• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can you spin tire?

jimmy-90

Recently I converted my M1028 to a lightweight flat bed that is decked over with wood. I also turned up the fuel delivery screw an 1/8th of a turn with straight through mufflers ect. With about 40psi of air in the 34' super swamper LTB tires I can get mine to do a burn out on the steep part of my paved driveway without power braking. Gotta mention that the flat bed body is so light that I have to use about 40 psi rather than like 55-60 psi that the tires are rated for. It bounces really bad with that much air. Between the extremly light rear end and the fuel turned up it will do a burnout on a paved hill now. Turning the fuel up does wake up the motor a little lol.

Last edited:

DokWatson

i learned long ago spinning tires means junking a vehicle alot sooner my step son just found out that spinning tires in a 4x4 destroys rears trannys and transfercases. i love getting in my " sucky truck" and pulling off while his sits in the driveway lol.
Huh? More like fluids weren't kept up with. Heat is the enemy of everything you listed...not wheel speed.

jimmy-90

When you guys do turn up the fuel, is there any effect on MPG?.
Unfortunately it does. It's not as bad as if you put a small block gas motor in it or anything but I does move the fuel gauge slightly more than it used to at 50 or 55mph. At 25 or 35mph I don't think it effects it though. Anyhow If I had it to do over again I would still do it just because it makes it get up to speed faster when you have to pull out into traffic.

67_C-30

When you guys do turn up the fuel, is there any effect on MPG?.

All things being equal, yes it would effect mileage. However, at least me for me, it runs so much stronger that I find myself not putting my foot in it as much because I don't have to. The truck accellerates and pulls hills so much better that with the fuel turned up that I don't have to "stomp it" to make it go like I do when they are stock.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1028A2 can and does donuts in loose dirt, gravel, slick road (water or ice), snow, etc.

Straight line, I can get a chirp in second. I can squeal rubber around corners every time because of the rear locker.

But like everyone says here, TIRES AIN'T CHEAP. Especially if you replace eight of them that are on the dually (two spares - have yet to get the second spare TIRE, I've had the rim longer than I've had the truck).

I haven't even turned up the IP or fuel delivery OR replaced the injector tips yet.

jimmy-90

Are there any worries with EGT's with a load and a grade to pull?
When I turned mine up I only turned it up a shy 1/8th of a turn and I don't have a pyrometer. I had my father drive it up the street in front of my house and stomp it to the floor a few times to see if any black smoke came out of the pipes. Hardly any at all comes out when you punch it so I figure it's not running too hot at this setting. If I were going to start towing kinda heavy loads around and there were hills I would definately spring for a pyrometer. If you are towing heavy things up the highway it's probly not a bad idea to install a pyrometer with the fuel screw at the stock setting since the EGT's will go up under a strain. Also keep an eye out for black smoke. The short answer to your question is that I don't know for sure but I wouldn't try to tow something heavy without a pyrometer because I do suspect that it might get too hot at 1/8th of a turn.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
maybe you folks can fill me in on WHY there is any relevance what so ever to our hobby and this conversation??? I can spin my Deuce tires on ice, I try hard NOT TO that does not mean good things to me! Mayby I am just missing something here????
KK

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks