with the Powerpacker tech he didnt know why the extra line would be there. I removed that line and the system seems to work fine no more leaking from the valve. Air was coming in thru the extra line pushing the airbags up, once up past center line the valve is intended to vent off extra air in the bags. But since the extra air line was continuously feeding in more air it just stayed up and kept blowing out.

everything petrol

So by removing the line from the T fitting to the passenger airbag with the check valve resolve the issue, or did you just cap that line off? Per TM the line looks to be 503. Why incorporate this line if it's going to cause an abundance of dumped air?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks