• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

can anybody decode these codes

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi there

I have some codes painted on my hood.
65AC2977-EACE-496A-BE71-A14419589C3C.jpeg
The last line I think is related to the rebuild date. That was according to the plaque in 04/2009 and CARC certainly refers to the color.

But what stands the rest for?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CARC is when it was painted
CC:E was last “condition code” assigned to truck

Serviceable material which requires test, alteration, modification, conversion or disassembly. This does not include items which must be inspected or tested immediately prior to issue. E. Unserviceable limited restoration.

SmartDrug

CARC is when it was painted
CC:E was last “condition code” assigned to truck

Serviceable material which requires test, alteration, modification, conversion or disassembly. This does not include items which must be inspected or tested immediately prior to issue. E. Unserviceable limited restoration.
I read somewhere that the "E" code was used when the truck was ear-marked for sale. It's why it appears to be added after the rest of the stencil. Whoever applied my "E" did so sloppily, you can see that there was "A" before they covered it up. Not sure what that's worth, but figured I'd share.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are embarkation codes, on USMC vehicles. They are usually stenciled near or on the right front corner of the vehicle.

I got this information from my Marine combat engineer son.

As noted above, C/C is Condition Code - E indicates that the equipment is only to be repaired if the expense is limited (as in no major repairs will be carried out, so if the engine goes out, its off to disposal).
A means like new; B means serviceable but with some restrictions on issue to certain units; F means the item is obsolete, anything breaks and its gone.
There are others, but they are rarely seen on MVs.

REB. is rebuild date, yours doesn't have one.

There is usually a REC., with the date the item was received by the current unit.

PRES. is preservation code, what level of preservation an item has had applied while on a ship. In this case none but maybe intake/exhaust covers, it is ready to drive.

2320- etc is the NSN for that piece of equipment

WR CARC is for water reducable CARC, and the date it was painted.

P000 is the location code aboard the ship. According to my son "Only Squids know what that means..." :razz:

Does your vehicle have a UIC? It will be an M followed by five numbers, example M21640. Usually painted somewhere along the sides, and sometimes on the back.

Cheers

Last edited:

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Rory

Thanks for your detailed explanations. And sorry for my delay. Was busy as hell this days and now i'm able to read all the accumulated threads.

As noted above, C/C is Condition Code - E indicates that the equipment is only to be repaired if the expense is limited (as in no major repairs will be carried out, so if the engine goes out, its off to disposal).
A means like new; B means serviceable but with some restrictions on issue to certain units; F means the item is obsolete, anything breaks and its gone.
There are others, but they are rarely seen on MVs.
I'm a little surprised by that.
The truck is in realy good condition. No oil leake, no smoke, no dents no wobble on then interstate.
The fuel return lines was leaking cause of the age of the rubber, fixed in minits. three upper ball joints and two axle boots need to replace.
This can not be a grad "E" like you and the list from emmando22 decribes.
Or may i misunderstand this. Because... the truck was build in '98 and rebuild in 04/09.
After the rebuild the car goes into the storage.
And in the warehouse nobody knows if the trucks will ever be needed again. And they are not used either. So I do exactly what code "E" says. Everything that is necessary with the least effort.
If it is needed again then you have to go into more detail anyway.

Sounds this logic?
REB. is rebuild date, yours doesn't have one.

There is usually a REC., with the date the item was received by the current unit.
It is, on the side of the truck is a plate with the rbuild informations. IROAN and made in Barstow
PRES. is preservation code, what level of preservation an item has had applied while on a ship. In this case none but maybe intake/exhaust covers, it is ready to drive.
Will this mean this car was outside the us aber the rebuild?

P000 is the location code aboard the ship. According to my son "Only Squids know what that means..." :razz:
As is so often the case in the military. Things are done because they were ordered that way. There is no question about the meaning and later use. :-D

Does your vehicle have a UIC? It will be an M followed by five numbers, example M21640. Usually painted somewhere along the sides, and sometimes on the back.
I have not noticed that before. I'll have a look the days.
What should this number mean?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably 'obsolete' by current standards, just as the deuces were replaced by more modern designs in the US Military, first with the active duty troops for Fiscal Year 2000, then for the National Guard/Reserves in FY 2010. The military does not want to keep parts for obsolete vehicles, so they get rid of everything at the same time. Hope this Helps!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As stated above, the vehicle can be in excellent condition, but of a type being phased out of service, so no expenditure to maintain them is authorized.

When I visited my son's motor pool on Camp Pendleton in 2011, they had several M931A2 tractors that were in beautiful shape, but all were marked CC/F because those type vehicles were being retired, to be replaced by MTVR tractors. In fact, about a month after my visit, he helped haul all those nice M931s to the disposal point to be sold off.
Shortly after that, he transported the LVS trucks he'd used operationally to haul off the M931s, to the disposal point as they themselves were replaced with new LVSRs.

UIC is Unit Identifier Code. It's as close to unit markings as 90% of Marine vehicles get, you will rarely see anything else on USMC vehicles that will identify the unit they belong to, as they like to be anonymous.
The first number often identifies the Marine Division the unit is attached to (1 - 4), but there are lots of exceptions to that.
In the case of the M21640 example I used above (it is painted on the doors of my M813), the unit is the 8th Communications Battalion, assigned to the 2nd Marine Division. Everything that 8th Comm owns that can be marked will have M21640 on it somewhere (vehicles, containers, storage cases, radios, etc).
I have a list of UICs, so if you have one on your vehicle, we can probably figure out which unit owned it.

I didn't explain NSN before. Every item the US military owns has an NSN, which means National Stock Number. It identifies what the item is, in your case an M1123 Humvee, what technical manuals, etc., go with it, and what parts are associated with it.
The initial number indicates the class of item. 2320- indicates that the NSN applies to a motor vehicle, trailer NSNs start with 2330-, and so on.

Most USMC tactical vehicles have been embarked on a ship at some point in their lives, either for overseas deployment or just for exercises.

Cheers

nsn.JPG

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks