• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camo Netting Support Systems

Artisan

Can anyone give me the pros and cons of the different Camo netting Support Systems please?

There is;

Aluminum Poles
Plastic (Fiberglass???) Poles
Round top spreaders
and the spreaders where you use I think 3 pieces that look like an Exclamation mark

Originally my unit had the fiberglass poles. When they started to break and became unusable, we turned them in for the aluminum ones.

When the aluminum ones bent and became unusable, we could not use them. They also made more noise banging against each other, if you threw them in a pile.

We finally determined the best procedure was to not break them - or bend them. No guidance on throwing them in a pile.

We had the three peice "helicopter" type tops. They would break the "wings" on the tops, if you put too much stress on them. Ocassionally, the plastic "nut" holding the "wings" together would break.

We did not have the round ones. They came later. As I understand it, they are used with a net that has smaller "holes".

I have the "old" style nets with the "larger holes" and use the "helicopter" type tops. I also have the fiberglass poles. Since I am the one that actually paid for them, I take care of them and do not break them - or throw them in a pile.

Artisan

A little first hand experience is most welcomed.

I garner from this that perhaps the Aluminum poles would be more desirable then the plastic poles
and the round tops might be tougher than the helicopter tops.

Thank You

A little first hand experience is most welcomed.

I garner from this that perhaps the Aluminum poles would be more desirable then the plastic poles
and the round tops might be tougher than the helicopter tops.

Thank You
The aluminum ones don't break, but they do bend. If this bend is at the socket, you will have difficulty using the pole. I am not certain the round tops will work on the old style nets with the bigger holes. I do know they (the round tops) have a smaller overall diameter than the "helicopter" style.

As to the desirability, I wanted the fiberglass poles with the "helicopter" tops. It took me a little longer to find them. That might be because they are the "older" style. I get the "old" stuff (even if it is only 10-20 years old) before I collect the "new" stuff.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
:ditto: round good, paddles bad. The aluminum make great cheater bars, you would think they would bend but they don't, I carry one on each of my MV's.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used plenty of camo nets and support systems. Fiberglass poles break at the slightiest breeze. Aluminum bend, but that's very rare. You will bend 1 aluminum pole to breaking 20 fiberglass poles.

Round tops or the battens, all depends on the type of netting. ULCANS uses the round, and LLWCS uses the battens.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Roll your cuffs in if they have buttons on them (BDUs) when putting up Camo net.

I've put up tons of Camo net and rarely had a problem with the three piece battens. The only time I recall any issue was when a large net was weighted down with heavy wet snow.

Aluminum poles are superior. In addition to the factors listed above, the ends of the fiberglass poles have a tendency to split, even if slightly crushed. Resulting in fiberglass splinters on the ends.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used plenty of camo nets and support systems. Fiberglass poles break at the slightiest breeze. Aluminum bend, but that's very rare. You will bend 1 aluminum pole to breaking 20 fiberglass poles.

Round tops or the battens, all depends on the type of netting. ULCANS uses the round, and LLWCS uses the battens.
3-year old thread bump, but I was trying to determine which type of camouflage net I had "ULCANS" vs "LLWCS", and thus, which type of spreaders I should buy for this system (the "helicopter" battens or the round ones). So I hope this is will be of use to a future reader/searcher.

The transport case with velcro and 'D' buckles reads:

2016-11-09 17.04.20.jpg
SYSTEM NSN 1080-01-266-1827
CAMOUFLAGE SCREENING
SYSTEM - WOODLAND
RADAR SCATTERING
TYPE IV
CASE NSN 1080-01-266-xx91
CASE MFR 49608
CASE CONTRACT NO. DAAK01-87-D-A063
CASE US/LOT NO 11/88
97400 13229E00 8
SYSTEM MFR 53119
SYSTEM CONTRACT NO. DAA501-87-D-A063
SYSTEM US/LOT NO. 10/89

2016-11-19 13.55.49.jpg 2016-11-09 16.50.32.jpg 2016-11-09 16.49.14.jpg 2016-11-09 16.50.48.jpg

And the greatly damaged TM 5-1080-200-13&P that came with it defines it as "Lightweight Camouflage Screen Systems and Support Systems".
2017-01-21 08.22.05.jpg

That seems like "LWCSS" to me (vs "LLWCS", but anyway), and inside in section "2-2 ERECTING SCREENS", pages 2-2 and 2-3, it shows the 3-wing spreader batten:
tm_5-1080-200-13&P_page_2-2.jpg tm_5-1080-200-13&P_page_2-3.jpg

Full TM attached (which I didn't find on the site, and I'm also posting to the TM Upload section).

Though one question, how "well" would the round pole tops work with this net? I assume the poles are the same and either spreader fits the aluminum or fiber glass poles?

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have the LWCS. There should probably be more Ls and Ss in there, but that's what we called it in the Marines. :razz:

I've extensively used both types of netting, though mainly the older LWCS.

The LWCS can be a real pain to put up/take down because they hang up on everything! It is good camo, though.
The "helicopter" spreaders (we called them palm trees) go with this net.

The round spreaders with all the spikes go with the newer ULCANS nets, which have a much finer mesh supporting the camo.
My experience with using ULCANS spreader with LWCS netting is that in any wind, they tend to punch right through the net. They can do a lot of damage while doing so. Then the Gunny does a lot of yelling!
The 'palm trees' spread the load of the bigger mesh, so they don't punch through. In really high wind, though, they will break/fold down and go through, but if it gets to that point, you should have already dropped the netting! (If you didn't, again the Gunny does a lot of yelling)

The carrying case was always called a burrito.

Cheers

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
First came aluminum poles. We used them in the early 70's. Then, someone decided that fiberglass was cheaper, lighter, easier to make and made less noise. Every unit wound up ordering countless replacement pole systems. And in the beginning, the first fiberglass poles didt mate up with aluminum poles. What a mess.

After a few years, it became apparent that the fiberglass system was not all it was cracked up to be. Way to much breakage. I hated the person who made the decision to go to fiberglass. I would have impaled him on a fiberglass pole if I could. We used truckloads of camouflage systems to hide our HAWK Missile equipment. Then we went back to aluminum. Thank you Lord!!!!! The only way aluminum gets bent, is if you abuse it. Take care of it, and it will last for ever. If the ends wont fit anymore, use a file to take off the burrs. Try that with fiberglass! I have several aluminum poles I use for my bird feeders. I take them down every year. They have been good to me for 30 plus years. Fiberglass would have been tossed away long ago.

Guyfang

Staff member
This looks like Basic HAWK. We went from Basic to Improved in 1977, so it's older than 40 years, at least. What you are looking at is a HAWK M-501 Loader-Transporter getting ready to load, or unload, three MIM-23 Birds onto a M-192 Launcher. There was a WHOLE lot of other pieces of equipment in a firing battery. We were in a TRIAD firing battery, so we had even MORE equipment then a normal unit. The first 4 years in HAWK, we were a Self Propelled, (SP) TRIAD HAWK unit. The beast below, (Wiki link) was our Self Propelled Launcher, (SPL). It is a M-727, (modified M-548 tracked vehicle) Self Propelled Launcher. I believe it weighed 17 tons or there abouts. When we took the governor's off, and I can not remember ever seeing one on a SPL, we could do about 60MPH, at least. It was fun on the autobahn! We had about 40-45 prime movers, with towed loads. That was just system stuff. The ash and trash added even more. Yeah, we had LOTS of camouflage.

830827-R1-17-18.jpg
The picture above was our site in Bamberg Germany. From the launcher section, showing both an SPL and a normal launcher, (M-192), and a HIPOWER, (AN/MPQ-33/39) radar on top of the berm.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I keep one aluminum pole on every truck I own, they are super tough. I have added used them as a cheater pipe on a 3' cheater bar with my 250lb hanging or standing to bust a lug loose, leverage on a chain binder, as a roller to push a heavy pallet farther into a truck bed and have yet to bend one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks