• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CARC paint;how to remove-yet another question...

rtbcoop

I've been doing a lot of CARC removal lately so I figured I would add my 2cents and experiences.

Stripper wheel: Not the crappy type that goes on your drill, the nice type that attaches to your angle grinder. Works AMAZING! Very fast and cuts right through the CARC to the bare metal without cutting into the metal itself. Does not work so well in small spaces. Also on the expensive side ($10 each). One wheel will strip a hood before it needs to be replaced.

Chemical stripper: I used Klean-Strip with plastic wrap. Works well but you usually have to use two coats. Works well in tight areas. You do not need to get the aircraft rated type, just the standard stuff from Home Depot. Costs about $20 per gallon but a gallon goes a long ways.

Toast it: I will not endorse this method for the sole fact that I do not want the EPA knocking on my door. However, this method is very cheap and works well. Grab a large propane torch (like the Inferno) and go to town. MAKE SURE YOU ARE UPWIND AND WEARING A VERY GOOD RESPIRATOR!!! This smoke is HIGHLY toxic. One whiff and you will be talking like Ozzy the rest of the day. Because of the smoke, I don't really suggest this method.

Craftsman Sand Blaster (mentioned earlier in this thread): Works ok but only on very small detailed parts (window frames for example). Does not do well on large areas because it takes so long. The benefit is that it is extremely cheap if you live close to the beach :whistle:

Pressure Washer: Did not work but mine may not have been powerful enough.

Overall, I would suggest the stripper wheels or the Klean-Strip. Both work well, are fast, and fairly cheap. Hope this helps.

yolner

I've been doing a lot of CARC removal lately so I figured I would add my 2cents and experiences.

Stripper wheel: Not the crappy type that goes on your drill, the nice type that attaches to your angle grinder. Works AMAZING! Very fast and cuts right through the CARC to the bare metal without cutting into the metal itself. Does not work so well in small spaces. Also on the expensive side ($10 each). One wheel will strip a hood before it needs to be replaced.
Here is a very good source of high quality stripping wheels. I bought 10 of the extra coarse ones and they work great. They're even cheaper there than buying from harbor freight.

http://www.lehighvalleyabrasives.com/servlet/the-Clean-&-Strip-Discs/Categories

Adrian A

If you use a standard dual action 6" air sander and lock the pad so it does not orbit, and some 80 grit paper, that paint will sand nicely. A buffer with a hookit pad and 40 paper will buzz it down in a hurry too.

Keith_J

Knotted wire wheel in an angle grinder also works well, making less respirable dust with larger chips. Still, you should wear a nuisance mask and goggles with face shield. Northern Tool has the best deal on wire wheels, they last about the same as others at half the price.

If you go the chemical stripper route, a good pressure washer is your friend. I use polyethylene film to cover the surface to retard evaporation. Wear a rain suit with rubber boots, it gets messy in a hurry.

I avoid sanding just because of the dust. And it gets expensive with quality abrasives.

61sleepercab

However you remove finish with chemicals or physical sanding, protect yourself from fumes and silica sand dust. Silica sand is a killer as hundreds of tunnelers died in West Virginia in the construction of the Hawk Nest Tunnel for a hydro power station. The cut through rock was about 100% silica and with no protection you get silica lung and like a coal miner with black lung you just cannot breathe. Be careful, a pretty paint job is no good if you do not have the wind to steer the truck. Mark

Heath_h49008

I'll have a video up shortly. I tested the Harbor Freight polycarbide grinder wheels.

Wow. Simply, wow.

I'm going to use a 3 step process.

1. Needle scaler for the flaking paint and tight corners with thick layers. Tested and it works well... but only on the flaking/peeling stuff.

2. Harbor Freight polycarbide wheels on the grinder. Fast... very fast. But on the flaking stuff, it actually seemed to heat the paint edge and stick it down before it tore it off. Too big to get the tight corners.

3. Hydroblaster/wet sandblaster/pressurewasher sandblaster. Tested this on a rim and it ripped a single layer of paint off in seconds. Thick paint laughs at it. It's great for tight areas and corners.

I'm going to load the vid tomorrow. I'm beat.

infidel got me

I have read about removing carc paint for about a hour and want to know if anyone has tried to remove it from a tire.my friend has purchased 8 mich.14-20 that were mounted on rims while painted.i tried paint remover stripper power washer brake clnr.etc.i then used a roloc disc on a cut off tool-took 30 minutes to do half a tire,and that side was lightly painted.the tread is 90% on tires,it just looks tacky with tan sidewalls-really tacky any tricks thanks for your time
will

EwaMarine

we we strip aircraft we use a hydrogen peroxide stripper...its sprayed on and left alone...then its pressure washed off . The droppings dry its swept up then thrown away. Klean stripper works well if brushed in the same direction then COVERED with plastic or foil so that it GASSES on the surface of whats to be stripped. It works Try that.

acesneights1

I use a respirator with Hepa P100 cartridges. An 8 inch DA Mudhawg takes it right off with 120 grit but you will use alot of paper. I buy the cheap Norton stuff at the carshow swap meets.

Shark Bait

I have read about removing carc paint for about a hour and want to know if anyone has tried to remove it from a tire.my friend has purchased 8 mich.14-20 that were mounted on rims while painted.i tried paint remover stripper power washer brake clnr.etc.i then used a roloc disc on a cut off tool-took 30 minutes to do half a tire,and that side was lightly painted.the tread is 90% on tires,it just looks tacky with tan sidewalls-really tacky any tricks thanks for your time
will
i use a sheet of paper bent along then rim as a paint shield and spray the tire with Rustoleum camo flat black paint. Looks like clean rubber.

linhster

Removal of CARC for restoration.

What is the best method for CARC removal. I am starting with the suspensions and hubs. These steel parts are showing corrosions and I wanted to clean them up before doing the overhaul on the hubs.

hummer4x4guy

Not sure if dry ice blasting will remove carc but it's something to look into if there is a place nearby that does it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
just remove from parts that show damage.... its not the safest stuff to be exposed to. and you cant beat the protection it offers..

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The dust from CARC removal is very bad stuff, it will lead to long term health problems. If you decide to have someone blast it. Ensure you make them aware that it is just not paint, its CARC.

pjwest03

A needle scaler works quite well. HF ones work pretty well and are cheap. Norton paint stripping disks work quite well on a 4" grinder. Wet sand blasting if you gave a strong pressure washer is quite effective and controls the dust. Uses a lot of sand. Wear a good high quality filter mask. CARC contains fine silica. That is the flattening agent.

SF4SP

I know this thread is kinda old but I was looking into the same thing of figuring out how to remove the paing off a Humvee which has multiple surface types. There is this service called "Dustless Blasting" and there are mobile units all over the country. Type it into YouTube, it's well worth checking it out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks