• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cannibalizing lesser vehicles

Snarky

Has anyone here actually taken the more modern diesel and/or auto tranny from a school bus and integrated it into a deuce?

As much as I love my deuce I'm always trying to find ways to make driving it less miserable. I would think that the brake system, the auto tranny, the engine, the powersteering, and more could all make good potential meals for improving upon the wonderful 6x6 heavy duty deuce chassis.

I think that given how much heavier a long, enclosed school bus is, the deuce would benefit from the power boost the engine could it provide as well as other comforts, like eliminating shifting, or adding a/c.

This epay bus has A/C 1988 Ford Amtran Great Used School Bus with A/C:eBay Motors (item 290345905849 end time Sep-12-09 06:58:48 PDT)

This one 1992 International School Bus - Diesel:eBay Motors (item 250493402852 end time Sep-14-09 06:00:00 PDT) is an international.

For the price one would think the component would be worth it.

russ81

There was a guy on here a while back that installed a Cat 3208, which is a common enough engine to find. I think that would be a great addition to the deuce especially if a turbo, or even twins, were added.

ETHOS

That gets you super singles, CTIS, an ugly, ugly front end, and an engine that's really not all that powerful.

not powerful, and from what i hear not all that reliable, nor can it use alternative fuels..... this will become more important as the fuel prices rise

i have considered adding the 5 ton multifuel, and 5 ton axles for better brakes.... but i dunno

stumps

Power steering would be nice, I suppose, but the biggest handicap towards the deuce being a good highway machine is the high ratio differentials. Go ahead and put a bigger diesel in the deuce, but you will still wind it out trying to go above 55MPH.

I would think an essential change, to go along with a bigger engine, would be a taller overdrive 5th gear.

And even if you put in a taller overdrive 5th gear, you will still make the differentials sing their hearts out at speeds above 50MPH.

-Chuck

Snarky

My deuce already does 60 (gps calculated), with bigger tires and an taller OD gear, I don't need more than that, I just need it to not be at 2500 rpms

stumps

My deuce already does 60 (gps calculated), with bigger tires and an taller OD gear, I don't need more than that, I just need it to not be at 2500 rpms
Okay, here are a few things that won't help you achieve your goal:

1) a new engine of any type.
2) an automatic transmission of any type.
3) fuzzy dice hanging from your wiper motor.

And a few things that will do that for you:

1) differentials with a lower ratio than 6.<mumble, mumble> to 1
2) transmission with a taller overdrive gear.
3) larger tires.

There is a limit to what you can expect from an overdrive gear. They generally are picked to be about 0.7 or 0.8 to 1. And they generally fit the ratio spacing between the regular gears in the transmission.

Tire size is limited by your vehicle size, and your brake capacity... the bigger your tires, the more brake pressure you need to stop the truck.

The deuce was geared to be a tremendous off road puller. The gearing that did that for the deuce was in the differentials (and the Hi/Low transfer case). The transmission is just an off the shelf 5-speed.

Your engine rpm at any given road speed is fixed by the gearing of your truck, and the wheel diameter.

-Chuck

EO2NMCB

Maybe its just me. But a M35 is what it is, I love my LD465 non turbo.(don't want to go over 55mph in it) It does a great job. Why not get a 500hp cat or det in a 6x6 kenworth, freightliner or PB for your speed and braking .:roll: I don't mean to offend anyone, it just seems everybody wants to make it something its not or was ever ment to be.

Last edited:

Snarky

Okay, I've had to write this over 3 different times. Please nobody be offended by the post, but I feel like the majority of the people who have posted have kind of missed the point and the opening post. I'm going to reply to the post from most recent to oldest.

Maybe its just me. But a M35 is what it is, I love my LD465 non turbo.(don't want to go over 55mph in it) It does a great job. Why not get a 500hp cat or det in a 6x6 kenworth, freightliner or PB for your speed and braking .:roll: I don't mean to offend anyone, it just seems everybody wants to make it something its not or was ever ment to be.
This is the Deuce Modification and Hot-Rodding forum. I don't want to make you mad or anything, but thats kind of the point of this section of the website. I don't think I even said I wanted to make a 500 horsepower deuce, I asked if any one has used easily available surplus vehicles like school bus, to improve the deuce. Yes the deuce is good at going any where, however, it's sometimes hard to stop. Do you think it's unreasonable for someone to want to install a dual circuit brake system? School buses have the parts, and a lot are hydraulic and stop on a dime, despite weighing more with a full metal cabin.

Okay, here are a few things that won't help you achieve your goal:

1) a new engine of any type.
2) an automatic transmission of any type.
3) fuzzy dice hanging from your wiper motor.

And a few things that will do that for you:

1) differentials with a lower ratio than 6.<mumble, mumble> to 1
2) transmission with a taller overdrive gear.
3) larger tires.

There is a limit to what you can expect from an overdrive gear. They generally are picked to be about 0.7 or 0.8 to 1. And they generally fit the ratio spacing between the regular gears in the transmission.

Tire size is limited by your vehicle size, and your brake capacity... the bigger your tires, the more brake pressure you need to stop the truck.

The deuce was geared to be a tremendous off road puller. The gearing that did that for the deuce was in the differentials (and the Hi/Low transfer case). The transmission is just an off the shelf 5-speed.

Your engine rpm at any given road speed is fixed by the gearing of your truck, and the wheel diameter.

-Chuck
Regearing would be nice. However my experience with regearing, is that, if you can find the gears chances are the costs and labor of it are so high, that you could and should have probably spent the money on something else. I think that if I was truely worried about speed, it would be a good idea, I just want to make my vehicle more comfortable to drive. More comfortable to me might mean an engine that doesn't have a cast iron crankshaft that runs the chance of shattering past 2500 rpms.

Power steering would be nice, I suppose, but the biggest handicap towards the deuce being a good highway machine is the high ratio differentials. Go ahead and put a bigger diesel in the deuce, but you will still wind it out trying to go above 55MPH.

I would think an essential change, to go along with a bigger engine, would be a taller overdrive 5th gear.

And even if you put in a taller overdrive 5th gear, you will still make the differentials sing their hearts out at speeds above 50MPH.

-Chuck
You don't need powersteering for driving, but it should helps of you need to park. I actually think the diesel in school buses may be slightly smaller than the deuces. It's usually a 7.2L International. Not a great engine, but easy to find parts for. Also higher revving.

not powerful, and from what i hear not all that reliable, nor can it use alternative fuels..... this will become more important as the fuel prices rise

i have considered adding the 5 ton multifuel, and 5 ton axles for better brakes.... but i dunno
That gets you super singles, CTIS, an ugly, ugly front end, and an engine that's really not all that powerful.
Sounds like an interesting project. Personally, I would save the money in converting an A2 and buy an M35A3 instead.
I know that some people swear by the M35A3. I don't feel like because it happens to have a yellow engine in it that, that engine is made of gold. Why are they priced so high? You get a less useful engine, a strange front end with more venerable headlights, a slightly better braking system, auto tranny, supersingles that you could have on an A2. At anyrate it's not with 10-15k, and it's also another point i wanted to make.

CHEAP MODIFICATIONS. Why would you spend big money on a A2. I was talking about spending 1200$ max on parts. I don't know the cost of regearing, but I know it usually requires an expert and 500$ for a small vehicle, I imagine gears may have to be custom made for the deuce, and they probably don't have the same close tolerances but are still harder to work with. I imagine it's still at least 500 per axle, you can go have fun on GL for that 1500$, and maybe get a 5 ton.

Anyways, I hope nobody gets hurt feelings, I was just saying my take on it, as constructive as possible. I just felt that given the availability of surplus civilian diesels, it was likely that someone had experimented before, but I guess not.

Thanks.

Oh btw, you can have the biggest, newest, chromest, 150,000$+ civilian 18-wheeler imaginable, and I still don't think it's as cool as the Deuce. Sorry... :( Although...Western Stars..... hmmm...

1qwkgoat

What I would like to do(probably not anytime soon) to my deuce, or a 818 if I get one. Use a more powerful newer diesel engine(or possilby a 250 cummins with turbo added) coupled with a over the road semi's 10-13 speed tranny. I'm not sure what the gear ratios are in those trannies, still need to look into that. I'm not looking to go any faster then 60mph, I however want the motor to be at a much lower rpm at that speed. I'm also not sure if the 10-13sp trans are short enough, I want to keep the transfer case, to power the front axle, and also give the truck a ultra low range when coupled with the new trans.

Does anybody know the typical axle gear ratio for a semi, and also the typical tire height. From there one could figure out if/how much they would need to change the deuces axle gearing.

I'd love to have a 818 that I could take off road like anyother 818. Yet have a second set of wheels with highway tires mounted and use it and a trailer to make out of state recoveries with. Be able to cruise 55-60 at a low and more fuel efficient rpm. Also be able to maintain that speed up a grade with a load on. Thats what I'm focusing my plan around.

Last edited:

EO2NMCB

1qwkgoat, typical rear's in a semi (company truck) are 3.55's, 22.5 low rpo tires and a 10 spd. My truck has 3.36's you lose a little in the pulls, 24.5 low pro tires and 13 spd trans. Have only ever had the truck up to 90mph(praying I didn't blow a steer tire), but on paper should run out at 104mph at 2100 rpm. Out in the western states were speed limit is 75mph, 75mph=1575 rpm

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Canada runs the 8.2L Detroit,(3800 red line I hear), and Allison MT-643 transmissions in ther deuce's. Maybe someone from north of the border will chime in as to this combination's performance.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jones

I put a Cummins 5.9 turbo diesel and Allison AT545N in my deuce framed baby HEMTT project.
If you can get over the Cummins' smaller physical size, you've got an engine with more horsepower and torque than the original multi-fueler.
I'm pretty sure it was FMJ who posted some pictures of an M35 with a very clean Cummins installation.

Watch going too far in the overdrive direction. A gear ratio that's too tall may end up giving you a vehicle that'll go faster in 4th than it will in 5th.

spicergear

Don't forget to consider front tire weight ratings and big inch diesel engine redline's too. Stock 900x 20's get you 8,000 lbs for the front axle. Guess what? My 1160 V8 CAT and front winch have 8,000 lbs on my front axle. A3 wheels and different tires got me out of that bind.

Lets talk rpm now. So you have 2,800rpm on the multifuel and the .79 (iirc) overdrive.
6.72's, 40" tire, 60mph, .79 OD = 2,676rpm.

Now you've got a big diesel with a 2,100rpm redline and a road ranger with an RTO12513 behind it.
6.72's, 40" tire, 51mph, .73 OD = 2,100rpm. Uh oh...wrong way.

Now do a head gear flop and make is a poor mans RTOO (double over) and you end up around a .60:1.
6.72's, 40" tire, 62mph, .60 OD = 2,100rpm. Big change again.

6.72's, 46" tire, 62mph .60 OD = 1,826rpm. Better...

6.72's, 48" tire, 62mph .60 OD = 1,750rpm. Better...

6.72's, 52" tire, 62mph .60 OD = 1,615rpm. Hmmm...

But, all this heavy crap is better suited for a 5 ton-

6.44's, 52" tire, 62mph .60 OD = 1,548rpm. Happy-

You gotta go big tires or different axles or just be happy driving around your vehicle that was meant to be disposable or blown up or buried or destroyed or hurt your kidneys...etc- :-D

Calculations done from the calculator section on Randy's Ring and Pinion site-

nhdiesel

Snarky, I got some of the same kind of responses you did when I asked about an aux. overdrive trans in a Deuce. Usually from people who most likely are scared to alter ANYTHING that was designed by an engineer, probably scared to put aluminum wheels on a car because it didn't come that way from the factory. Anything purchased off the shelf was designed to have a broad range of uses, and the design is usually a compramise between those uses. But if the item (in this case a Deuce) will be used by its new owner to do ONE thing more than others, then it can usually be altered to do that thing better, usually at the cost of doing something else less effectively.

With the Deuce, it was designed to be a rock-solid brute, able to be driven by anyone, even without truck driving experience. Thats one reason they lack power- less power makes it tougher to break something if you abuse it. On the other hand, more power can be very useful, and can work with the rest of the truck if you drive it properly.

The gearing of the truck is another example. These were designed to be able to pull large loads over all terrains, which is where very low gearing comes in. But with a more powerful engine, you can get away with higher gearing. Or you can use taller gearing with the stock multifuel if you won't be hauling extremely heavy loads or going off road as much as the truck was intended to do.

I also got responses about a Deuce not being designed to do extremely high speeds. I think we all know that, and there is a difference between trying to raise the top speed a large amount, vs. just trying to comfortably do 60 mph without the engine running on the govornor.

O.K., engine options. The Intl. 7.3 engines aren't very powerful, although the later electronic ones can be programmed to perform fairly well. They are also quite complex compared to a Cummins or other more commercial mechanical engine. For the best balance of power, economy, and strength in a small package that fits a Deuce nicely, go with the 5.9 Cummins. In stock form they work very well, and its very easy to increase power for just a few bucks. A $100 fuel plate will really wake the 12v. Cummins up, and still be extremely reliable. You can find the Cummins with Allison in some school busses. Byut be aware, putting an auto behind a diesel really kills the available low end torque (although an Allison is the best of the autos). Depending on the model of Allison, many in school busses didn't have overdrive, which would really kill your top speed. And as was said by others, engine choice won't increase your top speed, unless you use a high-revving engine, which I would advise against.

I think a good recipe for a more street-worthy Deuce would be a 5.9 Cummins with a fuel plate to bring the torque up around 500-600 lbs., either the stock Spicer trans or a medium duty truck's manual trans with a better overdrive (if available), and an aux. trans between the transmission and t-case. Put on 1100 rubber and you'll be cruising at 60-65 all day long (or as long as you can stand the stock seat) and still keep the off road ability. Swap in power steering and dual circuit brakes and you will have a nice, safe truck.

When I get my own personal Deuce eventually, I plan to keep the multifuel, and just up the gearing slightly. I know I'll lose a bit when I'm fully loaded, but the 3053a likes running in 4th better with a load anyway (for lifespan of the trans) so I don't see a loss there. I already have a 3-speed Spicer box (underdrive, direct, and overdrive) to try to squeeze in there somewhere. Along with power steering and possibly bobbing it (although I think I have enough uses for a fully rated stock-size Deuce to keep all the axles), thats about all I have interest in modifying on it.

Wow, this turned out longer than I intended...oh well, maybe someone will find it useful.

Jim

m109guy

Canada run the 8.2L Detroit and Allison MT-643 transmissions in ther deuce's. Maybe someone from north of the border will chime in as to this combination's performance.
Hey those pictures look familiar. Looks like you got them from a good website :D

The 8.2L DD with the Allison MT-643 automatic transmission work very well in the MLVW's (Canadian M35). The thing we really love about the MLVW is that you just jump in, press the button and it starts the first time, every time and just purrs.

Though you have to realize that the 8.2L DD doesn't have much more HP than the multi-fuel. It was designed for torque, not racing down the road. And just like the M35, the MLVW diff's are geared low which limit how fast the truck can go. But all the MLVW's also come with super-singles as standard, which make it easier to get into the 60-65Mph range.

But other than that it is great engine. Much quieter than the multi-fuel, and the added automatic transmission and power steering greatly reduce the wear and tear on the operator. There is a huge difference when you compare the comfort for the driver. Plus you would like that the MLVW has a lot more room between the steering wheel and your chest. Which is nice after having eating a big bowl of chili :D

I do like the multi-fuel though. It is a good engine to have in the zombie apocalypse when you might not have diesel sitting around. Yes I did have to mention the zombies ;)

If the multi-fuel ever dies or has major problems in the M109A3, I will very likely pull it out and pop in the 8.2L DD with the Allison. For the price I can pick one up for, it is worth the effort swapping it out.

stumps

Jim,

The thing that needs to be said (and I think based on some of the comments I have seen on this board, needs to be said over and over again), is the speed your truck will go at a certain engine RPM is determined by the ratio of your gears... all of the gears... and the size of your tires.

Plunking a bigger engine into a deuce isn't going to change the speed your truck goes at 2600 RPM one bit.

Going to a lighter higher speed engine, and traveling boldly into the engine RPM's over 2600 is going to cause serious heating in your transmission and differential gear boxes. They are already being run over speed at 2600 RPM in 5th.... for a clue about that, just listen to them whine! The gears are trying to tell you something.

Be a little wary of putting on bigger tires. Bigger tires reduce the braking capability of your truck by the ratio of the diameter of the original tire to the diameter of the bigger tire. Certainly there is some overcapacity designed into the brakes, but not much. If you are running fully loaded, and heading 55MPH down a long mountain road, you are going to feel the brakes are barely big enough even with the original sized tires.

Adding a dual master cylinder would be a very good idea... but it only makes a difference if a brake line bursts. The peace of mind such a system can bring can be very comforting. It may not stop your truck though.... I have had a front line blow on a dual master cylinder system, and the truck (F250) would barely stop with me standing on the pedal. As far as I could tell (from some experiments I did later), the emergency brake worked about as well.

As to bowing to the sacred engineers that designed the truck.. We all probably ought to. They did a good job, over all. If they hadn't, we wouldn't be in love with these marvelous beasts.

If you are going to make a change to a major system, and you can't calculate what the effect will be, you probably should leave it the way it was. If you can (calculate what the effect will be), and you understand what the numbers are telling you, then by all means, full steam ahead!

-Chuck

tm america

almost any deisel engine swap is an improvement as long as it revs higher. since what it takes to make an engine a multifuel is a big power killer.if you are planning on running bigger tires or a higher od you need to make sure you have the hp and torque to pull it . the deuce isnt just limited by ratio it is limited by power to . it simply doesnt have the hp or torque to overcome the wind or hills at higher speeds and relies on the ratio just to keep things moving.if and when i swap my motor out it will be getting a cummins since it it lighter has more hp and torque .three improvements at one time and only one down fall loosing the multifuel ability of the truck but it will get better mpgs so that wont matter as much anyway:roll:and you guys that are against modding a deuce just stay on the deuce forum and save yourself a heartache reading the hotrod and mod forum

nhdiesel

Stumps, if you reread my post, you'll see that I agree with just about everything you said. Yes, the engineers did a great job of designing a great truck. But compromises had to be made to make it work well in all areas it was designed for. Change the use of the vehicle outside of what it was designed for, and you'll start noticing shortcomings (no fault of the engineers, just the owner of the truck).

And I did point out that GEARING is the only way to go faster (besides a faster turning engine, and I don't like the higher revving diesels), but only as long as the engine can handle it. The thing that needs to be decided is WHERE to make the change. Regearing the diffs will make you go faster, but its a permanent change- it changes every gear, both low range and high. But it slows the driveshaft down, which is a good thing. For just a small inchease in road speed, I think the best bang for the buck is either a transmission replacement to something with a taller overdrive, or adding an aux. transmission (but that takes room, and there is very little to spare under a Deuce!)

Brakes: I'm not one of the guys who suggests going to HUGE rubber. If you look, I suggested 1100 series, which is what the military went to for the A3s. I'm sure the brakes will handle those just fine. To increase braking EFFICIENCY, try swapping to dual master cylinders. Its been done on race cars and other types of vehicles, as long as you can find room for them, they should work well for a Deuce. There also may be options for larger wheel cylinders (a popular swap for 90's Dodge Rams is swapping to larger GM wheel cylinders...much better braking!) I haven't looked at a Deuce's wheel cylinder to see if anything else would work, its just a thought.

I really think lowering the RPMs off the govornor would be a big help for the life of the engine, as well as increase the fuel mileage. I know with my '96 Cummins, I can get around 23+ mpg with my Ram running at 1700 rpms. Increase that to 2200 and I drop to around 17 mpg. I lost 3 mpg on the highway (running at 70) just by swapping from 3.54 to 3.73 gears when I replaced my axles. I know, a Deuce is no economy car...but if you can gain a mpg or two as a side benefit, it would be great!

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks