• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canadian "Pre-CUCV" Chevy

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
for the boys down south the movie truck is a 76 5/4 CDN , with bubba movie mods ie. brush guard , role bar , wheels and tires , original tires are the Goodyear 16.5 M&S , made the trucks very noisey and thirsty, Goodyear stopped production of this tire during the Trucks military service life,

M1031CMT

BTW, here is the service/overhaul manual for the 1976 Chevrolet trucks in a PDF. Also known as the FSM (Factory Service Manual).

It is not the military manual, but it covers just about everything you need to fix up one of these trucks, so I doubt most people really care. As the only real difference between the military truck and civilian truck is the 24v system and the light switch on the dash.

Hope it helps anyone trying to fix up one of these trucks. Same manual all those places online are trying to sell for $20, but you get it for free since I would rather help people out then make a few bucks ;-)

Enjoy.

View attachment ST_330_76_1976_Chevrolet_Light_Truck_Service_Overhaul_Supplement.pdf

Babs

Here are some photo's of my 1976 Chevrolet CUCV, as you can see I have replaced the fenders and hood !!
1 MLT.jpg2 MLT.jpg3 MLT.jpg 5 MLT.jpg4 MLT.jpg6 MLT.jpg

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice original truck for Ontario , looks like the CFR# on the front bumper , have you done a search on the truck's unit service life? if you need paint codes let me know , did you take photos before you installed the new fenders?

Babs

Hello eme411, I have not done any search on the truck's unit service life, but if you have the paint codes for it, I would sure make use of them, thank you !!
The fenders and hood were in bad shape and I do have photos somewhere before they were replaced. The frame is in excellent condition and has only some minor rust on it, no holes.
This truck runs very good and I use it for plowing my driveway in the winter. I like to keep it as original as possible, fun truck to drive.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Does anyone know for certain the gear ratio, and if there is a locker in the rear axle on these trucks? I've got 2 of them, but they are in a trailer in crates so it would be difficult to check without removing them from the trailer, and then the crates.

Also, has anyone ever seen one with a security cage like pictured? I've found pictures of them on a bunch of other Canadian vehicles, but none on pickups.

Finally, has anyone found an online version of the operator's or any other manual for these trucks, or know of a source to buy a paper copy?

Attachments

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
two of the 5/4's we have at the museum have the security cage , they are made of aluminum , they were very common on the 5/4's , the security cages were also fitted to some of the M-101 trailers , I have one of these , helps the tarps last for a very long time, the cage was one of those items that went into the bushes when the civy's bought them, they also did not help with the already poor fuel mileage, where did you pick-up the photo?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
two of the 5/4's we have at the museum have the security cage , they are made of aluminum , they were very common on the 5/4's , the security cages were also fitted to some of the M-101 trailers , I have one of these , helps the tarps last for a very long time, the cage was one of those items that went into the bushes when the civy's bought them, they also did not help with the already poor fuel mileage, where did you pick-up the photo?
Thanks for the info Frank. Could you get me some pictures of the cages on the 5/4s, and how they mount, etc.? It would be much appreciated. The cage in the photo is mine, it looks like it would be about perfect on a 3/4 ton trailer, maybe a bit short for a pickup bed (not by much though).

M1031CMT

Here are some with the cages on them. Sadly the only pics I have are the trucks that also have the tarps over the cages.

As eme411 stated, this was very common for the trucks. There is actually a cage for these for sale on kijiji in Ontario last I looked.

lv_10a-gagetown_aug_08_293.jpglv_10b-gagetown_aug_08_122.jpg
lv_10c-gagetown_aug_08_135.jpglv_10d-gagetown_aug_08_133.jpg
lv_10e-gagetown_aug_08_129.jpglv_10f-gagetown_aug_08_127.jpg
lv_10g-gagetown_aug_08_123.jpg5Quad.jpg

M1031CMT

We also have the support/cable layer slide in unit for the 5/4's. It is made to hold equipment as well as radios and 1-2 people (who can ride in it while the truck is moving since it has seat belts), but for the life of me I can't find the pictures I took of it.

I will try and get some pics of it when I get back up to the farm, likely this weekend. It is currently installed in the M1008.

Edit: I actually found a picture of the slide in unit online as a fluke (I had never found a picture of one in use before). It looks like the truck was being used in Europe at the time the picture was taken.

5_4ton_slide_in.jpg

Last edited:

M1031CMT

Does anyone know for certain the gear ratio, and if there is a locker in the rear axle on these trucks? I've got 2 of them, but they are in a trailer in crates so it would be difficult to check without removing them from the trailer, and then the crates.
This is the info I got from another forum on the 5/4ton axles:

The Cdn gas 5/4 ton had two variations of the front axle, and the back axle was virtually identical to the CUCV back axle, except that the CUCV had posi which the gas version did not. As well the CUCV had metric wheel cylinders.

The two variations to the gas front axle were based on production dates. Both were dana 44. The early 5/4 ton had smaller diameter front axle housings. and could be ID'd by the flat hub cap. Most of the production, however, was the later style with the little "hat" style hub cap and thicker diameter tubes. Both were too light for the vehicle, and a truss was later supplied to help support the axles.

1976Chevy

does any body know were I can get the throttle control lock under the dash I'm missing mine guess the guy how had it before me took it off. it would be nice to put one back in it. thanks in advance

M1031CMT

Finally got around to taking a few pictures of that slide-in for the cable layer.

It is currently sitting in the M1008.

We do not have the spool that originally comes with it. But one could easily be made if needed.

slide_in1.jpg slide_in2.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks