• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cargo Cover Contemplations - What a mess!

Deuce-bigalo

OK - so, in my quest for a deuce, I also have been on a quest for Bows and Cargo covers. As there is one Deuce specifically I am interested in it doesn't have the Bows, stakes or cargo cover. Yet there are troop seats. :roll:
Here is the :banghead: :

There are those out there charging $1350 :freaked: for a vinyl kit w/all hardware (bows, etc) http://www.bretonindustries.com/military_parts.html (go down to mid page and look under the Medium duty M35 Cargo Cover)

Then there are those who have ones not exactly for the M35, but will work on a M35, just the Cargo Cover is $150 [^] and he has Aluminum bows that I guess are round?? www.idahomotorpool.com/ Go down 3/4 of the page and you'll see:

"5 Ton Fitted Cover Kit for the back of a 5 ton truck NEW IN BOX! The kit is for a dump truck BUT works good on a 5 ton cargo and 2.5 Ton! The shipping box it comes in, weighs 515 lb, is 4' x 8' 2' high it has all the bows and mounting accessories."

Yet Saturn surplus has just cargo covers for $390+ yet I have not seen a bow setup yet.

I found the bows for $125 a set of 5 wooden ones. Where are other places to get them?

There is no consistancy in price and I don't care if it's Canvas or Vinyl. I would think the vinyl would be lighter, easier to manage and I'm not sure about resistance to tearing. I have covered with Canvas before and it's not that hard to have a tear start in it.

I would like to call on the vast knowledgebase that is SS and get your past experience and knowledge.

<FONT face=Verdana>Please advise! :smhair: </FONT>

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try Ebay user mig21usa. He's in central OH and has a set of bows on ebay right now. His business name is Rogers Military Surplus and there are some folks here that bought trucks from him.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try Ebay user mig21usa. He's in central OH and has a set of bows on ebay right now. His business name is Rogers Military Surplus and there are some folks here that bought trucks from him.

Jim145

I put a 5 ton cover on my deuce, It works well, you just need to put approx 2 feet more towards the front. I picked it up on ebay for $300 new in crate with bows and end covers. Just check out ebay, once in a while there on there. I personaly think $1350 is steep.

Deuce-bigalo

baja power said:
Roger is a stand up guy.. I will be heading to his lot sometime this week...
If you don't mind BP, check to see what he has for Cover, bows and such. Colors too if he has anything other than green. Either post or let me know via PM please!

Thanks!

Deuce-bigalo

I do think $1350 is steep, bout crapped my britches when I saw that. Thankfully though I don't have an 8x8 as those are going for like $3000+.

That's why I wondered what y'all have done to get them. I figured I would keep an eye on e-bay yet I only have seen like 2 corner pieces at a time and I need like 10 right?

Also, with the troop seats is it just the bows and corner pieces or are there more parts?

Do you guys like the vinyl over the canvas? What's the preference? I am not trying to stay 100% of wht is SUPPOSED to be on there initially! Perhaps a spare canvas for down the road....

baja_power

[2]
I will see what i can do... [:)]

my truck( which i bought from roger) came with one.. not all of his do. mine had some rust on it so it came with it to boost value. not all do..

i prefer the vinyl. i just like how it looks. plus its water tight... well sort of..

what paint scheme are you looking for?
[/2]

Deuce-bigalo

baja power said:
[2]
I will see what i can do... [:)]

my truck( which i bought from roger) came with one.. not all of his do. mine had some rust on it so it came with it to boost value. not all do..

i prefer the vinyl. i just like how it looks. plus its water tight... well sort of..

what paint scheme are you looking for?
[/2]
The truck I am looking at has some rust too, but that is repairable. I personally am more concerned with the drivetrain being solid.

The truck I am looking at has a 3 paint desert camo. I would be interested in a Tan or Green vinyl cargo cover. Prefer a Tan one mostly though.

I think having the 5 ton cargo cover would be better as it cover side to side and front (all the way down to the bed) and back (all the way down to the bed.)

I appreciate it BP - it's nice to have willing to help you people on this site! [thumbzup]

John

Jim145

The 5 ton fits side to side pretty close compared to the cover that originally came off my truck(going down the road at 50 mph) my old cover was pretty beat.

Kaiserjeeps

I bought a 5 ton cover (vinyl) and with some careful measuring and cutting I was able to use a very strong flexible industrial contact cement to glue one of the ends back on successfully making a 2.5 ton cover that looks great. I did a very thorough write up with pics on it here at SS. So far months later it still fits good, does not leak, and the glue joint is sound as ever. It is not hard if done carefully.

Dowhee

I just picked up a set (7 bows) for the M36A2C 18 foot long bed dropside, from Joe Young. They're not pretty, but they'll serve me well. (Thanks Joe)

Does anyone know where I can get a vinyl cargo cover for the extra length of the M36A2C (18 foot bed)?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I can just remember his email, Hankie Facovec had a bunch of them a few years ago. He was having a time selling them. I'll search my records.

Dowhee

Thanks,

I "Googled" Frankie's name and came up with a posting re: a parade in Alabama. Hopefully that gentlemen will have Frankie's contact info.

Dowhee

Bucks County, PA

1980 M36A2C Long Bed Cargo Dropside

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just spoke with ronzo, he said they may have one cover left that was used to cover something. Email him, he's checking on it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks