• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can i run a 6.2L in the engine can?

5_TON_TOMATOE

Would I need another engine harness, or could I fab one up with just the basics? And, oh yeah, what would be the basics? Glow plugs, injection pump, starter, anything else?

JAsher45

all you would need is a starter.. with a wired switch a12 volt positive switched wire to the injection pump "where the pink wire goes" and fuel can with on line to the lift pump the other line off the fuel return. loop the fuel line where it goes to the fuel filter... plug the oil cooler lines, fill it with oil and fire it up .... as long as the air temp is above 60 degrees you do not need the glow plugs to get it to start.. it may take several attempts to get the air out of the fuel lines

Attachments

maritimer

i would recomend some sort of coolant spply to feed the coolant properly but power to the IP starter and fuel, oil and coolant i can tsee why you couldnt start it. might be a tad loud

5_TON_TOMATOE

Thanks for the info- I've managed to end up with 6 of these things, and I would like to fire the take outs before I sell them. Got an 89' suburban project in mind, swapping in a 6.2 for the gas. I know the trans (700R4) will bolt up, but will it work? Comments?- Thanks

5_TON_TOMATOE

Re: RE: Can i run a 6.2L in the engine can?

maritimer said:
i would recomend some sort of coolant spply to feed the coolant properly but power to the IP starter and fuel, oil and coolant i can tsee why you couldnt start it. might be a tad loud
Yes, It would be different, the engines came with headers of sorts, tubular manifolds. I could easily set up a temp radiator for the run. Thanks

JAsher45

RE: Re: RE: Can i run a 6.2L in the engine can?

one big thing before you even fire them up is to prime the oil system... remove the oil pump drive on ther back of the block and prime the pump... it is a hex drive so a standard SBC oil priming tool wont work... make sure it primes between 50-65 psi

5_TON_TOMATOE

JAsher45 said:
all you would need is a starter.. with a wired switch a12 volt positive switched wire to the injection pump "where the pink wire goes" and fuel can with on line to the lift pump the other line off the fuel return. loop the fuel line where it goes to the fuel filter... plug the oil cooler lines, fill it with oil and fire it up .... as long as the air temp is above 60 degrees you do not need the glow plugs to get it to start.. it may take several attempts to get the air out of the fuel lines
Wow, pictures make this easy to understand. What is that one running? Generator?

JAsher45

if you have ay more questions let me know.... i test 6.5's on a dyno all day... what a great job .. so i know most of what you will be looking at and trouble shooting issues

5_TON_TOMATOE

Re: RE: Re: RE: Can i run a 6.2L in the engine can?

JAsher45 said:
if you have ay more questions let me know.... i test 6.5's on a dyno all day... what a great job .. so i know most of what you will be looking at and trouble shooting issues
Hey, thanks for the help. I now have a mission for the wrecker tomorrow, and get to play with a 6.2.

CCATLETT1984

JAsher45 said:
as long as the air temp is above 60 degrees you do not need the glow plugs to get it to start..
I have yet to see a 6.2 that will start without glow plugs. period... since the glow plugs are not hooked up you could give a small huff of ether to get them started.

5_TON_TOMATOE

Nothing like a "Hospital like setting" for a shop! Most important . If I had no cats, dogs, kids, neighbors, or buddies, I bet I could have a clean shop like that. Probably ain't gonna happen!!!

5_TON_TOMATOE

CCATLETT1984 said:
JAsher45 said:
as long as the air temp is above 60 degrees you do not need the glow plugs to get it to start..
I have yet to see a 6.2 that will start without glow plugs. period... since the glow plugs are not hooked up you could give a small huff of ether to get them started.
Could I give them some voltage if need be?

JAsher45

yes short bumps of 12 volts no more then a good 6 count before cranking the starter in the dyno bay i have only had to hook the GPs up once out of the 800 engines i ran last year

JAsher45

Re: RE: Re: RE: Can i run a 6.2L in the engine can?

5_TON_TOMATOE said:
Nothing like a "Hospital like setting" for a shop! Most important . If I had no cats, dogs, kids, neighbors, or buddies, I bet I could have a clean shop like that. Probably ain't gonna happen!!!
yeah it is nice but let me tell you white painted floors in a dyno are hell to keep clean... oil is not bad put one drop of antifreeze on that floor and grab your ice skates

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Questions, Interjections and Observations. Firstly, the idea of starting an engine in the can (groundhopping) is always a resounding "Yes". I have a question about this though. Has anyone ever seen a 6.2/6.5 mounted in the can with a starter on it? I'm questioning if the starter will clear the mount assy. If it does clear than no problem. I'll know for sure when my canned motors start arriving. I'm no stranger to groundhopping. Mangus has the video of me groundhopping the LDT for my wrecker. If all you want to do is make surre it runs and has oil pressure, I'd not be overly concerned with coolant. It takes a while before these things even get warm. Once the cylinder head gets warm to the touch, it's time to think about killing it. As others have said, DO fill with oil and prime system, DO plug oil cooler bosses, DO run an oil pressure gauge. I'd not be too concerned with the GP system, just give it w whiff of starting fluid (if required) to get her lit. Assuming these are HMMWV engines (most canned ones are) the injection pump requires 24V for operation. This can be changed if your buyer is going to use in a 12V application. Sounds like JAsher has plenty of experience on the dyno with these engines, tap his experience. Here is another free observation though. The dyno room is a clean controlled environment, kinda like the operating room. We (I) work in my yard so I'm not nearly s high tech but am able to at least determine the engine's ability to run and establish oil pressure.