• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changed my diff covers

M1008driver

I finally changed my differential covers on my M1008.

Awhile back I bought the SOLID brand covers because of price. The quality is great. I did need a couple of longer bolts on the rear diff because of a bracket and I got Lubelocker gaskets and did not use the liquid gasket they sent me.

I used Lucas Synthetic SAE 75W-90 Gear Oil. It took 7 1/2 quarts to fill both diffs. One bottle was a quart or 32 fl oz's. Lucas is more pricey, but I don't plan on doing this at regular intervals.

Attachments

HillbillyWizard

M1008Driver,
Looks nice! We have several people that go with the SOLID covers because they are priced right. Some others to consider are Ballistic (as mentioned) and Ruffstuff Specialties.

I usually go with SOLID or Ruffstuff 3/8" covers. Both are a nice product.

donalloy1

Not trying to highjack thread....

Donalloy1.... Try Ballistic Fabrication.. theirs is 3/8" thick .. and have a cool Skull logo... pretty cheap.... about 117.99 each plus shipping... thats what i have on mine...
Thanks for suggestion! I like you, not trying to detour from original thread.

HOW do I keep under RADAR? If I purchase a couple of these right now. Wife will shoot me with my own guns then double tap me with 09!:evil:

richingalveston

hydro assist bracket on diff cover?

just have to wonder how the hydro assist bracket works on the diff cover. from what I know the diff cover bolts are pretty short (threads not very deep) and having a constant push and pull does not sound like a good idea. I would think that you would be fighting leaks in the gasket on a regular basis.
I think a tab welded to the tube would be better but I could be wrong.

M1008driver

My wife said why don't I sell that old truck.

I showed her my secret stash of parts I have been slowly buying and told her how much I spent over time and how I couldn't afford to buy them all at once because I had to research and get the best price. She just looked at me and walked off.
Later she said when was I going to work on my truck. :beer:

donalloy1

All in all she is happy for me that I have it. Just need to lay low on expenditures for a little while. Do like the bullet proof diff covers. Thinking the skull style will take away from beast's looks though? Bottom line is that my originals were subjected to Utah road salt. As with rest of truck. Metal cancer is the big battle here!

M1008driver

My diff covers look good and I no longer have little drips on my driveway. I like them. I could easily tell the difference in my OEM CUCV and new diff covers. Both will work, the SOLID brand is stronger by far.

the skull covers come unpainted, I painted mine with some eitching primer, and than some high quailty flat black BBQ grll paint, and went back and painted the skull...

thinking when i start on the bodywork in the fall, i will go back and paint axles again flat black.. and do the Skull OD green...

the skull itself is just tacked on.. at the forehead and nose.. so you could easliy pry and grind it off... to give it that stock look... but knowing its literally bullet proof...

Last edited:

Maverick1701

those solid covers are nice. I bought one for my truck a while ago when they went on sale for some ungodly cheap price.
Very cool mod!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks