• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CARNAC's Historical VIN INFO Thread

rickf

Question here, NDT, Is what you are putting up here in acrobat the same as what Carnac put up in Excel? Or is this in addition to that?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question here, NDT, Is what you are putting up here in acrobat the same as what Carnac put up in Excel? Or is this in addition to that?
Same data, just published in PDF. Worked on the M35A2 WOW data all day yesterday. Still not finished.

rickf

Thanks, I have been saving all of this to my computer even though a lot of it does not pertain to me but at least it will all be in one spot for future reference when the subject comes up again. I am not putting it in any special order at this point since I do not have the skills that some of you guys have with computers but it will be here.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK after TWO DAYS of working on this all day long (free time thanks to COVID), the M35A2 database is cleaned up more or less. Important points:
This file is M35A2 without winch only. With winch data was not pulled from the database prior to it going off line.
The UIC (unit information code) is the right most column and is only available for a fraction of the trucks. I have no idea how to decode it. The data for the rest of the trucks was not pulled from the database prior to it going off line. Sorry, get busy with sandpaper on your bumpers.
If you notice the last two digits of the Army registration number coincides with the year of manufacture in some cases, that is no accident, one of the systems in use during the 1960's did display that way.
There are hundreds of incorrect clerical entries in this database: too many digits in the serial number, wrong year, serial entered in the registration number field, etc. If the trucks before and after your serial number are 1966's and yours is a 1975, guess what, yours is really a 1966.
The converted gas trucks (serial number starting with "M") did indeed get different year of manufacture data entered IN SOME CASES, not all.
Same thing with the M35A1 trucks, they became reclassed as M35A2s and sometimes the year changed away from 1962 etc.
You will also notice that many 1960's trucks are assigned registration numbers of the "NK" pattern, which did not exist in the 1960s. That supports that indeed, trucks were assigned new registration numbers for various reasons (rebuild/reset).

As discovered by D Doyle, there are numerous "series" of Kaiser/AM General trucks. In the case of the M35A2s, they are series 1 (S/N starts with 125) series 2 (S/N starts with 225), series 3 (S/N starts with 325), series 4 (S/N starts with 425), series 5 (S/N starts with 525), series 8 (S/N starts with 825), and series 10 (S/N starts with 10). A rough estimation of the number of M35A2 WOW (no M35 or M35A1) trucks produced by Kaiser Jeep/AM General from 1965 to 1980's (excluding the 10 series) is 84,000 trucks. Figure in another 10% for with winch, that is around 100,000 trucks!

There was quite a bit of data that did not make sense, such as serial numbers that do not follow any established pattern. These may have been made by Utica Bend or other manufacturers. There were also some entries that did not have serial numbers but did have year of manufacture and registration numbers. Not sure if that is of much use, but I left the data there (Lost and Found).

If you have always wondered how the alpha-numerical progression of the various registration number systems worked, this database will answer that.

If your truck is not listed here, it is still possible to use the data to extrapolate your registration number. Put your serial number between the two nearest serial numbers in the database and follow the registration number pattern to increment it to your registration number.

Attachments

HDN

Is there any M35A3 data around, or are those too new? I remember CARNAC posting some A3 VINs in the past...

I think it would be awesome to see what trucks were recycled, but that was probably never tracked.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any M35A3 data around, or are those too new? I remember CARNAC posting some A3 VINs in the past...

I think it would be awesome to see what trucks were recycled, but that was probably never tracked.
The A3s would have been in the database, but no queries were made of the A3 NSN's prior to the database going off line.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I'll go back through my files just to make sure. I probably just failed to pull that data. I'm such a &$#*-up. That does it, you're fired.....I mean I'm fired....but I thought it's you're fired....but now "you" are "I"....but I said "You're fired".....no, you don't understand....wait is you I or is you you?......no, I is I there is no you is you...... (can someone stop these voices in my head).

rickf

I'll go back through my files just to make sure. I probably just failed to pull that data. I'm such a &$#*-up. That does it, you're fired.....I mean I'm fired....but I thought it's you're fired....but now "you" are "I"....but I said "You're fired".....no, you don't understand....wait is you I or is you you?......no, I is I there is no you is you...... (can someone stop these voices in my head).
Can you share some of those drugs?

f3504x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dedicated to all Heimdallrs from 1971 to 2018. May your G and H cards be accepted.

FAQ:
-Following info is kinda dumbed down, let's keep it dumbed down.

-The system was the Tactical Equipment Database (TEDB) and went on-line around 1971 (I have a manual from 1975 when we used key punch cards that you kids wouldn't understand) and expanded from unit to unit over an unknown period (maybe as late as 1985). Vehicles reported on property records and/or in their motorpool should have been placed into the TEDB. The database went off-line around 2014 and a kinda back door (requiring significantly more time to utilize) closed in 2018.

-Information is based on data some junior soldier put into a computer. It is only as good as the individual inputting the data was at executing their duties. I changed absolutely nothing, it is what it is.

-Not all vehicles will be here simply because the unit didn't have the database when the vehicle was there. Likewise not all personnel knew about the database. More than a few junior officers, E6's, and E7's felt my wrath for failing to input a vehicle. Oh my younger days, LOL.

-To get the following information, I had to download by NSN hence a with winch (WW) vs a without winch (WoW) are on different lists.

-The deuces were so numerous that it required downloading by using the NSN and then a letter from the Registration Number otherwise the database max'd out and would crash.

-The Status Code designated if this was an Active Record - C or an Inactive Record - H. It's a reporting thing for determining readiness and has absolutely nothing to do with the condition code of the vehicle. All records should have been put the H. I will have to track those slackers down and light a fire under their butts.

-The UIC is a Unit Identification Code. This designates the last unit that owned the vehicle. I do not have a list to provide information on what unit a UIC pertains to. In some cases with this, I've found them using a google search.

-If the year of manufacturer is blank, don't ask, I can't help you.

-This information was downloaded as part of historical preservation and in support of unpaid research for David Doyle. All I ask is if it's shared, the credit comes back to the Steel Soldiers website and CARNACs VIN INFO thread. Obviously, don't make money off of this.

-It will take a week or more to upload all of this and the deuces will probably be last. Please don't ask to have X NSN loaded. Be patient.
Thank you sir!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks