• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Capability vs. Vulnerability & Sophistication vs. Complexity

jeeplvr247

Just to add my two cents worth to this thread, I prefer the MVs left stock. When I had my '09 I only replaced maintenance things, I would have considered doing some mods (like the dog head relay) but cash flow was very low. Now I just spend all my time undoing all of the "improvements" that were made to my jeep over the last 60 years:)

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } My M151A2 was my first MV. My wife and I put 6,000 mi on it in 35 degree to 100 degree temperatures, heavy rainstorms with street ponding. After all those miles, my wife and I wanted a military vehicle with doors that lock, windows that roll up, and heat that works. Having a truck that can tow 6,000 lbs was a bonus. The M1009 fit our requirements perfectly. We wanted it to remain stock but with a few creature comforts and modifications. The CUCV we bought was professionally converted to 12 volt, had GM factory A/C installed, a Class 3 hitch installed, trailer brake wiring and control, and a 40 MM ammo can bolted between the driver seats. The 12 volt setup made sense due to the installation of an HR-6 compressor. It also makes my life easier when charging the batteries and buying parts for the 6.2L. The A/C is a blessing especially during Florida summers. We kept the truck stock otherwise. It's a great truck and I'm thankful we bought one.

Future modifications: replace all the weatherstripping, install sound insulation and rubberized flooring, paint the exterior, install a gauge package to keep an eye on oil pressure and temperatures.

It is not my place on this planet to judge anyone anywhere about anything. I am thankful I live in a country that allows me to own a piece of history and am able to use it to honor our military.

Personally I lean towards mods that will increase it's durability and useability off road. There are already lots of good road 4x4's but few that can be field fixed and beat in the bush cheaply. To that end however, some mods are not simple bolt on/off reversible but yet are ones that contribute to better functioning.

Keith_J

I've jump started many vehicles, NATO cables and the older USGI two-pin slave cables make it a SNAP. So keeping the 24 volt setup is a must for me. Plus you have a spare alternator in the CUCV so if the left alternator goes out, swap the alternators and you can self-recover.

You also have a virtually untapped second 12 volt source in the back battery if you cannot get 24 volt accessories. But if you want 120 volt power, 24 volt inverters are available.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From a mods point of view. When this forum was started the only other medium was a mailing list for MVs and the G. On both of them if you so much as added hubcaps you would be chastized. As this forum grew we wanted to make it a place where all MV enthusiasts, stock or hotrod, would be welcome. The 715 zone welcomed modded stuff but was going through somne growing pains. I think we have done pretty well at balancing the site betwwen the purists and the utilitarians. I would hope that no one is thrashed for doing what they want with their personal property.

You can imagine the crap I got when I put the Multifuel in the vintage M108.

Crewdawg141

From a mods point of view. When this forum was started the only other medium was a mailing list for MVs and the G. On both of them if you so much as added hubcaps you would be chastized. As this forum grew we wanted to make it a place where all MV enthusiasts, stock or hotrod, would be welcome. The 715 zone welcomed modded stuff but was going through somne growing pains. I think we have done pretty well at balancing the site betwwen the purists and the utilitarians. I would hope that no one is thrashed for doing what they want with their personal property.

You can imagine the crap I got when I put the Multifuel in the vintage M108.

I think that so far this site is pretty balanced. My personal approach to things is to enjoy them, if that means to make it better in some way so be it. These trucks are not stock in a sense when we buy them so that lets me not feel bad that I am making changes to it to make it better in my eyes. I have a 55 Chevy 210 project that I bought only because it was NOT original. Being that it is no longer how it was lets me do what ever my hearts desire to it. If I come across a true original vehicle that I want to own, I am compelled to keep it that way.

Kudos to you for being creative with your project!

What is the most important/valuable improvement to any CUCV?

For me... the most valuable improvement I have made was changing out the 208 for the 203/205 Doubler transfer case. instead of a chain drive, which will stretch over use/time. I went with true gearing... with the ability to chose which axle I want to engage. I can run solely in front wheel Drive..High, orlow. Or just the rear axle with the same... or both for fully 4x4 capability. and then from there I can stop, slip into neutral and switch the 203 from high to low and double my 205 low gearing,with the 6.2l and the torque it has, I just let it just creep along all over all kinds of terrain. I find myself on trails, a lot only using the rear axle in low... and when the terrain gets rough, and can immediately engage the front and keep going... Granted there are still some obstacles I try to avoid, But.. I know I have and can make it through a lot tougher trails and offroad terrain with my setup now as opposed to a stock configuration as well as the Humvee... I drove the shizzy out of them while I was in.. and know their abilities and limitations. I'm in no way knocking the Humvees, as they are a well versed vehicle IMHO..

Bshupe, was this what you are wanting in this discussion?

bshupe

The open dialog from all levels of experience and enthusiasm is what I was hoping for and I think that even in the early life of this thread we have seen that. I dont want to play moderator here but at the same time I (and others) will gain the most by not starting another debate where we try to hash out dogmatic answers but rather, have a little spot where ideas are stated openly.... sort of like brainstorming. I am discriminating enough to see everyone's thoughts and ideas, pick and choose the ones I like and sometimes push several together to create something all together new and put it in to action in my driveway.

I hope everyone else will be able to gain some similar benefit in the process. This is the true power of the internet aimed at our little corner of the hobby universe.

Thanks again to all who have thoughtfully read, considered responded to the posts here!

PeeWeeQ

My 2cents;

I think a vehicle should reflect the taste and personality of the individual. In other words, you should be able to tell something about that person by examining their vehicle. When you see mine, it will (eventually) be obvious that I am not satisfied with stock look or function. I like to build everything I have to suit my needs and tastes. My wife says it's 'cause I don't like anything I have to be like anyone else's. That's pretty much it.

In my CUCV; I want to lift it for a bit more clearance (just enough for practicality; nothing crazy--4-6" will probably do) for winter snow and summer trail, and add a snowplow and a winch. I have to have a stereo for tunes, I have Herculiner on the whole floor pan, I have a CB, a few 12V sockets, a GPS, and a custom center console to keep essentials close at hand. I'm adding a Kat's 1500W circulating heater for the winter months, some KC daylighters, building a roof rack, will add larger tires (33"-35"), and will probably upgrade to 4.10 gears. I'd like to do 1Ton's 203/205 setup with some heavier axles, but that's waaaaay down the road.

But, I also like most of the things that make it an 'old Army CUCV.' I like the weapons racks in back, the black-out lights, the 24V electrical, the sling points on the bumpers, towing pintle, even the tire pressure 'reminders' on the fenders, the unit designators on the bumpers, and certainly the woodland camo paint job. I'd kind of like people to look at it and say "Yep, that's an old Army truck for sure, but, what did he do to it....?"

It's all up to what you like. Don't take any judgement to the contrary seriously...

PeeWee:)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks