• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can't figure out why it won't start

anjay22

Dang it, where can I get a button and clip. I need to get my big girl running. It's driving me crazy!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

DavidWymore

Went thru the same thing. This is why I keep posting everywhere that the plunger needs to move a good 3/8", not 1/8" or 1/4". It's not just whether it moves or not.

I'm in process of producing stronger, heavier duty clips, but still developing them, sorry!

DavidWymore

I would think the inside concave surface of the button needs to be perfectly smooth and polished, as well as the convex end of the plunger, and they need to match. If it's not scratched or cracked, I'd keep it.

Then again, the pic Floridian posted looks rough and dimpled on the inside, as if it was made that way, or maybe debris got in there and damaged it.

anjay22

More than likely the damaged one was mine. I am thinking about getting a new one and using lapping compound to match with the rod. I will look at it more when I get home

anjay22

Well, I got the hh ready to go and I tried to put it back in but no success and I have about a 1/4 inch gap on the base. I lined the red line up to the fuel shutoff marker, but I think this is getting in the way. .

dmetalmiki

We tried lining up the red/mark to the line, No go. Simply turned the engine pulley back and forth a LITTLE until (and it (the H.H.did)) pop back in place. Also we had no start with one N.O.S. Hydraulic head, and two! spare 'others'. although they presented as working as yours appears to. The fourth one from a 'scrap' engine fired right up. Beats me.

anjay22

Well, I got it in because I left off the smaller o ring. I am guessing the o rings are preventing it from going in. I took the hh back out and I lubed them up with oil and still nothing and I don't want to force it. Any suggestions?

dmetalmiki

Are trying to refit the actual hydraulic head unit?, As said, I could not get it seated in until we 'jiggled' the front pulley with a socket. And then the " timing marks" were not quite lined up, and from from I read they are not supposed to!. (ridiculous! why are they not marked accordingly when in the correct position with pump/engine timing). Yet Again..beats me. Seems the timing when right is one tooth off!. (the red line to mark on casting) read up posts on this. (fitting the hydraulic head).

anjay22

The funny thing is, I forgot to put the smaller o ring on. With a little living, she went in. I just needed to crank her down a little too clear up the larger o ring when I put the nuts back on.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That pic is your quill gear. You should turn the inj pump till the full arc is showing, that will allow your hyd head to sit down in its hole.

anjay22

That pic is your quill gear. You should turn the inj pump till the full arc is showing, that will allow your hyd head to sit down in its hole.
Thank you gimp, but does that have anything to do with the timing on the pump itself? Or do I just turn it so the hh will go back in?

mmeridith

Yes, it is part of the timing. Easy way to turn it I found is to jack up the driver side rear tires, trans in fifth and big pipe wrench on the drive shaft. My 13 yo son was under the truck turning the shaft & I was watching for the half moon cutout on the quill shaft. And you are going to need to use both o-rings or the fuel will dump into the crankcase.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rustystud

Are trying to refit the actual hydraulic head unit?, As said, I could not get it seated in until we 'jiggled' the front pulley with a socket. And then the " timing marks" were not quite lined up, and from from I read they are not supposed to!. (ridiculous! why are they not marked accordingly when in the correct position with pump/engine timing). Yet Again..beats me. Seems the timing when right is one tooth off!. (the red line to mark on casting) read up posts on this. (fitting the hydraulic head).
Actually the red mark will align actually where it is suppose to. It is the spring pushing on the piston that causes the red mark to "fly" by the other mark. If you where to leave out the piston spring you would see what I mean. Of course it would not work if you did that :wink: .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks