• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CARC paint;how to remove-yet another question...

Nonotagain

According to this:

III

the military didn't start using CARC paint until 1974.

Is it safe to assume, then, that any pre-74 vehicles are NOT painted in CARC?
If the vehicle has CARC applied, there will be a stencil indicating the date of application. No stencil, no CARC.

Vehicles that were built prior to 1987 or so would have been either field or depot CARC'd.

I've worked on testing or applications of CARC coatings for almost 25 years.

The Army changed their paint specifications in the late 80's to require the use of CARC paints.

ryan77

My m1009 is painted in carc but there is no stencil mark anywhere, use the nail polish remover and rag check if unsure...But im using 30 grit and its burning up the pads..

wdbtchr

My M51A2 dump has it on the right front fender just below the exhaust cutout, just CARC by itself. The DTC 8606 has it on the right front fender also,
WCARC
05 01 :roll:

emr

like snarky said, it needs the same exact precautions every other paint has, and thats it, one simple thing to remember about safety is, the finer the dust the deeper into the lungs it goes, wear a good resperator all the time on these and every truck or car. ...OH for those affraid of CARC paint I have spent years becoming immune and can take all CARC painted trucks off anyones hands cheap... :)

Unforgiven

If you have a CARC painted vehicle & want to do some welding on it, how far from the weld do you remove the CARC? Also, some people say cured CARC will give off toxic fumes when heated. Are heat areas around the engine/exhaust releasing fumes?

This guy says anything above 400 degrees is dangerous.

Chemical Agent Resistant Coating (CARC)

So I guess a BBQ smoker mounted in a CARC painted military trailer is out of the question?

acesneights1

I have to paint my CUCV. PO painted over th CARC with white enamel. It's not peeling or flaking. Can I just scuff the white and paint the CARC back over it ?

ryan77

Carc is easy paint to work with i would scuff it up everywhere clean it good and spray.....I just painted my m1009 and the waterborne sherwin williams carc was the easiest paint ive ever used went on good, no runs, duarble, and supper easy clean up, use the hardner and distilled water and ur set.

Nonotagain

If you have a CARC painted vehicle & want to do some welding on it, how far from the weld do you remove the CARC? Also, some people say cured CARC will give off toxic fumes when heated. Are heat areas around the engine/exhaust releasing fumes?

This guy says anything above 400 degrees is dangerous.

Chemical Agent Resistant Coating (CARC)

So I guess a BBQ smoker mounted in a CARC painted military trailer is out of the question?
DO NOT use CARC for items like manifolds and mufflers that exceed 400°F. Doing so may produce toxic fumes and/or equipment damage.
Polyurethane paints were never intended for use on parts exposed to temperatures greater than 250F and only for short term exposure.

NEVER weld or cut CARC-coated materials.
This same caution applies to all paints.

CARC is not used on fabric, metals that have anodized or parkerized finishes (like weapons).
CARC coatings are not applied to any untreated surfaces. The use of a primer is required. Anodized aluminum requires the use of a wash primer prior to the application of corrosion inhibiting primer then the application of the CARC topcoat.

MIL-DTL-64159 Water Dispersible CARC:
  • Is more flexible after application.
  • Is more durable and doesn't scratch as easily as the old CARC.
  • Is much more durable in all weather conditions.
  • Doesn't fade like the old CARC.
Both Mil-Dtl-53039 and Mil-Dtl-64159 have the same requirements for fade resistance and flexibility. Check out www.everyspec.com for the specifications.

acesneights1

So does the CARC need any special primer or can I paint it right over scuff'd enamel ? Someone painted white enamel over the CARC paint on my CUCV so rather than strip it can I just scuff the white paint(It is automotive paint) and respray the truck with CARC ?
The white paint is in good condition and appears to be adhered well to the CARC.

ChanceHandy

OK gentlemen,

I've read all the postings and it seems like everyone is stripping CARC off of steel. What do you do for an aluminum HMMWV? AM General's quality control obviously didn't make it down the hallway to the paint department. There's not an ounce of primer on the body. Where the CARC is flaking off it goes directly to anodized aluminum. In other places it's like part of the metal. Go figure.

Sanding, abrasive blasting, or needle guns are out because they'll remove the anodizing and leave the aluminum suceptible to oxidation. Has anyone done large areas with either of the strippers mentiioned?

My truck has an ambulance body on it and expansion and contraction have cause some of the body rivets on top to loosen up and weep in wet weather. What I want to do is to strip the entire top and then use Line X or Herculiner on it to seal it again. Since it's paintable I can make it green again fairly easily.

I can't comment on removing CARC from aluminum with Aircraft stripper but to repaint it you can do the following

1. Clean with rotary wire brush or grit blasting. If aluminum is already anodized then this abrasive cleaning is not suggested as you will remove any anodize coating.
2. [FONT=&quot]I would recomend Aerowash @ 10-15% concentration from Henkel. Then apply a deoxidizer. suggest Ridoline 4450 @ 100 % concentration again from Henkel (this is technically the proper procedure but this can probably be skipped and replaced with a good acetone or ethanol wipe if your on a budget)
3. If surface is anodized skip to step 4. If it is not anodized use Alodine 5700 pretreatment. This can be sprayed out of any spray bottle onto the bare aluminum.
4. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Prime: use MIL-PRF-23377 Type I, Class N epoxy primer[/FONT]
5. Paint with [FONT=&quot]MIL-DTL-53039 Type II CARC

If done properly I've seen this hold up under some absolutely brutal conditions.

[/FONT]

Unforgiven

Carc is easy paint to work with i would scuff it up everywhere clean it good and spray.....I just painted my m1009 and the waterborne sherwin williams carc was the easiest paint ive ever used went on good, no runs, duarble, and supper easy clean up, use the hardner and distilled water and ur set.

Did you apply that over the original CARC? That seems like the easiest solution. Paint over the old CARC with new CARC or equivalent substitute.

Can you brush on the Sherwin Williams stuff or do you have to spray it?

JCKnife

I have been using aircraft stripper . it is working well . I have several coats of carc . It gets off all the carc on the first coat , then it takes a second coat of stripper to get the factory paint off .
Holy cow, that is amazing!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks