• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Center Console - Alt to Fiberglass?

01GRANDER

Hey,

I am trying to build a center console for my Hmmwv. I am making the structure out of wood but want to cover it so it looks more professional. Is there anything besides fiberglass that can be used to create a more professional look? Anything that maybe could be applied like a paste and then smoothed? Or is it pretty much just fiberglass? I’ve never used it soot could be pretty easy but I just wish there was something like bondo but lightweight and sandable.

Thanks

01GRANDER

Did you try looking for a metal cargo box with the dimensions you're thinking of?
No, I’m making a very specific shape with multiple angles and compartments. That’s why I need something to layer on top to make it more solid and more impervious to water and paintable.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, I’m making a very specific shape with multiple angles and compartments. That’s why I need something to layer on top to make it more solid and more impervious to water and paintable.
You might jump on youtube and look up broke overland he has a few episodes of him building a good looking console and headliner as sharp as ive seen.

01GRANDER

You might jump on youtube and look up broke overland he has a few episodes of him building a good looking console and headliner as sharp as ive seen.
Ok thanks I’ll check the channel out. I’ve looked at a few videos, I think some will just need to be learned but it’s good to get a good knowledge base for common issues and mistakes.

ramdough

You could coat it with a DIY spray on bed liner. That would give it a textures to hide flaws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk