• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

camper idea please comment

alleuro

IMG_0697.jpgIMG_0906.PNGSo I'm thinking of a straight pop up vs the side pop up in this photo and rendering. What do you think the risk is of flexing with this mounted on the standard flat bed vs. a sub frame. I have crane access to remove it and would build fork pockets into the base and lift eyes in the corners.

Advantages:

• Slip in and out
  • low height for lower CG
  • Retains cab height profile on vehicle for better brush wheeling
  • Low weight if made from Aluminium
Was thinking a couple of spring mounts like the radio box mount and couple of spuds in the stake pockets for positioning.

the question is how much flex on a standard bed if I mount this as suggested?

coachgeo

IMHO often trucks like these will work better off road with some weight in the back since it is designed to haul. So limit your TOTAL weight to your crane/forklift.

To lock it down consider a goose neck ball in the bed of the truck and a goose neck attachment just under floor of the camper. Not sure it matters which end you put this. Other end affixed with captured spring locking something or another maybe? Might could actually lock both ends with a gooseneck and use air bags in the corners of some kind? Heck could use air bags to level the camper some when parked :shrugs:.

Then again... how do they affix slide in campers...... rarely do they have any accommodation for flex do they?

IMHO.... build a ROP for the cab too.

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
....Then again... how do they affix slide in campers...... rarely do they have any accommodation for flex do they?

IMHO.... build a ROP for the cab too.
They use springs in the tie-downs. My camper is very rigid, so any bed flex, the springs allow the bed to flex under the camper box.

alleuro

works better with a load...

The company I work for has a 650T edit_DSC00899_web.jpg I think I'll limit the weight to a reasonable load for traction...:pIMHO often trucks like these will work better off road with some weight in the back since it is designed to haul. So limit your TOTAL weight to your crane/forklift.

Last edited:

Camel Driver

Uh, stupid question, how does the military mount their boxes on the bed? IIRC, their tie down system has some springs at each corner? Or was I looking at something else? Dang, I knew I should have bookmarked that!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You probably saw turnbuckles. I would think mounting it to the bed would be fine. The suspension and frame flex should be enough not to wreck the shelter sitting in the bed.

DCLund

1078 camper

This was my first answer to adding a camper. Only time will tell if it's the last. I used plates on the trailer wheel hubs to lower and attach it to the bed. It uses the trailer suspension there and is hinge bolted at the front. It takes about a half hour to disconnect and remove it. The tongue is shortened and can have the removed portion added back for towing the camper. The front slide out bed is replaced with a canvas wall. I am able to set it up by myself from the ground and inside except for attaching the elastic cords under the bed slide out. That requires a short step ladder.
I hope to finish the brushguards, decks and stairway this spring.
If it holds up it's a great way to go: King bed, dinette bed, heat, a/c, stove, oven, fridge, ref/freezer, toilet/shower.

Dane
IMG_2545.JPG

coachgeo

This was my first answer to adding a camper. ...used plates on the trailer wheel hubs to lower and attach it to the bed. It uses the trailer suspension there and is hinge bolted at the front. ....
Great job... like minds I guess. That set up was direction I initially planned... before I went off the deep end lol. Back then for a front hinge to compliment trailer suspension was thinking using trailer ball on deck of bed and hook that to trailer via a relocated tongue. Look forward to seeing more pics of details of your set up (and larger ones).

Have you seen Bill Caid's set up?

Last edited:

quickfarms

This was my first answer to adding a camper. Only time will tell if it's the last. I used plates on the trailer wheel hubs to lower and attach it to the bed. It uses the trailer suspension there and is hinge bolted at the front. It takes about a half hour to disconnect and remove it. The tongue is shortened and can have the removed portion added back for towing the camper. The front slide out bed is replaced with a canvas wall. I am able to set it up by myself from the ground and inside except for attaching the elastic cords under the bed slide out. That requires a short step ladder.
I hope to finish the brushguards, decks and stairway this spring.
If it holds up it's a great way to go: King bed, dinette bed, heat, a/c, stove, oven, fridge, ref/freezer, toilet/shower.

Dane
View attachment 719817
What make and model camper did you use

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks