• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can you use the Clutch Lever to operate the winch from outside?

pitpawten

NO!

I knew the lever won't disengage under load, however I didn't realize the weight of the cable alone is enough to prohibit disengaging!

I'd finished cleaning and lubing the cable and was winding it neatly. I'd stopped several times without problem, however at the last 2 feet or so the lever would not disengage.

It gobbled the last 2 feet in a blink and then started binding. I dashed to the cab and hit the clutch before any serious damage.

The cable wound up extremely tight digging into itself

20171017_193832.jpg
The clevis end bound between the guard and the gearbox

20171017_193839.jpg

And the chain pulled tightly between the two links

20171017_193845.jpg

Though I was aware enough of the risk to keep myself out of the moving parts, I was dumb enough to try it anyway. Worst (or best) of all I had my 13yo son there and had been giving profuse "safety lessons" the whole time :/ He was not near the winch but hearing the grinding and seeing me running to the cab shook him...as it should have.

We had a good "even dads screw up" talk and post-mortem afterwards and we're thankful no-one was hurt and only minor damage.

Posting this as a "don't risk it" for others who are searching for shortcuts in the future.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting this as a reminder. The winch looks innocent enough, but can become a dangeropus piece of kit very quickly.

Winching with this setup is one of the activities where you should take a second before you start, close your eyes and think through, step by step, how you will react if you had to abort in a hurry. That is especially important when you work ALONE, which is what many of us (have to) do, but operating the mechanical winch safely is really a two person job.

pitpawten

Whats bolted to the left of the winch?
Good eyes :)

That is a mount for the bed crane for lifting from the front bumper, particularly for lifting the heads off easily.

Built by the previous owner a SS member who had a thread on it methinks (kaiserjeeps iirc)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For my trucks I mount a west coast mirror sideways on brackets angled to give me a cab view of the winch as it wraps. I position the truck far enough from the object being winched so I can, when the cable reaches the side of the winch drum, release the brakes and let the winch pull my truck forward, turning the wheels to set the fleet angle so the cable will evenly wind the other way across the drum then hold the brakes again. I also used a license plate light mounted to shine light on the drum for low light and night operations.
Winch Light.jpgWinch Mirror 2.jpgWinch Mirror 3.jpgWinch Mirror.jpg

MikeON

Did anyone ever rig up linkage to the clutch pedal, so you could engage/disengage the engine clutch from the front of the truck?

snowtrac nome

I would get a pneumatic cylinder and rig it up next to the transmission to pull back ,or push the release fork ,than mount a flipper switch up front to control it with air I have several older fuel trucks in the fleet and that is how pto engagement is controlled from the rear of the truck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks