• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Capability vs. Vulnerability & Sophistication vs. Complexity

Cucvnut

I built my truck to wheel, it being a MV was a total after thought. I wanted a 1 ton k30 with a dana 60 and a rear locker in the 14 bolt and well the M1008 had all that so i bought one.

chevyCUCV

My truck is being updated to my uses. However its whole life has been updates and transfers from one "owner" to the next( army, us forestry, beverly fd)

It has some add on wiring from me(trailer+elec fuel pump)

Came with a radio(and holes in every interior panel) Radio is inop though.

I will continue to adjust the truck to my needs. Biggest one right now is an overdrive

Shrapnel

Just a Hoosier stuck out west!
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't afford to "restore" anything and don't really own anything that is "stock".

My M1028 was the cheapest way to buy a truck that didn't need many upgrades to go wheeling. To date the only mods I've done are to lift the front 1" with DIY4x's EZ-inch to space the front axle for my 9.00-16 superlugs (with minor trim at the very front of the front fenders). I guess I also ditched the front swaybar.

These trucks are a great value for any budget-minded wheeler / gearhead. I've wheeled the snot out of it and I haven't broken anything. It's been crazy dependable and capable. I'll mod it more as time goes on, but that's what gearheads do. Tinkering with my ride is irresistible to me and always will be.

Attachments

86M10086.2L

Of the two CUCV's I have owned, both a M1008 and my current M1009. Neither remained stock. However 95% of the modifications were or are reversible. For the very reason that although they are not super rare or valuable today. Someday they will be. I can swap out lift kits, axles and such. Re-paint or refurbish. But all the other wheeling/camping/hunting/bug out rigs out there will never be a CUCV no matter how radical I modify my truck. Or how much they modify theirs to the contrary. I pick up missing military parts here or there for the truck. Because someday I may want a factory fresh M1009. Or the person I sell it to may want that. But I neither look down upon those who modify or entertain those that shun we who do. Not every truck is a restoration candidate. And despite how rare anything is or becomes. There's always one that ges stripped for the sake of others. Or made into a hot rod. The key being, the intelligent modifier or builder salvages original pieces for those who want or need them. I say do what you want. Practicality is a matter or opinion, originality is for those who want it. All my trucks will always look like military vehicles. No matter how far they may stray from the path. Because thats what I wanted. If I didn't, I would have started with a civilian truck. And if you don't like it, don't look. It's that simple. Goodnight all

Well, my 09 has been heavliy modified in the 3 years, i have had it, I do believe in keeping with the original theme "per say" as it was built and intended for, and basically have added, modifed, made certain upgrades, That i personally feel they shouldve been there from the begining in 1984.

Here is a list of my mods... Everything that was done has a purpose to, IMHO to make it better for various environments and to correct short comings/poor design that i have come across on and off road

6.2L ( Original 24volt system intact and working correctly)
400turbo to be changed....
203/205 Doubler ( 205- twined Stick with ORD hardware ) Increase offroad gearing/ options
Custom 1350 Double cardan 8"Slip Driveshafts F/R Plus a complete Spare
ORD 4"lift with Stock boneyard 52" in front and rear ( VERY FLEXY ) too help in suspension articulation
ORD High Steer/Crossover w new HD rods to improve factory configuration
Redneck ram hydro assist to improve factory configuration
ORD Steering brace /and frame kit to add Strength
PS cooler w elect fan to improve factory configuration
F250 shocks f/r with custom Front mounts
Dual custom battery tray with new batteries
new/Used exhaust ( reused factory 3 1\2" exhaust from my 01 Duramax )
14bolt 456 with Dlocker
D60 456 with Elocker
3/8" Diff covers F/R Added protection
12,000lb winch
H1 Wheels Recentered /w rock rings, pvc inserts and a set of 37" BFG Baja TA plus a 5th spare Added clearance and durability
Custom front bumper
Custom transcase mount to increase protection and strength
Rock lights, Fog lights, Zombie ( aircraft landing ) Lights, IR light, Working BO lights
Powered Front seats and console from late model Tahoe Will be adding new sport seats to front and relocating the Tahoe seats to the rear on the original rear seat frame ( when i source one from boneyard- Not going to destroy my rear seat) and add grab handles... I have recently learned, the rear bench seat is not that suited for comfort off roading..
New Stereo iPod, MP3
Custom over head visor shelf and modified, high powered CB
AutoMeter gauges- Air Press, Oil pres, oil temp, water temp, trans temp, Tach ( Boost and Pyro to be installed )
Custom Switch Panel
Dash and door panels recently Dyed Black, and new door weather stripping
20% Window tint
Solargizer
Doghead mod
Electric fuel Pump
Mighty Max Pioneer kit
60" Highlift
Unity Spotlight
Custom Rock Sliders - ( tubes by Shankem -Deep )
Dual 350cc Viair Onboard Air system, custom installed with air tank and outlets at front bumper, rear wheel well and in rear by tailgate.
Quick paint job using numerous cans of Krylon camo and going by TM's for camo pattern

TO DO LIST
Turbo ( 6.5L already have 99% of parts ) just for the added torque and WOW factor

Doing 4L80 .... to add a true fourth gear for extended highway use with current setup

Rear bumper build ( to match front and Sliders )

Rear Disc Conversion to loose some weight and increase braking

sliding tray for equipment in rear to gain easier access to items/equipment in rear compartment

extensive body work

A/C for comfort

Rollcage added Safety

Add a Scanner and CB linear simple upgrade for communications

This is a certainly good thread... and wanted to just add my 2cents

Last edited:

Crewdawg141

Well, mine has been heavliy modified in the 3 years, i have had it, I do believe in keeping with the original theme "per say" as it was built and intended for, and basically have added, modifed, made certain upgrades, That i personally feel they shouldve been there from the begining in 1984.

Here is a list of my mods... Everything that was done has a purpose to, IMHO to make it better for various environments on and off road

6.2L ( Original 24volt system intact and working correctly)
400turbo to be changed....
203/205 Doubler ( 205- twined Stick with ORD hardware ) Increase offroad gearing/ options
Custom 1350 Double cardan 8"Slip Driveshafts F/R Plus a complete Spare
ORD 4"lift with Stock boneyard 52" in front and rear ( VERY FLEXY ) too help in suspension articulation
ORD High Steer/Crossover w new HD rods to improve factory configuration
PS cooler w elect fan to improve factory configuration
F250 shocks f/r
Dual custom battery tray with new batteries
new/Used exhaust ( reused factory 3 1.2" exhaust from my 01 Duramax )
14bolt 456 with Dlocker
D60 456 with Elocker
3/8" Diff covers F/R Added protection
12,000lb winch
H1 Wheels Recentered /w rock rings, pvc inserts and a set of 37" BFG Baja TA plus a 5th spare Added Clearance and durbility
Custom front bumper
Custom transcase mount to increase protection and Strength
Rock lights, Fog lights, Zombie ( aircraft landing ) Lights, IR light, Working BO lights
Powered Front seats and console from late model Tahoe
Stereo/CD,iPod, MP3,CB,
AutoMeter gauges- Air Press, Oil pres, oil temp, water temp, trans temp, Tach ( Boost and Pyro to be installed )
Custom Switch Panel
Dash and door panels recently Dyed Black, and new door weather stripping
20% Window tint
Redneck ram hydro assist to improve factory configuration
ORD Steering brace /and frame kit to add Strength
Solargizer
Doghead mod
Electric fuel Pump
Mighty Max Pioneer kit
60" Highlift
Unity Spotlight
Custom Rock Sliders - ( tubes by Shankem -Deep )
Dual 350cc Viair Onboard Air system, custom installed with Larger air tank and outlets at front bumper, each rear wheel well and in rear by tailgate.
Quick paint job using numerous cans of Krylon camo and going by TM's for camo pattern

TO DO LIST
Turbo ( 6.5L already have 99% of parts ) just for the added torque and WOW factor

Doing 4L80 .... to add a true fourth gear for extended highway use with current setup

Rear bumper build ( to match front and Sliders )

Rear Disc Conversion to loose some weight and increase braking

sliding tray for equipment in rear

extensive body work

A/C

Rollcage

This is a certainly good thread... and wanted to just add my 2cents
Sounds like an Awesome Rig! If I am ever down your way in the future I would like to take an in-person look at her.

Crewdawg141

I can't afford to "restore" anything and don't really own anything that is "stock".

My M1028 was the cheapest way to buy a truck that didn't need many upgrades to go wheeling. To date the only mods I've done are to lift the front 1" with DIY4x's EZ-inch to space the front axle for my 9.00-16 superlugs (with minor trim at the very front of the front fenders). I guess I also ditched the front swaybar.

These trucks are a great value for any budget-minded wheeler / gearhead. I've wheeled the snot out of it and I haven't broken anything. It's been crazy dependable and capable. I'll mod it more as time goes on, but that's what gearheads do. Tinkering with my ride is irresistible to me and always will be.
I can wholly agree with the affording a restoration, and nothing that I own is truly stock. My CUCV changes will be inexpensive mod's and updates but nothing too expensive until I can move some other toys out of my possession.
If it ain't broke, modify it!

Cucvnut

What else have you done to your CUCV?
1984 M1008 CUCV
with a 6.2 (slow)
TH400
NP241 better low gear than a 208 junked the 208 i have the 205 to make a 241/205 doubler
4 inch rancho springs with a ORD zero rate for front lift
14ff with Detroit locker
Dana 60 with a Trac Lok both with 4.56 gears
Interior cage
37 good year h1 tires (soon to be 42's)(still slow)
Stereo with MB quart component speakers and 4x60 amp and a Alpine EQ
24v Deuce truck lights
Rock ram hydro assist steering
WFO cross over steering
ORD shackle flip with stock springs and a zero rate.
Custom Dana 60 diff cover
DH relay mod
Eletric fuel pump

To install

10k winch
External transmission cooler with fan
Swap out rear springs for M1028 set up for more capacity

Someday

4l80E with stand alone controller (I have crontroller)
Diff front bumper
Rear Disc Conversion

Last edited:

Crewdawg141

1984 M1008 CUCV
with a 6.2 (slow)
TH400
NP241 better low gear than a 208 junked the 208 i have the 205 to make a 241/205 doubler
4 inch rancho springs with a ORD zero rate for front lift
14ff with Detroit locker
Dana 60 with a Trac Lok both with 4.56 gears
Interior cage
37 good year h1 tires (soon to be 42's)(still slow)
Stereo with MB quart component speakers and 4x60 amp and a Alpine EQ
24v Deuce truck lights
Rock ram hydro assist steering
WFO cross over steering
ORD shackle flip with stock springs and a zero rate.
Custom Dana 60 diff cover
DH relay mod
Eletric fuel pump

To install

10k winch
External transmission cooler with fan
Swap out rear springs for M1028 set up for more capacity

Someday

4l80E with stand alone controller (I have crontroller)
Diff front bumper
Rear Disc Conversion

Nice Rig, I was reading your build thread and it helped answer a few questions that I was pondering. So how often do you take your rig off the beaten path?

bshupe

I like the posts that have information about what your doing but in this thread I was really driving at why your doing what your doing and how do you see yourself balancing between extremes or just tossing out the idea of having an MV at all and just cutting it up for your own pleasure. I would love it if we could keep it to this idea.

Thanks!

wayne pick

My truck is not stock, nor is it modified to any great lenth. The 700R4 and flatbed mods were made by the PO, and were a big factor in my purchasing it. Like chevyCUCV, I have configured the truck to my needs and to make it more reliable. I will keep the creature comforts as they are, uncomfortable. The sparten design of these trucks is what makes them unique and set aside from the rest. People look at my truck and say "no AC, rollup windows"? If I wanted those things, I would have found an 86 civilian K30 that hasn't turned into topsoil by now and been done with it. I feel blessed that it came with a factory floor mat.

Crewdawg141

I like the posts that have information about what your doing but in this thread I was really driving at why your doing what your doing and how do you see yourself balancing between extremes or just tossing out the idea of having an MV at all and just cutting it up for your own pleasure. I would love it if we could keep it to this idea.

Thanks!

In regards to my M1009, I am keeping the truck true to its soul of a MV. However, I am going to alter the truck to make it more to my desires or the liking of my wife to a degree (to spend time with her and my truck). All of my plans are simple but purposeful. My personal balance is to keep the Camo pattern, and the mechanical/electrical side of the truck will be Stock or as close to stock as possible. The biggest modification that I am making to the truck is going to be in the interior. I am making it all the same color (black) and making it more comfortable to get her to come with me to events.

If I purchase a Deuce or something of the sort it will be a pure MV, it will be restored to its full Mil Spec Glory. The M1008/M1009 are much more adaptable (modifiable) due to its close relation to its civilian counterparts. It is because of this fact that I was drawn to these trucks, I can make it mine while keeping it a MV.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I second the Dog Head starter relay mod as being the most important. I believe the second most important is to replace the harmonic balancer.

Keith_J

Another vote for the harmonic damper. Most of the crankshaft and block failures are caused by the damper failing or just getting old. The rubber hardens, then loses its damping capacity.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks