• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canadian Mk l Bren Carrier parts help

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HELP!! Getting the carrier up and running is requiring some parts. FP looses prime, no adjustment on the idle circuit on the carb and the filter is full of.....stuff.

Got the fuel pump part handled, Then and Now put together a nice kit, Got a carb kit on the way from The Carburetor Shop.

One tank had ugly gas in it and the other wasn't too bad. The switching valve was galled up from what looks like debris passing through it. The tanks have been coated sometime in the past. I pulled the pick ups from the tanks and found the issue, the right side tank strainer is in bad shape, covered in the same stuff I found in the filter at the carb and the screen is coming apart, this is most likely the issue that caused the galling in the switching valve and carb issue.

I have searched and come up with nothing on the screens and the valve. I have tried Midwest Military, he sold his stuff. Brian Asbury from Ont Canada, he sold his stuff to a man named Colin Alford also in Ont, Ca. but the e-mail address he provided is invalid.

I THINK the screens are a Ford part, the bottom of the screens have FMCo 41, which I think is Ford Mo. Co, 1941 and a p/n TL2834 stamped on the brass end. I am sure that I can repair the valve, but the screens are a must.

Any one have a lead on where the screens might be found? I have not tried over seas yet. I do not know if they are the same as an Aussie carrier or the T16.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
give an idea of what it looks like or a photo of remnants
Exact where was it in the system?
Probable dimensions?
a fuel screen could look like this one
screen 64-24747.jpg

or this
40 mesh strainer 81PqzB5aMFL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Last edited:

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No good pic, It was pouring and I left early. They are mounted on the pick up tubes in both tanks, apx 1/2 diameter hole in the brass ends, the pick up tube runs through the screen. Held on the pick up by a cotter pin. They are apx 3 inches tall x 1 1/4 in diameter.

I'll see if Craig can take a pic and send it to me.

CMPPhil

Hi Will

You mentioned the valve unit was messed up, if it is like the tank selector used on Canadian Military Pattern trucks it is located on the suction side of the pump as so it is a source for air leak. I've had fuel starvation problems on my CMPs were the valve tapered leak air in causing the pump to loose prime or pump air and gas.

From some of the names you mention I suspect that you are also following Carriers over on MLU http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php if not you may find it a useful information source.

Cheers Phil

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a member there, I will give that site a try. The switching valve is indeed on the suction side, mounted on the bellhousing. Took it apart and found that the tapered valve is a tad scored and the top seal is almost non existent. I believe I can repair the valve. Worst case for the strainers is a sheet of screen from McMaster and make new ones. These will be easier to fab than the inlet screen on the aircraft Stromberg carb on the M7. Ended up using a Y strainer on that.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, unless someone has NOS stuff, Mc master and solder will be my friend

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks