• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changing the belts on my deuce

peashooter

Just changed mine this weekend without the tool. I used a pair of channel locks and a big pipe wrench, works fine. Improvise, adapt, and overcome.
.... as long as it isnt rusted on too tight. No way mine would have come off with channel locks or a pipe wrench, I tried. I guess like many things, "results may vary"

Ford Mechanic

+1 Yeah mine wasn't rusted bad, and I started soaking it with PB 3 days in advance. After breaking it loose I took it off and put it back on by hand. And of couse retightened with tools per the TM. Thanks to David from Scottland Neck NC for the tip!

jbeachmba

I have found the TM and searched them but am having trouble finding the instructions for changing the compressor belt. Can one of you help me find the TM9-2320-209-20-1, 2, 3, 4 location and page where the instructions can be found. I appreciate the help.

sandcobra164

I can't cite the page in the TM but I'm sure I could find it pretty quickly. Anyhow, park truck and disable batteries first. Remove two bolts on the front of the compressor pulley. Rotate outer half of compressor pulley counterclockwise, remove out half, remove belt. Install new belt, tie a string around it. Pull string from the bottom most edge of crank pulley. Start outer side of compressor pulley back onto the threads. Rotate Clockwise. When it contacts the belt, work the belt up into the "groove" as best you can. When you have it somewhat started, reconnect the batteries, bump the engine over with the fuel control pulled out and attempt to rotate the outer pulley half clockwise. I normally repeat this step 5 or 6 times and I use the special wrenches. I once tried to loosen a air compressor pulley using some of the methods previously mentioned in this thread and learned quickly that the outer pulley is made out of cheap brittle "pot metal". I broke a bolt hole ear off and ordered the tools. Got it off on the second go around with the tools.

jbeachmba

Thanks for the note.

If you can find and point me to the correct TM I would appreciate it. I am working to get the wrenches ordered since it appears to be the correct way to go.

Thanks for the help.

Ford Mechanic

T M 9 - 2 3 2 0 - 2 0 9 - 2 0 - 3 - 2 Page 13-258 Compressor belt removal, replacement, and adjustment. Tip for navigating the manuals...... On the left side of the page click on table of contents. Then you can scroll down and view what's in that manual and where then click on the furthest right red highlighted numbers to go straight to that page. Someone else had to show me that trick, I couldn't find anything in the manuals much less tell you what particular operation was in a particular TM. Side note has anyone else had a issues with the Enter key on this site today? It doesn't work for me and works fine on any other site and in word.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks