• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Central FL M1031 project

deank

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good evening all!
I finally have progress to report.
1. rear brakes are complete
IMG_8074.jpeg

2. Front brakes and hubs had already been serviced by the PO (fire dept)
3. Happy to report that going to home depot to get behr paint is not as difficult as the painting thread had described. Giving the 5 digit FS code the correct color came up on screen. They mixed very well. I am going to use 383 green, 383 brown, and black. All using behr marquee, exterior flat.
IMG_8157.jpeg
IMG_8156.jpeg
IMG_8155.jpeg4. bought some aluminum patch panels at lowes and installed them today
IMG_8158.jpeg
IMG_8159.jpeg
IMG_8160.jpeg
IMG_8161.jpeg
IMG_8162.jpeg
IMG_8164.jpeg
IMG_8165.jpeg
IMG_8167.jpegIMG_8072.jpeg

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Good evening all!
View attachment 898748

3. Happy to report that going to home depot to get behr paint is not as difficult as the painting thread had described. Giving the 5 digit FS code the correct color came up on screen. They mixed very well. I am going to use 383 green, 383 brown, and black. All using behr marquee, exterior flat.
View attachment 898750
View attachment 898751
View attachment 8987524. bought some aluminum patch panels at lowes and installed them today
View attachment 898753
View attachment 898754
View attachment 898755
View attachment 898756
View attachment 898757
View attachment 898758
View attachment 898759
View attachment 898760View attachment 898762
Some of the Home Depot stores have no problems. Some of the others just have folks that work in the paint department "that just ain't right bright". Thankfully your was one of the good storys. Good for you!

Looks like you are making good progress!

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good evening all!
View attachment 898748

View attachment 898750
View attachment 898751
View attachment 8987524. bought some aluminum patch panels at lowes and installed them today
View attachment 898753
View attachment 898754
View attachment 898755
View attachment 898756
View attachment 898757
View attachment 898758
View attachment 898759
View attachment 898760View attachment 898762
Which sticker goes to which color? I want to take pics and hopefully they can scan the barcode if for some reason they cant figure it out.

deank

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A question for the community.
does anyone have access to an M1031 SCEM body that is not going to used or may be available for parts? I am looking to replace the shelves that were removed on the driver’s side of the box, all three compartments past the generator controls. And maybe one on the passenger side in the compart just behind the oxy acetylene compartment.
Thanks in advance for any help.

deank

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good afternoon, all.
Looking for assistance and thoughts today. I finally had a chance to remove the rear diff cover today. Thinking I would finally up the rear end so I could think about putting the box back on.
I found a lost of rust in the gear oil, more importantly there was a LOT of metal shavings on the magnet.
Not having rebuilt a differential since the mid 80s I am looking for advice.
IMG_8194.jpegIMG_8196.jpegIMG_8197.jpeg
what should I be looking for that would cause the metal shavings?
Thank you for any advice in advance.

deank

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good evening all,

Just looking for input. I am now shopping for rear diff rebuild kits and no spin parts.
Has anyone had any experience with the following items:

Power Torque Differential Rebuild Kit - 744A004

Yukon (YK GM14T-A) Master Overhaul Kit for GM 14T Differential

4.8 4.8 out of 5 stars 249 Reviews

Yukon Gear & Axle (YGLGM14T-30) Grizzly Locker for GM 10.5" 14 bolt truck with 30 spline axles

I have not found any other vendors for the no spin parts.

thanks for any input!

IMG_8217.jpegIMG_8226.jpegIMG_8228.jpeg

cucvrus

These rear differentials are very tough. What you showed is pretty much the norm on a 40-year-old truck. In the past I would service the fluids and run it a while and service it again. I never seen much of an issue after that. That locker is a very noisy locker and unloads the no spin at the most inopportune times. Usually when I am pulling out of a store and trying to get up speed quickly. the first time it happened was on a brand new CUCV and I swore something broke in the rear. Now that you took it apart you must reset all the adjustments. Clean the magnet, replace the gear oil and drive on. Good Luck. Be Safe.

deank

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good evening All,

I have been doing dangerous things again … reading the TMs.
Please someone tell me the difference between the front axle on an M1008 and the front axle on an M1031. I see that they have different NSNs and a difference in the LO for service. The front on the M1031 gets 4 ounces of an additive with new gear oil and the M1008 does not.
So, what is the difference?

Thanks to all who respond!
Dean

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good evening All,

I have been doing dangerous things again … reading the TMs.
Please someone tell me the difference between the front axle on an M1008 and the front axle on an M1031. I see that they have different NSNs and a difference in the LO for service. The front on the M1031 gets 4 ounces of an additive with new gear oil and the M1008 does not.
So, what is the difference?

Thanks to all who respond!
Dean
I believe the m1008 has an open front diff while the other has a limited slip.

deank

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all!
Does any one have the manufacturer and part number of the amber strobe lights used on the roof of the m1031?

thank for all replies!

dean

deank

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been gathering parts needed to replace all the tie tod ends and front shocks in the near future. Spent time today cleaning everything to put the rear diff back together this coming week. Biggest move forward lately has been putting paint on the cargo box finally. IMG_8264.jpeg
IMG_8263.jpeg
IMG_8261.jpeg
I will update photos again later today. The brown is on now also. The second coat of green is next.

deank

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Evening, All,

Had a good afternoon today. Managed to get the diff back and set today. Had to replace the diff cover though. The oil/water mix that was in the axle created a lot of pitted metal.
IMG_8273.jpeg
IMG_8294.jpeg
IMG_8295.jpeg
The axles go back in tomorrow.
Next up: finish sanding and painting the cab so the back window can go back in and the SECM can go back on.

deank

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello All.
I have manageto get few more things done lately. The back of the cab is now painted.
IMG_8366.jpeg
I hope to get the back glass in this week. Once that is done, I will be ready to put the work box back on.

Apparently either I am able to or I am not smart enough to upload video. I have been installing the LED lights on the work box

IMG_8371.png

So, all I can do are screen shots.

IMG_8373.png

I will keep trying to do a little each day. Darned lately though…

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks